Are Esher demos the greatest out-of-nowhere gift to fans in rock history?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spice9, Nov 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigitalDave74

DigitalDave74 Forum Resident

I refuse to say it with a long E. I'm sticking to that.

Deek57 likes this.
  2. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

This is correct. They obviously could have released these back then and made a killing.

I really think the whole Anthology thing was a waste of time/product. It interfered with the Live at the BBC series that might otherwise have been forthcoming (or, you know, the entire thing being made available), teased a few Esher demos only, and generally got in the way of a batch of really good, standalone releases that might otherwise have been issued.

It succeeded in being a big hype to keep Ringo out of more Pizza Hut commercials and to allow George to pay off his tax bills and whatnot, but otherwise it was a fairly useless endeavor.

3coloursbeige and Lance LaSalle like this.
  3. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

Do you mean including the documentary series and the book? If so, I disagree. It's been a great resource for new fans, and I think it was worth getting those interviews while The Beatles were still relatively young. It wasn't long before George passed away. Besides, I'm guessing anything released then would be re-released now anyway.

somnar and Detroit Rock Citizen like this.
  4. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Overrated stuff.....

5. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

I concede that the documentary film and the book have their moments... even though the film has more Neil Aspinal than John Lennon, and the surviving Beatles have notoriously wonky memories of events. The book I really enjoy... even though it, too, has numerous photo-errors and so on, but at least it's visually sumptuous.

I was referring more to the CD issues.

bewareofchairs likes this.
  6. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

They are wonky, but I think what they remembered and how they remembered it was very telling.

That's fair. Though there's a decent chance The Beatles would've still been too cage-y to release as much as they've released now.

7. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I want the AC/DC Wrigley Field Blu-ray myself.
    The Esher demos are okay, but no big deal to me.

8. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

The Esher boots (i.e. John Lennon's mono tape of George's Esher 4-track tapes) were apparently made by holding a microphone up to a speaker while the Beatles chatted in the background. It sounds okay for what it is, but it's hardly "very good". Someone even mentioned here that they can't tell much difference in the sound quality, which is a bit baffling honestly.

9. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Dr. Pepper, Zeki, linclink and 2 others like this.
  10. generational, I assume
    and for many meat and potatoes rock/pop fans
    acoustic may only mean folk (which they probably don't listen to), and maybe, country
    so for many coming out of the highly processed 80s, 'unplugged' was quite a novelty

linclink likes this.
  11. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I just need to breathe for a second. In the last few months we have gotten so many wonderful releases from Paul, John, and the Beatles! I honestly don't know which one I like the most. I feel like we have gotten two near masterpieces from Paul with his new Egypt Station and his reconstructed double album of RSS. The Esher White Album songs continue to be a revelation to me as well.

12. Dr. Pepper

13. Dr. Pepper

"Coat" is pronounced like caught not boat.

14. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Can I say Hendrix at Heathrow?

15. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Eh, what !!! is that meant to be funny.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  16. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Hardly new to me. I've had them on Bootleg for nearly 20 years. But it's nice to have the whole tape in excellent sound. Just reading through these it's amazing how many people on this forum will **** on anything.

17. No way. Bob Dylan's Bootleg Series Vols 1-3 are / were.

All Down The Line likes this.
  18. Dr. Pepper

Uh, no silly. Oh, and silly is not pronounced like dilly, but more like soily, or at least that's what Paul tells me, and that isn't silly at all... baby.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    Deek57 likes this.
  19. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

That and the complete Basement Tapes.

20. I would have said Basement Tapes had we not all had the bootleg for 30 years. As great as it is it isn't really an out of the blue release whereas I feel BS 1-3 was and is still a revelation.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  21. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Esher Demos?

Give me the original double version of Red Rose Speedway and the all the leftovers from the Ram sessions any day.

:cool:

boggs likes this.
  22. Dr. Pepper

Can't remember If I posted this on this thread, but here is my attempt to make it flow like a Beatles album with the lads alternating lead vocals like usual. I tried to give the ebb and flow of one of their albums while trying to spotlight all of the tracks that didn't make it onto the proper album.

The Beatles - Esher Almond Album, a playlist by Dr. Pepper on Spotify

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    DrBeatle likes this.
  23. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Esher Demos marketed as "The Beatles White Album UNPLUGGED" in 1998 for the 30th anniversary would have sold 2 million copies and been #1.

It could have been followed in 1999 with GET BACK (a better version of LIBN) with the songs stripped and more live sounding, again for the "unplugged" vibe of the times and in honor of the 50th anniversary of the sessions. Again, this would have sold a killing in '99.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    mooseman, ted321 and JoeF. like this.
  24. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Or in 1978 or 1988 with a different title.

For one reason or another, they didn't think of such things back then.

25. thehatandbeard

thehatandbeard Forum Resident

Not a gift, I had to pay for it! It’s good though.

All Down The Line and JoeF. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.