Are Klipsch speakers really that bright?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jerryb, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member Thread Starter

Are Klipsch speakers as bright as some people say they are or is there some exaggeration going on?

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

It depends on the model, the source, the amp, the positioning, etc. They can be excruciating.
    -Bill

cporcp, hi_watt, bhazen and 1 other person like this.
  3. RDK

RDK Active Member

What? There's never any exaggeration in the audio world! ;)

rocnred likes this.
  4. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

They're pretty revealing as well as super dynamic speakers. I wouldn't call most models bright (I think of bright as being exaggerated treble which definitely isn't the case) but they can be pretty harsh with poorly recorded/mixed/mastered material. In comparison my PMC speakers sound better with poor sounding material at the expense of being less dynamic. The PMC speakers are also less efficient and can sound sort of distorted when doing A/B comparisons, especially at high volume.

5. phish

phish Jack Your Body

i loved my klipsch. i wish i had not sold them.

The Pinhead likes this.
  6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

This perfectly describes my '86 Heresy II's, which DID sound overly bright until I had a cap job performed on the crossovers.

BrentB and CatManDude like this.
  7. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

What would you guys say to bi-amping? A high-powered solid state amp to drive the woofers, and a lower powered Class-A solid state or tube amp on the horns.

8. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

I had some KG5.2s back in the 80s early 90s, to me they were very bright, matched up with a Yamaha receiver, Panasonic DVD player. Not so bright with the HK 700 series though.

9. winged creature

winged creature Forum Resident

Ive always found klipsch bright, mind you i havent heard all their models and they were powered with solid state equipment.

10. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Years ago, my uncle had a pair of Klipschorns set up in a very large room with high ceilings. They were very loud and very detailed. Not necessarily too bright.

11. pharmboycu

pharmboycu Forum Resident

I ran into this same issue a while back. I was given a pair of Heresy speakers. They are very articulate, not necessarily bright, but lacking in bass. Steve's advice to me was to find some of the old Tom Dowd style mastering (Eagles, Allmans, Layla, etc.) and that it *might* make these recordings sound a bit better. I found this to be very true. I also found that after a year in storage they seemed to be a little "stiff." They've warmed up a touch over time.

12. Patrick

Patrick Senior Member

The words un-necessary and overkill come to my mind.
    These speakers are super efficient to begin with, in my opinion many users would be better off with LESS amplification driving them.
    Have heard Klipsch' sound wonderful (and LOUD) on tiny 3 watt tube amps, and horrible on high powered transisitor recievers.

BrentB likes this.
  13. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

I had a pair of KG 5.5s for many years and did not consider them especially bright, until I went auditioning new speakers. Then I realized that they were. Still, I definitely enjoyed them. Very detailed, very efficient, sounded very nice with my tube amp.

14. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

That's true but balancing the HF with the LF is what he was refering to. In that regard, it works if the amps are carefully chosen as he suggests. I also think it's overkill though and would rather find a lower powered amp suitable for all frequencies. The flea powered tube amps that I have heard are not that great either. The best match that I have found with a big Klipsch heritage style speaker was with the Rega Brio. Other moderately powered solid state amps with a warm top end should also work well.
    -Bill

15. IanL

IanL Senior Member

They are too bright for me. Some people must like that sound though. Otherwise, how could Klipsch stay in business?

16. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

They play super loud for one reason. Some people find that irresistible. Many of the models have very high bass output as well, so it isn't just the top end that's loud. With most of their designs, I get the feeling that I am being force fed music though and it doesn't come across as being natural sounding. It's not just the poor recordings either. Everything sounds harsh on a big horn. It's about as comfy as when the guy at the drive through window has his mic maxed out and blasts your tie through the passenger window...
    -Bill

irender, chodad and SandAndGlass like this.
  17. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

I have Klipsch RF10 towers with RB10's, Klipsch center and sub, playing through a Yamama HTR 6260 and Sony S560 Blu-Ray.
    I love the sound I am getting on most cd's.Some Mofi SACD's discs play very fuzzy.
    Wonder if going through an OPPO 83 would change this

18. bmplockmonster

bmplockmonster New Member

I love the dynamic's that kt88 talks about the klipsch having.I still own the RF-63's,one of their upper reference model's,and love them.Although I have them boxed up in the attic as I am now using Triad minimonitor golds.The triad have a much better sound stage and just get things right but when it comes to rock'n out nothing beat the klipsch speakers run off of a Mac MC275.Loud volume got addictive with the klipsch were as the I listen at lower volume and enjoying it just as much in different ways,sort of comparing a cadillac to a camaro.

19. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

:biglaugh:

I remember a stereo show I was at many years ago, Just loud noise all the way down the aisle with vendor competing with vendor. Worse place in the world to listen to a stereo.

Then the Klipsch guys at the end of the hallway cranked their speakers and absolutely drown everyone out. You could not hear any other stereo!

:bigeek:

I was very unimpressed for many years. Then I heard someone's K-Horns with a tube amp and was very impressed. Lacking a bit in midrange but the resolution was very impressive.

Anyway, that's my Klipsch story for what it's worth. :)

nick99nack and CatManDude like this.
  20. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

You should hear some of the old Altecs. All that big, horn loaded Altec and Klipsch stuff was really designed to be PA speakers for theaters. You need to sit back about 50' from them or it's about as pleasant as dental surgery. And yes, they can rawk!

I'm with you though. I'd rather get the other things right first. Volume and dynamics is not something that I look to use daily. Thusly I can still hear some faint sounds above the frequency of a snare drum... :winkgrin:
    -Bill

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  21. bradleyc

bradleyc Forum Resident

The Klipsch speakers I own sound very neutral and revealing to me, especially my La Scala II's with McIntosh SS gear and JL Audio sub :love:

The Pinhead and drobo like this.
  22. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Depends.

If we're talking the "heritage" models, one might want to make sure acoustics & amplification etc are favorable to avoid running into nasty steeliness, hardness and general unpleasantness. They're very "live."

The woofers are also very efficient though. My hunch would be to concentrate on crossover and character of amplification if tweaking is needed.

23. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Horns will always sound like horns.

Personally, Ive owned horn speakers and I cannot stand them. everything sounds like the singers are singing thru a ships megaphone.

Ever hear a not so great transistor amp played thru a horn speaker?

EECCHHH.

24. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

PS Jerry, yes there is some exaggeration going on...

25. DOUBTINGTHOMAS29

DOUBTINGTHOMAS29 Forum Resident

I've only heard a few models, but whether they are detailed or bright it doesn't matter. They hurt my ears.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.