Are Modern Comics Too Expensive?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Tim Crowley, Nov 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Crowley

Tim Crowley Forum Resident Thread Starter

Standard issues; MSN.com.

2. Frangelico

Frangelico Forum Resident

Well that’s not a source and standard issues are still $3.99. Also, DC didn’t create the comic book format, although they popularized it. There’s lots of bad information out there in the media, internet, academia and even history books. Sift through it and filter it out.

shaboo likes this.
  3. Tim Crowley

Tim Crowley Forum Resident Thread Starter

I stand by my statement; where's your proof?

4. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Modern comics cost 10 cents. Contemporary comics cost much more.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  5. Frangelico

Frangelico Forum Resident

Um pricing for standard December issues from the official DC website. There’s something called research - try it sometime. $7.99 (too high IMHO) is for so-called deluxe issues. Deluxe/oversized and limited issues are generally more expensive than regular issues.

Bryan Harris and shaboo like this.
  6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

To be exact, I wait until I can afford a trade paperback.

Sadly, the fairness in compensation for the proper comic book production team, plus the invigorated respect for the product itself, have justified a rate at which...I can no longer justify buying a stack every couple of weeks. :cry:

And I still have to come back to boxes of boat anchors at home, preserving what collection I have amassed over the years, which I told myself would bring me true value some day. :shake:

7. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Do kids even buy comics anymore? I ended my comic buying in the beginning of 2009 after a 45 year habit and can safely say for the last 10-20 years of that habit, I never saw anyone under say, 20 years old in any comic shop. Pretty much all guys and most over 30.

8. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Both are in a death spiral. Shops are closing left and right and the corporate parents of both DC and Marvel only want the intellectual properties so they can mine them for much more lucrative films. I've heard from online sources that Manga is outselling traditional US comics, currently.

9. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The silly part is the actual cost of all those writers and artists creating original comics it's not even a rounding error for the production cost at one of the Marvel or DC movies. It makes sense to keep making comics just as a source of scripts! They could lose a dollar on each comic printed and still come out ahead.

seed_drill likes this.
  10. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Its an old rumour/fact; comicbooks have been losing money for many years. Its just like Chris said, the doors are kept open to a) mine ideas and b) to retain the rights to the characters. If the ONLY money coming in was comicbook money, Marvel & DC would both have to close their doors!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

It's a money-losing business, but it's cheap compared to a room full of Hollywood writers.

12. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

this is in no way correct --please delete the thread

shaboo likes this.
  13. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Considering some of the crap DC is peddling as “good storytelling” I can see 7.99 being the steel beam that broke the camels back

14. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Closed for lack of truthiness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.