Are psych/prog RECORDS losing value?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Last Turkey In The Shop, Mar 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. I guess it comes down to what one identifies as psych. This has been a problem since the initial psych collector frenzy of the late 70s into the 80s which kicked up Kak, U.S. of A, all the classic UK singles (Wimple Wench, Accent, etc.,) then all the great 90s reissues on Acme, Wooden Hill/10th Planet, Shadoks, etc.,) Concurrently a lot of stuff from the same era but not psych got "hyped up"; "heavy psych" is another term that tends to get overused, luring the unknowing looking for Hendrixian pyrotechnics which just aren't there.

What psych is your friend selling?

2. Roy Crossland

Roy Crossland Forum Resident

So far:
    Ruby Jones
    Ramases
    Skin Alley
    The Tiffany
    Titus Groan
    Pluph
    Quill
    Research 1-6-12
    Rotary Connection
    Ram Where?
    Supersister
    The Savage Resurrection
    The Smoke
    Sir Lord Baltimore
    Shadows Of Knight

and many more! He is selling more than 100 records. I know not all of those are psych. There are hard rock and prog rock too! As you can see the titles begins with p, q, r, s and t. He just grabbed a bunch from the same shelf.

Grootna and zphage like this.
  3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The thing is, albums that fetched $20 - $25 (a decade or so ago) and now get $35 - $40, are not really going up in value much if at all. With inflation, so many things seem high but are not. Vinyl is not a great investment except for those certain things.

I think it's just nice to be able to get your money out of old records that you kept in great condition. I saved a bunch of still sealed things (lower end) that I paid $1.00 for 25 years (or more) ago. I am getting $20 - $30 each on average. But that is a lot of years to be sitting on records. And I can't live on that record income. Or I could live on it if I wanted to live very poorly.

chazz101s likes this.
  4. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Sadly the way things are going people may happily trade those expensive records for a can of pork n beans.
    So stock some beans :)

5. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Empty divider cards abound by 70's 80's 90's. I saw some high scho0l girls fighting who gets the $12 VG+ Abba albums at one store. Drying up big time in the pop rock areas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.