Are Some Speakers Better for Analog Than Others?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LEEWAY, Jan 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LEEWAY

LEEWAY New Member Thread Starter

OK, maybe a goofy question, but are some speakers better for analogue than others? If so, which? One of things that got me to wondering about this is I was at an audio dealer listening to some Vandersteen 2CEs. First I was listening to some Blue Note RVG/Connoisseur CDs. The dealer was using a Rega amp and CD unit. Sounded OK, nothing to complain about but nothing too exciting either (to my ears anyway). Then I put some LPs on a Rega P3, and the Vandy's just totally came alive. A really remarkable difference. I'm a vinyl addict, so this didn't surprise me too much. But it got me to wondering if, all things being equal (i.e., same pre/amp, wiring, etc) some speakers just do a better job with analog than others. Are some speaker manufacturers tweaking or gearing their speakers towards digital reproduction, thereby degrading their analog capability? Conversely, are there some speakers out there that optimise analog? Would like to get some views on this.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Some of those Blue Note RVG/Connoisseur CD's sound ungodly bright to me; with the natural body of the music removed (by choice I guess).

I think a good speaker will reproduce the actual sound of a disc correctly, whether it is good or bad. If a speaker makes everything sound good, something ain't right....

3. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I agree Steve. I feel Mr. Rudy went a little nuts with the top end too.

4. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Yeah some of those RVGs have a pretty nasty highend, Iwas in a record store yesterday,and they were playing a Horace Silver title that just came out on the RVG series(I have a Japenese version of it) and boy i don't remember it sounding that bright!

5. LEEWAY

LEEWAY New Member Thread Starter

Analog Speakers

Points well-taken (although I'm sure RVG fans might argue otherwise). But what say you to my fundamental question: are some speakers by design , better at analog than others?

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.