Are Speakers Corner LPs Worth The Money?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Spotmaticfanatic, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

No, I'd had so many problems with faulty pressings in a bunch that I felt snake bit and just stopped ordering for awhile. Another one was the Impex stereo 33.3 of Legrand Jazz had a scratchy noise maker mark. I loved both those titles but never went back in for The Clown. Recently I found a nice OG 6-eye of Legrand Jazz so I feel OK with it and probably won't pursue another Impex.

Good news is the last 2 new LP's I received were perfect, both Blue Note Tone Poets,Kenny Burrell and Wayne Shorter ETC.

How about you? Did you get a replacement on The Clown?

scotti likes this.
  2. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I am really happy with the last several SC titles I got, mastered by Kevin Gray, they sound great. Only issue I had was with the Roach/Hasaan title that has a bad piano that was used in the recording, but other than the issue with the piano, the record sounds really good otherwise. Just not an album I would want to listen to in my sweet spot though.

I had issues with the Impex "Legrand Jazz" 33 as well. So I called and spoke to the return guy, believe his name is Evan and asked if they would open up the replacement and make sure there was no issues with it before they sent it. They were very kind to do so for me and everything turned out fine...glad your recent Tone Poets were good.

Fender Relic likes this.
  3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

There must be problems with the recent batch of Legrand Jazz. My copy doesn't have the issues others have reported, but I bought it some time ago, probably at least a year ago if not before.

4. I just listened to a couple of George Benson reissues on Speakers Corner. They sound fabulous and I only wish labels like Mofi would wise up and start making authentic reproduction labels like these guys.

Fender Relic and scotti like this.
  5. Sam

Sam Senior Member

ToniFromMars and hi_watt like this.
  6. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I had a scratch on my Impex Legrand Jazz 33. It was weird because it was with the groove, not across like most scratches. It only popped 4 or so times but it was annoying. I almost kept it but I think Evan was also the guy I talked to about a replacement but I had received so many problem LP's in a row that I felt snake bit so I just took a refund on that one but I miss it, sounded real good.

scotti likes this.
  7. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

Got Mingus at Antibes from Speakers Corner and the sound is phenomenal. Mastered by Dennis King? Never heard of him. It’s a live album that sounds better than many studio recordings and also according to many is one of the best live jazz albums in existence. I’ve been listening to it non-stop for a couple weeks now.

I have a number of other SC Mingus titles. The only audiophile option for some of them. Have not been disappointed.

8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Just posting about him in another thread about my pink label Allman Brothers Band At Fillmore East.

Dennis King

hi_watt and Pushpaw like this.
  9. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

My Clown copy sounds like rice crispy sad well. I’m going to write SC directly.

10. Spotmaticfanatic

Spotmaticfanatic Lost my shape, trying to act casual. Thread Starter

Any thoughts on their pressings of Pithencanthropus Erectus or The Clown? I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on those, but they are pretty expensive here in Canada.

11. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

I’m also in Canada. Try The Diamond Groove. I find they have decent prices

I have SC The Clown and it’s fantastic. Just ordered the SC PE and am expecting it to arrive in the next week. I’ll let you know how it is.

Spotmaticfanatic likes this.
  12. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I wish SC could renew the rights to re release their versions of Moody Blues DOFP and Steely Dan cant buy a thrill

13. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

So what's the best way to buy these in the US? A lot of their titles are out of stock at places like ElusiveDisc.

14. haomingy

haomingy Forum Resident

I am curious too. I'd like the Forest Flower by Charles Lloyd which is still in print in Europe but long back ordered in the US.

15. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

They have this in stock at Acoustic Sounds:

Charles Lloyd-Forest Flower-180 Gram Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds

I had this in my wish list as well. They just got it back in stock it seems so I ordered one the other day.

16. haomingy

haomingy Forum Resident

Ariel Aditya and neubian like this.
  17. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

Still, many of the titles I want are not available there... Any other ideas?

18. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Discogs.

GentleSenator likes this.
  19. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i honestly don't have much trouble finding the recent releases on amazon.com or via other retailers like deep discount, importcds, etc.

even independent stores have some, like: plaid room records, silver platters, zia records, bullmoose

older stuff? best do as @Strat-Mangler says and shop on discogs.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  20. Myke

21. warpig

warpig Senior Member

Somesurferdude and Rykodrix like this.
  22. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

23. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

Speakers Corner is one of the labels that he includes in the list of labels that disclose their source/mastering chain. So one of the good labels.

24. Myke

This thread being active again had me pull out 3 of my 8, and when I saw on Discogs that Can't Buy A Thrill is now 20 years old, and that a copy sold for $400.00 ??? I just had to make it my avatar for a while.
    My copy is still in M- condition and is dead quiet, and sounds great !!!

25. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

when i read the first 2/3 of your first sentence i thought "i need to seek that one out". then i saw the last part.