Are Stadium Shows quickly becoming a thing of the past?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eric Weinraub, Feb 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident Thread Starter

Most of the big name bands of the past 50 years I've seen in a stadium

• Pink Floyd
    • Bruce Springsteen
    • Rolling Stones
    • The Who
    • Bowie
    • Grateful Dead
    • etc

curious if other have noticed that there are almost no new acts who have drawing power to play at a stadium? And along those lines, is concert promotion at a Live Nation scale a sustainable business over the next 20 years?

broshfab4 and enro99 like this.
  2. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Stones still do. Maybe Macca too. Probably all I can think of.

3. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

I think Metallica recently did a stadium tour. They're not really a "new act" though.

CrombyMouse and Crimson jon like this.
  4. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Yeah, Stones, but also Taylor Swift and Justin Timberlake and a few years back One Direction.

5. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Ed Sheeran, Beyonce, Taylor Swift, and Coldplay have all played the local football stadium in the past few years.

6. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

There are several more recent artists/acts that could and do still pull it off, including some of the ones mentioned above... Pearl Jam, Beyonce/Jay-Z, Bruno Mars, and a several country acts come to mind.

TonyCzar likes this.
  7. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

It's in reduction mode, for sure. All of the remaining acts left, who could still receive bookings, have already been listed.

arthurprecarious likes this.
  8. Bocajoe

Bocajoe Forum Resident

No, but I think they're transitioning from rock shows to either pop shows or bro-country shows. There will always be acts to play and promoters willing to throw sick money at those acts, but the acts that fill stadiums nowadays are Taylor Swift and Kenny Chesney and the biggest names in their genres. This Summer we will see Billy Joel, The Who, and The Stones playing baseball and football stadiums, but when you look a few years down the road, it points to the pop genre, the classic rockers are riding off into the sunset.

NaturalD likes this.
  9. Django

Django Forum Resident

They are for me. I don't like big gigs.

RickH, starduster, Larsen and 18 others like this.
  10. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Dead & Company...........though usually baseball stadiums instead of footfall stadiums.

Jimbo912 and bpmd1962 like this.
  11. crazy eights

crazy eights Truckstop Lovechild

same for me, i've missed some favorite artists i would have seen otherwise, i'm so much more about the SQ than the spectacle

TSWisla, Atmospheric and Django like this.
  12. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

For me they are. I no longer enjoy hearing music in a stadium setting.

13. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

There are many artists still playing to stadium-sized audiences:

Taylor Swift just completed the most lucrative tour of the decade (perhaps of all-time)
    Jay-Z/Beyonce
    Pearl Jam
    just played baseball stadiums
    Ed Sheeran plays stadiums with just a single guitar, it's remarkable - no band at all
    Dead & Company just played Dodger Stadium last summer
    Foo Fighters, though seemingly happy to play arenas, could do a successful stadium tour
    BTS - if promoted properly, could surely fill stadiums in certain cities
    Metallica could do it
    Billy Joel played Dodger Stadium the year before last
    Coldplay recently played the Rose Bowl
    Phish, if marketed correctly could fill a stadium in certain markets
    Guns and Roses played Dodger Stadium 18 months ago
    Roger Waters, when he gets the notion, can fill stadiums
    U2 filled stadiums for their recent Joshua Tree tour

and with McCartney and The Rolling Stones playing the summer, I begin to think your premise entirely incorrect; perhaps more artists than ever can fill a stadium.

Then they're are artists who have been quiet, but may be roaring back to life this year: AC/DC, Green Day and Madonna all of whom could fill a stadium (though Madonna has always shown a preference for playing indoors.)

And finally, the last decade, artists have preferred playing festivals - perhaps an easier and more lucrative payday (they are certainly not paying for promotion.) Oftentimes the main stage of a festival accommodates as many fans as a stadium.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    LivingForever, ispace and Daryl M like this.
  14. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I hope so. No one should have to see a concert in a stadium. (Especially a baseball stadium, those are even more awkward)

I like arena shows...I get that a lot of the artists I love... U2, Springsteen, Phish, etc, aren't going to be playing tiny clubs or theaters near me, and if they did, there's almost no way I'd be able to get tickets (or the tickets would be more than my mortgage payment). You can still get a good experience in an arena if the performers are good and know how to play to the whole crowd instead of just the first few rows. Plus there's something you get with big sound and production and the energy of 15,000 people that you don't get in a small gig, and that has its merits too.

But a stadium show...arena prices but 2-3x farther away from the stage? So you're paying $200 to watch a big TV? No thanks. That can't die fast enough.

Pinknik, The MEZ, DrBeatle and 12 others like this.
  15. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

I also saw Bowie on the Sound + Vision tour of 1990. However, that seems like the only time he played a stadium, it was a special farewell-to-the-hits arrangement. For the rest of his life he played much smaller venues, in fact on his last tour I saw him at The Shrine which isn't even an arena, just an auditorium.

As long as Live Nation signs 360 deals and gets a piece of merch, I'd have to imagine that their model is lucrative. Seems like social media, if anything, has made promoting a concert cheaper.

16. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

They pretty much instantly sold out three consecutive nights at Dick's Sporting Goods Park, a soccer-specific "stadium" in Colorado. I put stadium in quotes because the capacity isn't on the order of what I think the OP intended (27k according to Wikipedia).

Could they sell out Mile High (capacity ~60k according to Wikipedia)? Maybe...as you said if it were marketed correctly they might. It would have to be a special event, though, and not just another stop on their tour. If there's anywhere Phish could have a shot at selling out a stadium, Colorado is probably one of their better bets.

Elliottmarx likes this.
  17. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

His '83 and '87 tours were mixed bags and market-dependent. In the US, '83 leaned towards arenas and '87 towards stadiums.

Just read in Chris O'Leary's new book that his '87 tour cost $20mil. up front for staging and carried a payroll of $1mil/week. Can't cover that playing arenas, I think.

18. Bocajoe

Bocajoe Forum Resident

Forgive me if I drift off topic, but there are certain bands that just get swallowed up in massive stadiums. I saw Billy Joel a few years ago and although HE was amazing, the stadium really swallowed up his music. It was just too damn big. Few bands can get (or have gotten) the stadium spectacle right - I think U2 has had it down since 92, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Queen, The Stones, all know how to present the all out assault on your senses that a stadium show needs. The Grateful Dead played some amazing stadium shows when they were active, but their light show on stage often got swallowed up (and Garcia hated playing stadium shows.) The Who provided the volume necessary to rock a stadium in the 70s, but Townshend would have preferred to not have played them. It's not easy, you need the sound, the lights, the stage and damn powerful music to do it right.

The MEZ likes this.
  19. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

could reverse. the chargers are now playing in a high school soccer facility (and not filling it). let the downsizing begin.

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Stadium tours were never as common as this thread implies. They've always been limited, as there's never been that many acts who can do full stadium tours.

Even some of the artists you list had limitations in that regard. The Stones could do stadium tours 40 years ago and still can, but Bruce could only really do stadiums across the US in 1985. He's done limited stadium tours since then - with 2003 being the widest - but now he only plays stadiums in a handful of markets loyal to him.

Bowie did a decent # of stadiums in 1987 but not a wide tour of those venues.

The Who only had one true stadium tour: 1989.

Could the Dead play stadiums US-wide? Don't know their history well enough to say.

The Floyd were able to do wide stadium tours - and still could if they reunited.

There are a few acts you left off, but those events covered a wide span of years.

Stadiums were never the norm for any acts beyond a couple of biggies...

21. Bocajoe

Bocajoe Forum Resident

That speaks to the decline in popularity of the NFL, with is off topic, but also something that I find fascinating.

TonyCzar likes this.
  22. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Taylor Swift
    Ed Sheeran

23. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

His '90 S+V tour wasn't better. I saw him at the AccorHotels Arena in Paris, it was the worst concert i ever saw. 90 minutes and don't remember there was an encore.
    But that's another story.

24. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Last fall, Garth Brooks played Notre Dame Stadium, the first musical act not associated with a marching band to perform a full-length concert there.

LilacTeardrop and No Static like this.
  25. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Phish has played Wrigley and Fenway, so it's possible in the biggest markets. I can't imagine a baseball stadium show being much fun from the seats, but it seems to be happening more and more.

I dunno if 3 nights at Dick's = 1 night at Mile High, seeing as how many people go to multiple nights.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.