Are The Beatles Mono Albums Going OOP?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Partyslammer, Jun 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slowdazzle

Slowdazzle Well-Known Member

No worries. I figured as much!

2. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

I don't know where you are in Europe but I wouldn't pay that amount. I have two mono sets bought over the last year and I paid 350 euro for each. You have to look regularly and get lucky but it is possible.

3. jewelsnbinoculars

jewelsnbinoculars Forum Resident

is the general thinking that this will not happen?

4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I don't think many care! I hope they do get repressed and even stay in print for a long time. I have the box and it's so good I think this is how The Beatles, especially up to and including Pepper's and the Mono Masters set, should be experienced. The stereo albums can coexist with them. The choice was there when they were originally released, so why not now?

Somerset Scholar and McLover like this.
  5. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

If all you care about are the LPs, not the box, just keep your eyes pealed here at SHF. I'm close to complete, paid reasonable price for each one.

Man at C&A likes this.
  6. I think that 700 euros is a little steep, but you may to pull the trigger on it. It's truly excellent, and are you really going to wait until that original UK pressing comes along for Hard Day's Night.....I didn't think so. I was super lucky to acquire mine. I was late on the bandwagon...very late...and I scored one for around $325 (250 euros). Keep in mind that only the triple-set of singles is sealed. The rest of the pieces are unsealed, which is cool because that means it's for the real fans.

7. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

I remember reading on this forum that if albums come in thick plastic envelope type sleeves it's better
    to remove them as these sleeves can or might lead to damage of the LP. I was wondering about the thin
    plastic sleeves that each individual LP was enclosed in this mono set. Should they be removed ? Have
    you removed them ?

8. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

No they should be fine. It is just the heavier PVC that some have seen problems with.

marklamb and timnor like this.
  9. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

black sheriff and OptimisticGoat like this.
  10. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

It would be interesting to know how the user KMFDM23 on discogs managed to get hundreds (or thousands) of these mono box sets - he sure seems to have a lot of them. There is no way he is some kind of a mom and pop store owner, must be a wholesale company person who just thought that it would be better to keep these to themselves rather than send to different stores to sell. Its quite possible that the whole Eastern Europe region store should of have gotten these box sets from that source.

DBMartin and OptimisticGoat like this.
  11. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

I actually got my box set from him (and I think his name is Leonid). He's a nice guy with quick and good communication on Discogs, and his seller ratings are deservetely high. I was sceptical about buying from a Russian seller at first, but his ratings and nice communication won me over, and I couldn't be happier about this purchase.

timnor and marklamb like this.
  12. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

Forum is the best place. I purchased mine here for a reasonable price.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  13. minglewood

minglewood Life is A Carnival

Maybe still OOP to keep the mono nostalga/want alive and help keep secondary resell market prices high and out of reach to keep the magical aura around this 2014 release? On a side note, the whole top cardboard fold over flap on my Revolver has come unglued, as has the flap corners on my Rubber Soul. Anyone else have this problem?

14. Dougthesnail

Huh? It took a long time to go OOP, and I'm sure if you looked in enough record stores you'd still find copies. They'll go back in print, but not until the demand resurfaces.

15. awsop

awsop Forum Resident

Beatles For Sale: half of the top flap is unglued
    White Album: half of the left flap is unglued
    I'm afraid to make thing worse if I try to fix it.

black sheriff and Man at C&A like this.
  16. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

That's what I did. My old Beatles LPs, EPs & Singles sit snuggly in my 2012 stereo black box. :righton:

Like mentioned above, they pop up on Ebay & other places occasionally, good luck.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  17. Efus

Efus Senior Member

If your not confident handling a glue stick, ask a small child to help.
    They should be able to get it done for you.

monte4, Mazzy and Dougthesnail like this.
  18. awsop

awsop Forum Resident

Only half of the flap is unglued.
    There's only very little space between this half and the cover. There's no room for a glue stick.
    But I can inject some glue between flap and cover. And next put some heavy weight on the flap.

ArpMoog and Efus like this.
  19. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Im sure he is a nice guy and with PayPal protection buyer is always right but how the hell does he have hundreds of copies of this box set? Im asking half tongue in cheek of course :)

CBackley likes this.
  20. Efus

Efus Senior Member

There you go.
    Some light glue, (maybe take a popsicle stick and smear it in the open gap) and a book on top for a couple hours should do the trick.
    Take it easy on the amount of glue, and you should be alright.

ArpMoog and awsop like this.
  21. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I use pritt stick for flaps. Then rest the cover under some books.
    It is mess free and works well.

22. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

I'm not sure if he's had hundreds over the years, but he's consistently had them in stock on his Discogs page, so he must have had dozens... Not so strange once you realise just how great and special this box set is, and how many smart collectors and sellers must have jumped on them for a future profit.

23. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

This is what I use for repairs, Elmer’s Craft Bond. Acid free. The pen in the middle is very good for hard to reach places and also for applying small amounts of glue. $7.84 on Amazon with Prime. That’s enough glue for a lot of repairs. [​IMG]

awsop likes this.
  24. Dougthesnail

I don't think the demand for audiophile vinyl is as big in Russia as it is in North America. Hence him being able to snap up more copies over the years.

25. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

Probably true, but I'm glad he's steadily been selling all these copies (and even with decent shipping rates all the way from Russia to Western-EU countries), because I ended up paying about two-thirds of what most EU sellers on Discogs were asking. Without his Beatles In Mono stock, I would probably never have bought this amazing box set as secondary market prices were getting out of hand quickly...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.