Are The Beatles Mono Albums Going OOP?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Partyslammer, Jun 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikizee

mikizee Forum Resident

I was way out of the loop when they got released and cottoned on to them just as they were getting scarce. Ended up buying them all separately, the only one I paid a lot of money for (and had to get second hand) was Pepper. Strangely, Rubber Soul and Revolver’s records were pretty badly scuffed even though I bought them sealed. Sound fine though.

DBMartin likes this.
  2. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

I bought a copy of Beatles For Sale brand new a year or two ago and it was scuffed. Was a little noisy in places but not unlistenable.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  3. imthetxman

imthetxman HardMediaMan

Sure hope they're not going out of print. Still don't have any. Was thinking about "Mono Masters" but kind of waiting to see if a more comprehensive set comes back.

4. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Was easily able to buy the 4 I wanted when they were first released - I'm good with just these and don't need more.
    (Rubber, Revolver, White, Masters)

imthetxman likes this.
  5. teag

teag Forum Resident

Great. Glad for you. Doesn’t mean there are not Russian counterfeit LPs out there also.

6. lahtbp

lahtbp Forum Resident

I would grab Mono Masters while it’s still available. Along with Sgt. Pepper it’s the highlight of the set IMO.

7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I thought it was a given that they were OOP ?

marklamb likes this.
  8. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

They are definitely out of print, but the Queen studio albums box shows that it’s possible to keep manufacturing the same thing over and over every time it goes out of print (I think they are on the third pressing Over the last five years or so). So, I wouldn’t give up hope.

Talmi K likes this.
  9. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

They are most certainly out of print (not being pressed anymore) and I'd venture to guess that none have been pressed since the initial run in 2014. At this point, even the last 4 titles that were easy to find are pretty much gone too. I managed to buy over the past 6 months Rubber Soul, Revolver, White Album, and Mono Masters, all for retail prices. I actually got Revolver on sale so it was only $17 from a local record store. Rubber Soul I think I paid $25 +$5 shipping, White Album was $49 shipped IIRC, and Mono Masters I got 2 months ago from the Target website for $55. If I saw any of these for retail pricing I'd buy them for sure simply because yes, they are out of print and worth significantly more than they retailed for. Those 4 had been the only titles from the series widely available since probably 2018. I saw one copy of AHDN and one copy of WTB around that time, they were both sold when I went looking for these in December 2018 for the first time. Forget about finding Pepper or any of the earlier, pre Help albums now though. People know these are valuable now, so any local stores that have more than one visitor in the last 6 years would have been out of stock for a while on these.

marklamb likes this.
  10. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I'm just saying there are some legitimate
    Russian sellers on Discogs.

I want to see a fake Russian mono LP that is trying to pass itself off as a 2014 mono.
    There should be tons of them out there,
    right? If there was a Russian plant pressing monos eBay should be flooded with them by now.

formu_la, Bobsblkwax, Onder and 2 others like this.
  11. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Are you suggesting there are Russian counterfeit copies of The Beatles 2014 mono LPs ? Why would they be manufactured in Russia ? Do you have any examples ? I've never heard of any. As was mentioned above I really think it would be extremely difficult to reproduce the high quality of the mono LP pressings.

So this thread moves on from making false claims about a reliable Russian Discogs seller to suggesting that counterfeit mono Beatles LPs that nobody has seen "might" be being manufactured in Russia.

Personally I think the Discogs seller is Paul McCartney working through a Russian sidekick to earn an extra buck by shifting his hoarded mono boxes.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  12. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I bought a NM Parlophone mono Pepper that was a first pressing a few years ago that was less than I what I'm seeing the 2014 Pepper mono going for now on Ebay. Amazing how much these 2014 mono albums are going for. I forgot what I paid for the vinyl box new when it was released, around 350 or so.

ODShowtime, astro70 and timnor like this.
  13. imthetxman

imthetxman HardMediaMan

So that means he's "Back in the U.S.S.R." ??? Sorry.... couldn't resist.

14. ggg71

ggg71 Forum Resident

While I find it hard to believe there are vinyl counterfeits ... I have it on good authority that Long Road out of Eden by the Eagles was never officially released by the band on LP. A few years ago it showed up on Amazon, and I bought it. At the time I thought it was legit. It is a beautiful 180gram 2 album pressing. Gorgeous packaging, record labels, everything. So all I'm saying is anything is possible.

I'm very lucky with the Beatles Mono albums. I bought a couple in late 2017, and saw this thread when it first started, and was able to buy all the remaining albums at standard retail pricing. Should have bought 3 or 4 Peppers!

15. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

I have given up looking for the 2014 monos at this point and have started looking for the 1981 reissues using the original stampers, or even just original Parlophones. You pay about the same price if you're okay with a VG+ instead of NM record and since these are monos, I fold them anyway so a bit of surface noise isn't an issue. Most of the 2014 monos I've seen were VG+ out of the shrink anyway because of scuffing. I'd personally rather own an original pressing than a reissue if they're the same price and are in pretty much the same condition.

ODShowtime likes this.
  16. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

All my 2014 monos including back up copies are without scuffing. They are excellent pressings.

CBackley likes this.
  17. teag

teag Forum Resident

Yes. There are Russian sold counterfeits of these LPs. Paul is not involved as far as anyone knows, however.

18. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

There are lots of Russian counterfeits of Beatles music out there. Often passed off as Japanese versions.
    I think most of The Beatles in Mono CD box sets that were fake came from China, though.

19. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

They've all shot up in value. I've purchased duplicates of Revolver and Rubber Soul at retail and sold them for near $100.

20. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Eagles - Long Road Out Of Eden

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  21. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

i completely agree with this.

lahtbp likes this.
  22. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

I snagged one off Walmart.com late last year thanks to a helpful person on the forum to replace the used one I had that was lightly scuffed. Sure enough that one was slightly scuffed too. Nothing major but interesting to hear this. I have all the others and no issues at all. Must be something with BFS.

23. Zoo Station

Zoo Station Senior Member

Wait, there are known counterfeits (Russian sold, or otherwise) of the 2014 mono LPs? Is this a fact?
    I was not aware

24. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident

Don't think so, just a forum discussion.

DBMartin likes this.
  25. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

No, there are not.

- Kevin

DBMartin and Talmi K like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.