Are The Kinks Underrated By The General Public?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bvb1123, Jun 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cameron.39

Cameron.39 Forum Resident

Definitely not. Their greatest hits compilations are forever creeping back into the supermarket CD charts in the UK. They're granted lavish boxsets, extensive remaster series, vinyl reissues, merchandise...

The real underrated British 1960s group is the Hollies. They've maintained a fairly anonymous image yet are still touring (albeit with only two original members) and sell out surprisingly large concert venues all over the world. But they haven't had a remastered/expanded album since just three stand-alone releases in 2007. Their catalogue was last re-issued on CD in 1999 and vinyl way back in 1990. But they've had far more hits than the Kinks.

2. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Well, there are three in the Rolling Stone Top 500 of all time list, if that's a somewhat valid yardstick. And "generally acknowledged" and "publicly known" are pretty random indicators, but I take your point. I hadn't chimed in "yes" they are underrated because of course they are. I (A good friend of mine in high school didn't like them because they were "gay" if you can believe that. In college people would hear stuff like Situation Vacant and Australia, to take two random examples I remember, and say "Who's that? This is awesome." )

Chemguy and bvb1123 like this.
  3. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I don’t disagree, and I question general tastes, as well.

Be that as it may, I don’t think they put together an acknowledged classic. And maybe it could be said that they had bad timing with some of their releases, too.

bvb1123 likes this.
  4. Buddybud

Buddybud Paisley DayGlo Freak!

When in high school in the eighties everyone new the current hit "come dancing", the old hits "lola" and "you really got me". Beyond that there where only a few of us who had any albums or knowledge of their vast catalogue. During this period i sported a white rocker tshirt with black sleaves.
    Usually those were reseved for zep, sabbath, maiden or such! But being a dork i had me a Kinks one. Something like this!
    [​IMG]
    To me they were, and still are under rated!

5. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

If Village Green is not a classic album then no album is.

6. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

What do critics and the public know? Van Gogh sold one painting during his lifetime

CheshireCat and bvb1123 like this.
  7. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian Thread Starter

To his brother, even.

CheshireCat and AFOS like this.
  8. Frankp

Frankp Active Member

That is exactly the case. They had a run of albums from Something Else through Everybody's in Show Biz that compares to ANYBODY, but most people don't know them

9. Frankp

Frankp Active Member

Exactly. They had a run of albums from Something Else to Everybody's in Show Biz that stack up to ANYBODY

bvb1123 likes this.
  10. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Lance LaSalle and bvb1123 like this.
  11. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

In a word, "Yes."

bvb1123 likes this.
  12. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

the general public watch Dancing with the Stars so 'nuff said...ok the first season was alright but come on, how long can you watch over the hill celebs foxtrot??

bvb1123 likes this.
  13. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I like General Public. I like The Kinks. Dunno what GP thought of The Kinks. RIP Ranking Roger

bvb1123 likes this.
  14. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

The Gen Pub may also know and like Kinks songs used in commercials without knowing who the band is

bvb1123 likes this.
  15. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I’m not sure anymore. However one thing I’m sure of is that Ray Davies must have done a big poo in Chemically Altered’s Frosties at some point!

CheshireCat and bvb1123 like this.
  16. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Actually it was my Wheaties. ;) But let me digress, I've always felt that the Kinks were second string and deserve to be viewed as such. Now, wasn't that the point of this thread? If this was another Kinks appreciation thread I would have simply bypassed it.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    Darrin L. and bvb1123 like this.
  17. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

This ^

The Kinks are bit like the Clash. I recall everyone loving the singles from Combat Rock and wearing Clash Combat Rock t shirts. These songs are still played on classic rock stations. But did anyone ever venture backwards and listen to the first album, Give em Enough Rope, or anything on London Calling besides Train in Vain? Nope.

So it is with the Kinks. There are around 5 songs most people are familiar with. But for some reason, the same people who probably love those songs are simply unwilling to engage in further explorations.

18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

By the general public? Yes.

By music nerds? No.

Herman Schultz and bvb1123 like this.
  19. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

I'm a music nerd that has listened to about 12 Kinks albums. Verdict: Just ok.

bvb1123 likes this.
  20. Figure of Eight

Figure of Eight Forum Resident

Face to Face, Something Else, Village Green Preservation Society and Arthur are all in 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die, now on its umpteenth edition. Those albums were all in the first edition of the book, and as of the 2018 edition they're all still there.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  21. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Other members have wasted spent time discussing this ad nauseum:

"…And being a Kinks fan can’t be easy.”
    Do The Kinks get enough respect?
    The Kinks' diminishing importance over time?

Please define 'underrated'. Many members mention this rating system, but I have yet to find it. How do I decide if a band is underrated? Are everyone's standards the same as mine? And who is the General Public? What constitutes that population? People who only know three songs by the Kinks?
    :confused:

bvb1123 and Myke like this.
  22. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

Personally, I would add Muswell Hillbillies to these!

Even their earlier albums are mainly great for their time, other than maybe half the first one.

bvb1123 likes this.
  23. Figure of Eight

Figure of Eight Forum Resident

Yup, me too... and Lola vs Powerman and the Moneygoround, which is my favourite album of theirs!

24. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

I would suppose the fact that they weren't allowed to tour in the US for the latter half of the sixties did not help them:

(fromWikipedia) Following a mid-year tour of the United States, the American Federation of Musicians refused permits for the group to appear in concerts there for the next four years, effectively cutting off the Kinks from the main market for rock music at the height of the British Invasion.[1][43] Although neither the Kinks nor the union gave a specific reason for the ban, at the time it was widely attributed to their rowdy on-stage behaviour.[43] It has been reported that an incident when the band were taping Dick Clark's TV show Where The Action Is in 1965 led to the ban. Ray Davies recalls in his autobiography, "Some guy who said he worked for the TV company walked up and accused us of being late. Then he started making anti-British comments. Things like "Just because the Beatles did it, every mop-topped, spotty-faced limey juvenile thinks he can come over here and make a career for himself." following which a punch was thrown and the AFM banned them.

bvb1123 and Lance LaSalle like this.
  25. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

Most of the population only know Lola and You Really got Me, maybe 1 or 2 others. So yes they are under appreciated. I like almost all of their music, except some of the Shel Tameny songs forced on them and to some extent Preservation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.