Are there any Americanisms in lyrics that we can explain to you non-Americans?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by action pact, Sep 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

Good question already.

Comet01 likes this.
  2. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I can't think of instances of the word already at end the end of sentences.
    Exception - I would say "Alright already!" if someone kept repeating themselves to me.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  3. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

That's the major instance. A variant would be "Enough, already!"

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  4. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

Interesting thank you, here's the ones I don't (didn't) get (including the ones you listed), I must admit I was once puzzled by the 'homeless vets' one :) I imagine a few of these are 'Nam or Korea related?

Johnnie Ray
    Walter Winchell, Joe DiMaggio
    Rosenbergs, Panmunjom
    Marciano, Santayana goodbye
    Nasser and Prokofiev
    Campanella
    Roy Cohn, , Toscanini, Dacron
    Dien Bien Phu falls,
    "Peyton Place"
    Little Rock, Pasternak, Mickey Mantle,
    Starkweather,
    Edsel is a no-go
    Syngman Rhee, payola
    Eichmann, "Stranger in a Strange Land"
    Liston beats Patterson
    Sally Ride,
    Bernie Goetz

5. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I'll take a crack at a few (the ones I care about, anyway):

Johnnie Ray – Pop singer of the early 1950s, known for "Cry" and other songs. Very emotional style of singing.
    Walter Winchell – Hollywood reporter of the 30s and 40s, known for hard-hitting exposés and gossipy stories
    Joe DiMaggio – Great outfielder for the New York Yankees. At one point married to Marilyn Monroe.
    Marciano– Rocky Marciano, boxer
    Campanella – Roy Campanella, catcher for the Brooklyn Dodgers. Career ended when he was paralyzed in a car accident.
    Little Rock – site of the first school in the American South to be integrated. It took the president sending in the National Guard to do it
    Mickey Mantle – successor to Joe DiMaggio on the New York Yankees. Switch-hitting center fielder known for his prodigious home runs.
    Edsel is a no-go – a car introduced with great hype and fanfare by Ford in 1958 that proved to be a colossal flop
    Payola – the practice of record labels paying (or giving gifts to) radio DJs to play certain songs. Investigated by Congress in 1959 and ruined Alan Freed's career, even though it was a widespread practice on the part of many others.
    "Stranger in a Strange Land" – science fiction novel by Robert Heinlin, much-read on college campuses in the late 60s/early 70s
    Liston beats Patterson – heavyweight boxers. Liston was subsequently beaten by Cassius Clay (Muhammad Ali)
    Sally Ride – astronaut, first American woman to fly in space, and also the youngest astronaut

Lost In The Flood and rich100 like this.
  6. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

America was actually made up of US kids who had been raised in England while their dads were in service. Not sure where they were based, though, given that George Martin produced several of their best albums, they obviously continued to spend at least some time in England.

7. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Ethel and Julius Rosenberg. Executed for passing nuclear secrets to the Soviet Union.
    Nassar is more your own history. 2nd Ruler of Egypt after the end of British colonialism.
    Peyton Place: A, for the time, controversial novel due to it's sexual themes, that was later adapted into a film and successful TV series.
    Eichmann was the highest ranking Nazi official to escape Germany after the war. He was a primary arcitect of the Holocaust. He fled to Argentina and lived under an assumed identity until the 1960's when Israeli agents found him, kidnapped him and brought him back to Israel, where he was tried and executed. (Billy Joel's father escaped from Germany after Hitler rose to power).
    Bernie Goetz shot four black teenagers who were harassing him for money in a threatening manner on the New York subway in 1984.

8. MCT1

MCT1 Forum Resident

Of the ones that haven't already been covered by others, I was only familiar with a few. With some help from Wikipedia:

Panmunjom - town in Korea where the truce that ended the Korean War was signed

Santayana goodbye - philosopher George Santayana; known for the sayings "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" and "Only the dead have seen the end of war"; born in Spain but came to the U.S. as a child and lived most of his life here; "goodbye" seems to be a reference to his death in 1952

Prokofiev - Russian composer of Classical music and ballet; left Russia at the time of the 1918 revolution and lived abroad for a number of years, including some time spent in the U.S., but eventually returned to Russia (by then part of the Soviet Union) in the 1930s; based on where his name appears in the song, may be a reference to his death in 1953

Roy Cohn - prominent lawyer; based on where his name appears in the song, seems to be a reference to his role as counsel to Senator Joseph McCarthy (of "McCarthyism" infamy)

Toscanini - Italian-born orchestra conductor; spent much of his professional life in the U.S., leading the Metropolitan Opera, New York Philharmonic, and NBC Symphony Orchestra; based on where his name appears in the song, probably a reference to his radio and TV appearances in the '40s and early '50s; he died in 1957

Dacron - a type of polyester or plastic; presumably a new thing back in the '50s

Dien Bien Phu falls - 1954 battle which ended French colonial rule in Vietnam

Pasternak - Russian novelist; wrote "Dr. Zhivago"; won 1958 Nobel Prize for literature, though Communist authorities in the Soviet Union would not allow him to accept it; based on where his name appears in the song, probably a reference to "Dr. Zhivago" and/or the Nobel Prize; he died in 1960

Syngman Rhee - president of South Korea from 1948 to 1960; had spent time in the U.S. at various times earlier in his life and had a strong relationship with U.S. authorities; was apparently a bit of an authoritarian ruler; went into exile in 1960 in the face of a revolt driven by accusations of electoral rigging; flown out of South Korea by the CIA and lived the remaining five years of his life in Hawaii

9. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

Awesome, thanks

You have to wonder what would be in that song were it written today...

10. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

You should have asked Rory Gallagher about the bullfrog -- he had the Bullfrog Blues for years!

11. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Is this really true?! How horrifying! I'm a Yank, but I'd hate to see the English accent fade away.

12. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Don't worry, they don't.

Fullbug and KingPrawn19 like this.
  13. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

I've still got the pink slip for my '67 Mustang.

adad likes this.
  14. MCT1

MCT1 Forum Resident

One thing I've always been stuck by about this song: It has four verses. It takes Joel until the end of the third verse to get from the late 1940s (I guess Joel's birth in 1949 is the starting point) to the mid 1960's, a period of about 15 years. The remaining 25 years until the time the song was recorded (1989) are then covered in just a single verse.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    Lost In The Flood and Grant like this.
  15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

There's definately a hole in the late 60s and 70s.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  16. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

Which one?

I'm currently in Suffolk and have had a few locals confused by my mild North Eastern accent and pronunciations.

17. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Thats because what happens to you innyour childhood and teenage years impact you more than what happens to you as an adult. The experiences i mean.

18. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

And what's wrong with that .... ? ♫

19. awsop

awsop Forum Resident

Sometimes I read just the word 'This' as a reply to an earlier post. What's the meaning of it ?

20. Captain Keefheart

Captain Keefheart Forum Resident

I agree with this.

awsop and Blank Frank like this.
  21. awsop

awsop Forum Resident

Aha, so it's one of those internet shortcuts. THX.

Captain Keefheart likes this.
  22. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I would say it indicates particularly strong agreement with what is being cited. To use another (American?) phrase: "You've hit the nail right on the head."

23. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

This past Thursday AM, while waiting for the local Avondale to open so that I could buy my two daily newspapers, AM 1440 WJJL Niagara Falls NY played this song. I was reminded of this thread and thought, "There's lottsa stuff in this song's lyrics that makes it interesting". Rather than copy/paste the lyrics, I linked to song to its lyrics: "GTO" - Ronny and the Daytonas.

24. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

I wonder if the internet has lead to these curiosities to fade among younger generations
    I've never heard a recent song from a British artist that made me wonder "huh, I wonder what that means".

25. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

I don't think anyone in England sounds American. There is, however, that f'ing awful cod Jamaican accent young people speak in.

JoeF. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.