Are there any "Australianisms" in lyrics that we can explain to you non-Australians?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by qwerty, Sep 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums. Thread Starter

I don't think this is an Australianism. It's a reference to the sexual act, which Frank Zappa called in one of his videos "horizontal dancing".

Alan Beasley and GoodKitty like this.
  2. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

And what about the "internet restaurant" part ?
    Seems that was remarkably prescient of her ! ;)

Seriously though, that the "betting a kangaroo" might be referring to a coin .... that really does give it a possible different meaning that I'd never heard before. Interesting.

3. qwerty

And what about the "internet restaurant" part ?
    Lyrics online suggest that this line in Olivia Newton-John's "Physical" doesn't predict future web behaviour, it's a more traditional restaurant with low-lighting...
    I took you to an intimate restaurant
    Then to a suggestive movie
    There's nothing left to talk about
    Unless it's horizontally

Yes, I think Mylene's interpretation [post #370] of the "betting a kangaroo" referring to the old Australian penny is accurate (pic of the coin below).
    [​IMG]

John Buchanan, Mylene and GoodKitty like this.
  4. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Where's the bloody EGG?

BigSur32 and mark winstanley like this.
  5. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Olivia Neutron Bombs Physical was written by Stephen Kipner / Terry Shaddick. You are giving her credence for something she didn't write

6. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

I think you are placing way more significance to the use of two distinctive Aussie words thrown together in a song that attemps a bit of Australiana.
    Little advanced from rhyming moon with june

7. qwerty

The lyrics to Olivia Newton-John's "I'll Bet You A Kangaroo" are not an example stream of consciousness prose where words are just thrown together (like some of Dylan's mid 60's work). The song has somewhat of a narrative, so the songwriters would had not used the words randomly, even if they were also a vehicle to work in a few Aussie words.

Australians have a long tradition of using colloquial terms for money, eg., in the old days "quid" and "bob" were very commonly used for a pound and a shilling. Nowdays Australian notes tend to be referenced by some by their colours: "pineapple" for the $50 note, "lobster" for a $20, etc. We have a big country, so this slang may not be uniformly used or known over the continent, and like all language, may be pertinent for certain time periods. The two references below to Australian money slang is not consistent, as evidence of this variation. And I have only recently become aware of what a "pineapple", etc. can mean, so it's not a universal slang.

So although I haven't heard of "kangaroo" being used for the penny, I think it is conceivable that it is a term that may have been used. It is also conceivable that the songwriters "coined" the term for the song, believing that many Aussies would be able to work out the meaning.

Prawns, Lobsters and Pineapples - An Appreciation of Aussie Currency | Yoke
    Slang terms for money - Wikipedia

Rick Bartlett and Randoms like this.
  8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I have never heard that used.

qwerty, John Buchanan and Mitchy like this.
  9. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

That floods back the memories, using 'lobster' and 'pineapple' for labelling our notes.
    Havn't heard anybody use that terminology in decades!

mark winstanley and qwerty like this.
  10. Adkchaz

Adkchaz Forum Resident

how many kids and teenagers knew what the phrase “so we tanned his hide when he died clyde and that’s it hanging in the shed” meant? I thought then he got some kind of spanking or maybe folks didn’t think about it. Ten years ago i started working in a logging exhibit at the adirondack museum and there was hemlock bark on a sled. What the song means is that, like animal hides, the singer had his hide tanned like leather and hung up to be used and remembered. Before chemicals developed in the 1890s, hemlock bark was chipped, thrown into water vats for its tannin to be used for hides to be soaked in. So there.

11. Adkchaz

Adkchaz Forum Resident

Only to play beatles tracks like rev 9.

12. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

He was with the BBC on and off from the early 1950's to 1968, but . . . his last shows (from the early 1980's) did seem to be made on autopilot. I saw this same syndrome in the States with the likes of others who continued past their prime - namely, Jackie Gleason, Lucille Ball and Bob Hope.

13. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

That’s hilarious! I first heard “Sheila” used as slang for a hot woman in ‘74 when I was living in New Zealand. An Australian fellow named Bob Hudson had a pop hit titled “The Newcastle Song”, and that’s where I first heard it. The song was a hit in both Australia and New Zealand, and a big one at that! It was all over the radio! I still regard it as one of the funniest records ever!

14. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

"Sheila" is very dated slang. You might hear it in an outback country town, hardly ever in the city. "Bloke", on the other hand, is still in fairly common use.

The Newcastle song, I'm afraid, is full of the cringe factor. It comes across as someone trying too hard to sound Aussie.

E.Baba and qwerty like this.
  15. stetsonic

stetsonic Forum Resident

This might be more of a US thing due to Deniz Tek's involvement but what exactly does "TPBR" stand for in Radio Birdman's "TPBR Combo"? I always thought "Ten Pabst Blue Ribbons" would make most sense.

16. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

LOL!!! Well, I met my share of Ozzie Bogans who sounded exactly like that in the Newcastle song! It was a different world 40+ years ago! LOL!

mark winstanley and AudioEnz like this.
  17. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Sorry, it's not about music or songs, but I've just binge-watched the series LUNATICS on Netflix and I thought I was gonna die laughing !
    That guy doing all the characters (and the series itself) is a genius, right ? Is he big in Australia ? (I suppose so - well I think he deserves to be).
    :righton:

18. qwerty

Chris Lilley has produced quite a few series in Australia - all with him playing the lead characters, and being very politically incorrect. The style is the same in all his series, although they may have different settings/characters. He has a strong following, but I wouldn't say that he is huge. His type of humour polarizes the viewing audience. Although I think he's clever, I've never warmed to him.

Zongadude likes this.
  19. Adkchaz

Adkchaz Forum Resident

A one hit wonder by Rolf Harris in the 1960s, "Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport" has his dying wish, "Tan me 'ide when I'm dead Fred", he dies and a voice comes in singing "So we tanned his hide when he died, Clyde, and that's it hanging in the shed." I and millions of other kids buying this then had a view of why are they spanking him when he's dead? Well, he wanted his skin to be useful, so with the same tanning process making cowskin into leather , he wanted to have his skin useful , so they made leather of it, hanging it in the shed. If you bought this record in your youth then, did you know about tanning or spanking yer hide?

D.B. likes this.
  20. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

It would never have occurred to me that "tanning the hide" in this song could mean anything other than drying it out. It would be common parlance in rural Australia, and I'd be surprised if the practice was not also common in the US.

21. Adkchaz

Adkchaz Forum Resident

Not to teens buying the record then. I work at the logging exhibit at the adirondack museum and most older folks like me, after explaining hemlock barks’ use in tanning until around 1900 when chemical salts were used, hardly any knew the tanning reference in the song, most were familiar with the term for spanking. I explain this before a sled of peeled hemlock bark. I would also doubt teens today know how cowhide becomes leather. Just my experience with folks today.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  22. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

It's a great song, I still love it

D.B. and Joy-of-radio like this.
  23. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

All true but Rolf and hide tanning don't sound a good mix in 2019!

24. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Probably most kids today don't even know what a spanking is, let alone having ever received one.

25. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Err....they may think it is a solo recreational activity these days?

stetsonic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.