Are there any good artist tribute albums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Flatso, Aug 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

Marylou's Corvette within the last couple of years did a song-for-song cover of Dylan's BLOOD ON THE TRACKS.

THE DOC POMUS trib including Los Lobos (Lonely Ave.) and excellent versions of Viva Las Vegas (wistful ballad, Shawn Colvin) and Dylan doing the Boogie
    Woogie Country Girl(?) is prob my all-time fave trib.

Close Second: Tulare Dust.

doug

2. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Although I am not familiar with the entire album, but (The) Hollies Sing Dylan must be one of the first "tribute" albums.

3. Ken I still have my LP. I would grade it VG++. It's at the top of my list for a needle drop. :D

Back in my retail days in the early 1990s, we sold a schwack of a Swedish Depeche Mode tribute CD called "I Sometimes Wish I Was Famous". The CD contained 16 tracks with some interesting interpretations of such songs as "Dreaming Of Me", "Puppets", "Blasphemous Rumours", "Stripped", "Never Let Me Down Again", and "Shouldn't Have Done That".

Attached Files:

4. Um...was that not Uncut magazine?

Uncut has also released a couple of other covers CDs. There was one a couple of years ago featuring all Beatles covers. Last year Uncut released a double Rolling Stones issue. Two different covers. Two different CDs contained all Stones covers.

Attached Files:

5. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I have a Badfinger tribute CD, I can't recall the name of it, but it is pretty damn good. I recall the track "I Can't Take it" being excellent, one for the highlight disc. I think it was by Dwight Tilley, again, I am at work so I don't have access to the disc.

Maybe prix would know.

6. Peter D

Peter D Forum Resident

Well, if one artist recording an album of another's songs qualifies as a tribute album, then there's
    "Muddy Waters Sings Big Bill Broonzy" (1960)
    Dave Brubeck "Dave Digs Disney" (1957) (does "Brubeck Plays Brubeck" (1956) qualify as a self-tribute? :) )
    Then there's Ella Fitzgerald's many songbook albums from the 50s (eg, "Sings the Duke Ellington Songbook")

7. GregY

GregY New Member

Yup, my bad.

8. DavidW

DavidW Senior Member

From Louis Armstrong:

"Louis Armstrong Plays W.C. Handy"
    "Satch Plays Fats: The Music of Fats Waller"

9. jeendicott

jeendicott Senior Member

Where the Pyramid Meets the Eye - A Tribute to Roky Erickson!

Davido likes this.
  10. mjb

mjb Senior Member

Lou Reed also contributes a fine version of "This Magic Moment"... he was a personal friend of Pomus.

11. Stateless

Stateless New Member

Guess you can say that the Dylan 30th cncert is kind of a tribute album. It kind of runs the gamut from great (Richie Havens, McGuinn, Petty, Vedder, Colvin & Friends, Clapton) to not so great IMO (Lou Reed, Stevie Wonder's intro that's longer than the song, & well....Dylan :p)

12. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

IMHO, there's a big difference between "tribute" albums and "cover" albums. It's not prevalent at all today, but back in the 50's, 60's and even the 70's, it wasn't uncommon for artists to do cover versions (or entire themed cover albums) of songs from a movie, songwriters or bands, etc. It was a lot more prevalent in jazz--look at the Beatles themed albums, or the million-or-so takes on West Side Story. ;)

To me a "tribute" album is a various artist compilation. (I haven't heard one in at least a decade that is even listenable...the few I've bought, I've cringed over. All were mentioned above.) Or if not various artists, a "cover" album is now lumped into the "tribute" category IMHO.

An obscure example? Both Poncho Sanchez and Dave Samuels did tributes to Cal Tjader. Poncho's was a helluva lot better musically...Samuels (on Verve) and/or Univer$al's marketing department, billed his as a "tribute" and had a couple of guests on it. The CD booklet even tried for that funky 60's psychedelic retro look...I barely call this a tribute. More like a cash-in.

13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The soundtrack for "Me Myself and Irene" was something like 50% original songs and 50% Steely Dan covers. I guess it went along with the whole "schizophrenia" theme from the movie. Here are the Dan covers:

Do It Again - Smash Mouth
    Any Major Dude Will Tell You - Wilco
    Only a Fool Would Say That - Ivy
    Bodhisattva - Brian Setzer Orchestra
    Bad Sneakers - Push Stars
    Reelin' in the Years - Marvelous Three
    Barrytown - Ben Folds Five
    Razor Boy - Billy Goodrum

My favorite is the BSO's Bodhisattva.

Regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.