Are there any good powered speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tim 2, Nov 26, 2022.

1. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

New speakers will have some mighty big shoes to fill my friend

Tim 2, aunitedlemon and timind like this.
  2. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE Thread Starter

Indeed.

3. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

Since your ears are fairly spoilt (possibly) by that S Faber you've got (i.e., your point of reference is fairly high), you also don't want any scaled down speaker to sound like a shadoobie. You want it to hold its own a bit.

I think @Khorn may be the only member here who lives with the Elac Navis. You could ask him how it worked out for him. I personally never heard it in my house (heard it briefly in another guy's house). Hence, I don't have a real reference for where it stood against some other stuff i've got. Nevertheless, the bookshelves go for 2k (i.e. 3k under your budget) and i think it picked up the EISA award for actives. Shadoobie speakers don't typically get that award. Pair it with a SVS Micro 3000 or a KEF KC62 and you could be in business, i think. But, of course, send it back during the return window and keep looking if it let ya down.

Tim 2 and Khorn like this.
  4. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Never heard my Elacs before I bought them for my A/V system. Hadn’t even read the reviews.
    I’m blown away by their capabilities and versatility. The naturalness of human voice and lack of listener fatigue is exceptional. And boy can they hit hard. It’s almost unbelievable.
    These must be one of the all time best speaker bargoons and could anchor many a main system with pride. Just sayin.

5. DIYmusic

DIYmusic Forum Resident

I bet if you ask nicely, one of the Moderators "Gorts" could come in and remove all of your comments that at the least seem very ill-informed.
    Just admit, you haven't followed "Active Speakers" at all and have no idea what they can do or sound like.

Honestly not a big thing to be wrong.
    A bigger man will admit to it.

timind likes this.
  6. DIYmusic

DIYmusic Forum Resident

Sounds great from your description!

What type/genre of music do you normally use them with, or mostly Home theatre?

Tim 2 and Khorn like this.
  7. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Because we spend almost all are time in our bed/sitting room it’s not your average scenario. It could b argued that at times the system is on almost 24/7.
    From the time we awake on goes the tv for the morning news and, if we’re not going out on it stays maybe till I’m listening in the wee hours to one of the Tidal playlists generated for me which are heavily jazz, blues, new bluegrass and vocal oriented.
    I find it imperative though to be totally immersed in my main system at least a few hours a day or more if at all possible. Whole different experience.

DIYmusic and Tim 2 like this.
  8. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

I covered the Hong Kong Audio Show - two of my top 3 rooms came from powered speakers - I liked both more than what I have heard from ATC, Genelec, or PMC (which I have auditioned a LOT over the years):

Meyer Sound (USA Professional speakers - quite expensive) ULTRA-X20
    PSI (Professional Speakers from Switzerland (quite reasonably priced) Precision active studio monitors / active bass trap

PSI makes more sense for a home and it looks more appealing IMO
    Still I have yet to prefer any Active speakers to better passive speakers but PSI makes a nice case for itself as does Meyer if high SPL and High Impact are critical.

These reviewers seem to be fans of Monty Python

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    Tim 2 likes this.
  9. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

Are there any good powered speakers
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Texado, DIYmusic and Tim 2 like this.
  10. DIYmusic

DIYmusic Forum Resident

Genelec would be one of my first choices, If I were looking for this type of speaker for sure.

I found some reviews of them over at ASR, and they fare quite well.

Tim 2 likes this.
  11. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

What we don’t realize is that poor Asian woman who’s in danger of being crushed is only 3 foot 11. :shake:

12. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE Thread Starter

Yeh the Genelec 1032CPM looks like it would fit the bill, although there not much to look at.
    No local dealer so I'd have to purchase un-seen un-heard, kind of scary.
    Class D amp too.

13. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Kii 3 BXT are among the best speakers I've heard. Not quite apples to apples because they weren't in the same room and we all know how much of a massive difference that makes, but I did like the sound of active ATC SCM50 to the times I've heard them passive, best way I could describe it is the active version had more "presence."

I say this as someone that currently has Atma-sphere and Ayre amps and really like both. These days my goal isn't for warmth, bloom or to make the music sound pleasant but for sheer realness, what sounds closest to how instruments are when I hear them in person.

edit: this is the best review I've read for the Kii 3 because the author seems to be a classical listener and understands lexicon specific to that genre: SoundStage! Simplifi | SoundStageSimplifi.com - Kii Audio Three DSP-Controlled Active Loudspeakers

Tim 2 likes this.
  14. DIYmusic

DIYmusic Forum Resident

Found this, I assume you may have also, or not..

Genelec 1032A Measurements (including spinorama)

Tim 2 likes this.
  15. daytona600

16. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

17. timind and Tim 2 like this.
  18. daytona600

07s Superb , Towers are WTF amazing
    [​IMG]

Texado, Shawn, Tim 2 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Jimi Floyd

What about the two round "things" in the lower corners? Do they have any purpose or it's just because the speakers look "better" that way?

20. Ports to affect bass.

Tim 2 likes this.
  21. Uberdine

Uberdine Well-Known Member

I agree that power amps and speakers should be seen as one unit but, let’s be honest, engineering even one of those two components to an excellent standard is pretty ****ing hard. I don’t think even Nelson Pass or John Curl could pull that off. I’ll stick to passives for now, but maybe some genius will pull it off in the future, who knows

22. Jimi Floyd

I see. They could not decide if the cabinet was better ported or not.

23. WildPhydeaux

WildPhydeaux Forum Resident

I'm onside with the OP's dislike of the look of KEF LS speakers, I feel like that stupid star in the middle of the driver would annoy the heck out of me. If it weren't for that, the LS60 in blue look darn nice in appearance and on paper.

Had to laugh at the "what's included" list though:

Wireless speaker
    Power cable
    Interconnect cable

Er, a wireless speaker with double the number of wire of my non-wireless speaker. Nice.

Cheers,
    Robert

Tim 2 likes this.
  24. No, it's for different applications. From Hedd's web site:

Closed or Ported (CoP) technology gives you two distinct sound options you can choose from: Pinpoint accuracy („Closed“ by inserting foam plugs into the bass ports) and the ability to run the speakers at higher volumes and maintain access to lower bass regions („Open“).

The MK2 range also includes Desktop- and Shelving-filters to further adapt the speakers to your room and a Bass-Extension mode that lets you access even lower frequency areas. All controls can be accessed via smooth stepped aluminum potentiometers, making speaker adjustments a charm.

TYPE 07 MK2

DIYmusic and Tim 2 like this.
  25. Jimi Floyd

...and what if you want accuracy AND bass extension?

timind likes this.