Are there any great films that you'd never watch again because of how depressing/intense they are?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by acemachine26, Jan 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Hell, just the scenes Metallica used in their long form video for "One" is plenty for that one...

2. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

The Metallica video is actually what made me seek out the original movie in the first place! :p

ohnothimagen likes this.
  3. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Heh heh...I remember back in high school, a bunch of us hanging out at our dealer's house after school watching Much Music- might have even been the old "Pepsi Power Hour" (remember that one?:D) and they played the complete "One" video with Johnny Got His Gun clips galore. Well, we'd already smoked a couple by that point but when that video was over, everybody was just sorta staring at the TV, stoned, stunned and silent, like "What the hell did we just see?":laugh: It was pretty intense.

4. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

The first one to come to my mind is Polanski's The Tenant. I remember it as very good and impressive, but I've got no desire to see it ever again.

5. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

While Leaving Las Vegas with Nicholas Cage was quite good I have no desire to watch a guy literally drink himself to death again.

6. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I'm surprised no one has mentioned A.I.

My desire to not revisit this one again stems not only from how mostly depressing the movie is but the time I originally saw it during it's theatrical run. It remains the only time I saw both men and women opening crying leaving the theater after it was over.

7. PhilJol

PhilJol Forum Resident

Tokyo Story moves at a snail's pace and so sad but some have voted it as the greatest film ever.

8. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I didn’t find it particularly slow. Then again, I’m a big fan of classical Japanese cinema.

Naming any work of art as the “greatest ever” is a fool’s errand, but, for what it’s worth, Tokyo Story isn’t even my favourite Ozu. That distinction goes to Late Spring.

9. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

Balthsar..is that a Bresson film? I LOVE that film. Yes, it is depressing, but it makes me FEEL something, and understand something more about the human condition. Very moving. You should see it.

PhilJol likes this.
  10. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Yes it's Bresson.

I've had the DVD for a couple of years but have not yet been in a mood to watch it.

11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Never the film just your state of mind while watching it.

12. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Hiroshima, mon Amour
    Night and Fog

Of course one is a documentary (of sorts) and the other uses actual footage. It's the real bits that make them so hard.

And yet, to never watch them again is to hide from the painful truth.

13. pblmow

pblmow Forum Resident

Hostel - I thought it was disgusting, so much so, I was embarrassed to be seen coming out of the theater.

14. pblmow

pblmow Forum Resident

The Fly = Jeff Goldblum........ This movie made me uncomfortable too. .

15. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Jacob's Ladder

Very good movie and a great performance by Tim Robbins (one of his best,) but I haven't watched this movie since I saw it when it was released and I have no desire to watch it again. It just messes with the mind in a devastating way, especially when the ending was revealed. (I wonder how it would've truly been watching it while under the influence because it sure felt that way sober.)

The following movie I've seen multiple times and will watch it if bored and I notice it playing on one of the movie channels, but Silence of The Lambs is a hard one to get through because of the intensity and subject matter. If it wasn't for the great performances by Anthony Hopkins, Jodie Foster, Scott Glenn, and Ted Levine (Buffalo Bill,) I doubt I would ever sit through it multiple times like I have.

GregM and Paulette like this.
  16. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I love plenty of depressing films, and watch the best of them many times. For example Bergman is my favorite director, and many consider his films overall to be depressing. But I tend to find something in even the more depressing of them, such as Winter Light, that redeem them in one way or another. Same for many other "depressing" films.

One exception - Schindler's List. When I saw it I was amazed how well done it was at the same time I was experiencing the film on a more direct level. But I have not gone back to see it again, because each time I consider doing so, I can't bring myself to go back into that horrifying world. It was as if the film was too real in showing its horrors. In fact that's the only film I can think of right now that fits as an answer here.

Paulette likes this.
  17. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident

The Passion- Mel Gibson
    I went with some friends from my church and walked out with a melted face.
    I actually own it because my mom bought it for me and I did watch a second time.
    My church friends saw it a bunch of times and I'm like, what? Maybe they think it's a type of mental penance but I don't want to watch my Savoir getting pummeled over and over. God probably never watched it again. That day broke his heart into a million peices.

GregM and Dudley Morris like this.
  18. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

I think it is more profound than depressing, if that makes any sense.

19. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident

I've seen it only twice. I'm the kind of person who watches great films a couple times a year.
    This one, 2x in what, 20 years?
    Sometimes I do watch documentaries and I cry for days. That was one of the more exceptionally hideous wars. I guess also because it was the first to be videotaped relatively well.

Hardy Melville likes this.
  20. PhilJol

PhilJol Forum Resident

I like Floating Weeds myself, both versions equally. It was interesting to compare the silent vs speaking films.

stepeanut likes this.
  21. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Two of the best movies ever made. I re-watch them every few years.

I tend to think he may have been poisoned by Ta Mok.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  22. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Yes, that certainly makes sense. :)

I fear that it'll upset me more than depress me.

23. That's Mr. Foghat

That's Mr. Foghat Forum Resident

Reds
    Saw it on cable way back when.

24. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

Yeah but...you'll remember it for the rest of your life...and. for me anyway, it lets me remember that there is good and there is bad..and there is the in-between...and where do i put myself?.;.who am i?....what do i stand for, if anything?..how can i be a better human?.....works of immense-ness make me a stronger person..(if only that i can understand, be one-ness with the immense-ness)....and the film shows human characters....in all their human-ess.....

25. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

You're lucky.
    I've been interested in watching this film for a while now as I've never seen it, but all I can find is a blurry version on Youtube.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.