Are there any Oasis fans here ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Erik B., Oct 26, 2021.

1. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power Thread Starter

They were huge in the 1990s, especially during the heyday of Britpop. I think as we get more removed from those golden years, their legacy becomes stronger.

So, any Oasis fans here ?

2. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

:wave:

Saw them together and solo many times. Even got to meet Gem, Andy & Liam once. Got a pic with Liam too. He was super nice!

3. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Pre-covid, my company held meetings that involved an international group of employees and I got to talking to one of the English guys (about my age) at the bar afterwards. Somehow the Stone Roses came up and we both expressed our admiration. Later in the night, he (completely plastered) cornered me to tell me how great Oasis were and that their b-sides were "fookin' better than anyone else's a-sides, mate."

4. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

Sure, I like Oasis. I think they have a number of fans here, alongside the usual old people who think anything made after 1974 is unworthy of human consumption. There have been a few good threads about them and the brother's solo careers.

5. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

Dunno if I'm a fan but I looooved them for the first three years, then it slowly tapered off to not caring by 2002

D-rock and Erik B. like this.
  6. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Yes there are plenty. But as you saw from the first comment on this thread, the Oasis-hate is also out of the charts here.

agundy and Erik B. like this.
  7. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

I love Oasis and I don’t apologize for it.

8. OmIsWhereTheHeartIs

OmIsWhereTheHeartIs Forum Resident

9. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Yes, lots.

10. Paper Shark

Paper Shark Forum Resident

Great band. I really enjoy Noel's solo stuff as well. Wonderwall is an awesome album.

Erik B. likes this.
  11. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Geezer here. Grew up with The Who, Kinks, Cream, King Crimson…

I love Oasis and as well as Noel’s and Liam’ solo stuff.

Still Mega to this ole fart.

12. Erik B.

He wasn’t wrong.

ZoSo794, brownie61 and JuanTCB like this.
  13. Erik B.

Come on man !!

14. Erik B.

All their solo stuff is Biblical except when Noel G started going pysch dance pop crazy.

15. 905

905 Senior Member

I'm a big fan.
    I like Dig Out Your Soul as much as the first two albums.

16. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yeah, it's British lager lout music low on IQ, makes total fookin' sense.

theMot and CaptainFeedback1 like this.
  17. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

I'd recommend you search "Oasis", "Noel Gallagher" and "Liam Gallagher" in the search bar.

18. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Oasis are great. Love Noel and Liam’s solo material too. Can’t wait for the latter’s new album next May.:)

Riffmaster227 and Erik B. like this.
  19. Erik B.

I think DOYS was a strong comeback for sure.

Beatles Fan 4 Life and JuanTCB like this.
  20. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Just don't mention Beady Eye! You wont find much love, not even from Liam fans!

Erik B. likes this.
  21. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Why people are now repeatedly comparing Oasis to The Kinks? I mean... that's like a whole new level of arbitrariness isn't it? :confused:

22. Erik B.

Although Beady Eye is kind of a running joke, their second album wasn’t nearly as horrible as their first.

And their lack of success put a fire in the **** of Liam to come up with those two great solo records and tours.

youngchoulin and bhazen like this.
  23. JohnJ

JohnJ Forum Resident

oh come on - we have 5 new Beatles thread every day!!

anyway…

great band at the time, they captured the mood of the country. Britpop is such a BS label. What they captured was young people having some hope - Euro 96, New Labour, Spice Girls. It was a terrific time to be around.

of course being, loud, and opinionated, giving the figurative and literal 2 fingers to authority meant that they run people up the wrong way. The more successful they got, the more ‘haters’ they got.

if you take the songs from the first 3 records and their b sides (yes even Be Here now!!) - there are very few bands that have a better catalogue of songs. There are also some diamonds amongst the crap in their later albums.

I’ve no desire to see them reform, I’ve got my memories of seeing them many times, and I’m enjoying the solo work of Noel and Liam.

24. Cimrya Deal

Cimrya Deal Forum Resident

They pretty much were the soundtrack to my teenage years!
    The first thing I heard from them was Whatever and I thought it was a great song. Then I read about their reputation in England (I'm French) and I was like 'yeah sure, why not? But what a song!!!!'. Then I heard Supersonic and was fascinated by everything in this track. This super long pick scrape at the beginning, those lead guitar fills, the key change between verse and chorus, the long fadeout with handclaps. What's not to like? Then they released (What's The Story) Morning Glory. Roll With It as the lead single. What the what was this? Forgettable. Then in october '95 we went on holidays in England with my parents and on the car radio came Wonderwall... That's the probably the moment I was hooked. Everything was fascinating on this. And I was an Oasis fan. That is until '97 and Be Here Now... What a letdown... The Masterplan was a pleasant surprise as I'd never heard most of the tracks on this. And then Guigsy & Bonehead quit and that was pretty much the end of the band. They continued to release stuff but I become less and less interested. The only single that really excited me was Shock of Lightning. And then it was over.
    What's left of all this is Definitely Maybe & Morning Glory and those awesome B-sides. And now I think Blur is a much more interesting band :D

25. Erik B.

I was with you ... until your last sentence.

brownie61 likes this.