Are there plans for 50th Anniversary John Lennon / Plastic Ono Band? What should be on it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lynd8, Oct 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. green_ovation

green_ovation Forum Resident

I’m in agreement. While I prefer POB to Double Fantasy, I’d really rather have that set this year.partially because there’s so much of the DF sessions that hasn’t been released, but also because I’d rather it be released while Yoko is still with us. I know she could live to 97 but....
    That said, I’m expecting POB 50th this year. I’m not sure what else, but definitely that, with Instant Karma, Cold Turkey and Give Peace A Chance included.
    I’m sure there’s enough left in the vaults to make an interesting POB set. We can’t assume we’ve heard it all. They haven’t let us down on unreleased material yet, there’s always something unheard in these Beatles/solo boxes.

2. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Let's hope after the Flaming Pie box set comes out on July 31 that at some point in August we get an announcement on the John 80th birthday plans highlighted by a POB 50th box...…….

3. green_ovation

I can't wait for that announcement. Hopefully even more than that... 80th birthday is a biggie! not to mention, 40 years since his passing... I'd like a lot of John this year!

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  4. Adamjames

Adamjames Forum Resident

I personally feel we will get a big project of Lennon material this year. Yoko Ono is 87 I’m sure she would want to do this for John and so I have my fingers crossed for some exciting releases. Hopefully
    We will know more in the coming months .

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  5. Adamjames

Adamjames Forum Resident

I have many things I’d like to see happen, reissues box sets etc but I don’t want to raise my hopes so I’ll just see what happens
    And what we get.

6. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Give me both POB albums plus a surround remix and a singles demos and outtakes disc or two and I'll be happy.

Wingsfan2012 and Spencer R like this.
  7. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

The original album 100% analog, extra material is ok, even if not 100% analog. Same fit and finish as the MM reissues.

8. Adamjames

Adamjames Forum Resident

Well if it (POB) follows imagine they didn’t offer the original 1971 mix of that album. They gave the quad mix and the new 2018 mix. So I would think it would follow that path. I have the blu Ray audio of the imagine album from the 2010 remaster that was also released on the sacd reissues.

If they found the double fantasy footage and had some of that on a release of some kind I’d be over the moon! I do have the 12 cd/dvd recording the fantasies box set it’s 95% Johns outtakes of course I personally would of liked more of Yoko’s but I’m a fan of hers I’d love “walking on thin ice” in 5.1 surround I know for some people that would be there idea of torture but I love that song.

Lost In The Flood and vivresavie like this.
  9. Adamjames

Adamjames Forum Resident

I hope the plastic Ono band box has the classic album documentary included with it. The book has already been announced so we know that’s coming and I’m sure the box set up will be done in the same way as imagine box set was!

10. green_ovation

I agree about the setup, but I can’t see POB being as vast as Imagine was 2 years ago. I think they’ll have the Ultimate Mix and include the first 3 singles as bonus tracks, then probably CDs of outtakes and demos. Just my guess, but I hope there’s much more.

11. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

This will be interesting if they do a remix. This music is real basic, drums, bass, guitar, vocal and piano. What can they tone down or bring up that we haven't already heard?

(I forgot to add "Wind" by Yoko when I pointed out the instruments)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  12. Adamjames

Adamjames Forum Resident

I think it will be more about the surround sound like imagine this album had been remixed before

13. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

I looked at the Discogs versions and I can't find a LP remix of JL/POB.
    RE=reissue
    RM=remaster
    Was the remix on CD only?

14. Adamjames

Adamjames Forum Resident

I believe it was released on mfsl vinyl as was imagine.

15. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

If this one follows the physical format (and price) of the Imagine boxed set, I'll be very happy.

16. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Hopefully we start getting some news in August with potential release in early October. I am also hoping for a similar package like Imagine - couple of Blu-ray’s with the album and outtakes in new stereo/surround produced and raw studio mixes.

Isn’t the Instant Karma (2020 mix) on vinyl due next month?

andrewskyDE, supermd and 5th-beatle like this.
  17. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

What was the last (if any) official statement about this project, from either the record company and/or the Steve Hoffman Forum insiders?
    Calling on @maccawings @mikecarrera @Rigsby
    is it being delayed because of C-19 or still on time?

andrewskyDE and mikecarrera like this.
  18. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Dead quiet on my end

19. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I think you're right: we'll probably hear more about POB after the Flaming Pie reissue. Maybe they'll use the Instant Karma release as a starting point to promote the Lennon box.

Cristiano Cortellazzi likes this.
  20. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Universal announced Imagine reissue on Aug 23, 2018 for an Oct 5th release (~43 days before release)

The Instant Karma (2020 mix) single comes out on Aug 29th, which is ~40 days before John’s 80th birth anniversary. So it’s possible that the POB reissue could be announced on the same day as the Instant Karma RSD single with the digital version released on same day as the lead promo track.

We got another month to find out. Hopefully @mikecarrera will drop a hint before that :)

21. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

The last I heard it was still happening. But that was a while ago. Put it this way I haven’t heard of a cancellation or delay but that might not mean a lot

22. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

'LIB 50th' is still on my table! (separated from the new film and that doesn't mean it will be out this year as planned). Release date, configurations, etc, so you can imagine how frustrating is that due to Covid-19 there's an hermetic lack of information. Yesterday I've dreamed that I was checking all the info and configurations regarding 'ATMP50th'!!! and comparing the outtakes in my head with previously available versions!

23. Karl Denver

Karl Denver You’ll get nothing and like it!

So Mike- when you say still on the table, does that mean there is a chance for this year (2020)or do you know for certain definitely not this year but in the near future?

24. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Perhaps the people at Apple and EMI will be more motivated if they think of how many people are spending more hours at home waiting for something to play the hell out of.

mcallister likes this.
  25. Paulismyname

Paulismyname Forum Resident

I have a copy of Rolling Stone from 1998 with a pretty in-depth feature about the John Lennon Anthology where Rob Stevens listed a few tracks that did not make the cut. He mentioned an electric "God." I don't know if that has been out there, or if he meant a studio outtake or demo. I would presume that could be on the 50th anniversary track list, and how about the 1982 remix of "Love?" I don't believe that is on CD.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.