Are there plans for 50th Anniversary John Lennon / Plastic Ono Band? What should be on it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lynd8, Oct 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bward

bward Senior Member

I'd be interested in hearing/owning any demo or writing tapes that might exist for Plastic Ono Band.
    Plus, more of that rock and roll medley. Didn't they play a longer version of it on Lost Lennon Tapes? It was one of those things that cast the sessions in a new light for me.
    Put that together with some alt takes and a nice book, and it's no brainer preorder.

Also, the one Lennon project I would love to see, and I'm surprised it doesn't officially exist, is a well curated collection of the Bermuda Tapes. Do it big like a Dylan set, and release a stripped down (single CD) of just the unreleased songs. Add a detailed book about the origins of the songs and where some of the fragments ended up, and again, it's a must purchase, sight unseen.

2. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I'm hoping that they'll keep 'God' on the 50th Anniversary release.
    It's a really nice song.

:--)

3. Irish-Matti

Irish-Matti Music Lover Since Birth

Makes Yoko sound good. How dreadful.

Sean, AFOS and sekaer like this.
  4. Adamjames

Adamjames Forum Resident

Yoko is now in a wheelchair and struggles to walk and speak if you google her you will see yourself she will be 87 next year so hopefully she still has more years ahead of her

LandHorses and somnar like this.
  5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I think that Yoko has either had a stroke or is suffering from dementia. I suspect that she no longer has creative control. It’s a bit of a shock because she seemed so strong for so long.

LandHorses, somnar, TonyCzar and 2 others like this.
  6. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Seeing these greats get and old and sick (and die) is really sad. So many that I am absolutely dreading :shake:

7. Adamjames

Adamjames Forum Resident

I think maybe both. She said herself in a interview for Japanese TV with Sean sitting next to her that they told her she would be dead with in a month, this was when she was taken to hospital for what the papers said was a stroke it was only Sean who said it was the flu but whatever it was it’s left her in a bad state and she can’t function and I know she has nurse as the same lady is always now with her and is helping her. Sad to see as she has always been so strong and a force of nature, but she is just a human like all of us in reality. I did always think she would
    Make 100 I now just hope she makes 90

LandHorses and somnar like this.
  8. Adamjames

Adamjames Forum Resident

This video shows how she is now

Library Eye, LandHorses and Jerquee like this.
  9. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

JohnLennon/ Plastic Ono Band is an outstanding album Bought it when it first came out and loved it. Raw and powerful. Sure wasn' t no ' Abbey Road '!
    But the thing with this album is that it was never popular and didn't sell well either. No hit single on it.
    In light of this , would a 50th anniversary remix set be viable?
    On the other hand I can definitely see a 40th anniversary collection for ' Double Fantasy '
    But if Yoko passes away soon who knows what will happen.

10. Adamjames

Adamjames Forum Resident

I think she would want input in to this double
    Fantasy project if it goes ahead. It promotes her and John and I think that’s something she would
    Want to do especially if it is the last thing she is involved in . So many recordings, photos, audio interviews and a little footage and who knows the missing footage if it does survive somewhere also milk and honey and Yokos walking on thin ice. It could be a definite set of double fantasy related material

11. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I'm looking to create my own deluxe edition using all of the officially available outtakes, question is what collections would I need to do this?

I have the following...

POB Remix
    Anthology
    Home Tapes
    Acoustic (on order from Amazon)

Is there anything I'm missing?

12. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

I found a live rehearsal of working class hero recently. It blew my mind.

Hopefully there is more of that stuff.

13. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

There is also an electric version of Working Class Hero with Elephants Memory from '72.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  14. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks I did not know that. Was it ever circulated/booted? I have a ton of Lennon boots/tapes but certainly don't remember an electric version of Working Class Hero with Elephants Memory from '72.

Great found it on U Tube so will listen later when at home. Also an old thread on SHF.
    John Lennon rehearses "Working Class Hero" with Elephant's Memory

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    blutiga likes this.
  15. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Check, one two...:)

brianvargo, oboogie, ptijerm and 3 others like this.
  16. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks great stuff.

blutiga likes this.
  17. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Only some esoterica...

There's the 1982 single remix of Love and the Japanese Interview EP

"The first 1,000 copies of the John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band LP (Apple AP-80174) contained a postcard with which the buyer could order this interview EP for free."

It's mostly Yoko talking in Japanese although John speaks a bit too. At the end, they sing a brief rendition of Give Peace A Chance with John on guitar. At one point, John is playing Dear Prudence too.

Another EP was produced for Imagine.

And since you're getting Acoustic, you should know that while Working Class Hero is the same take as Anthology, the Acoustic version "fixes" the performance by editing in a word to cover for John's voice cracking.

If you wanna get really really really deep, Green Day's cover of Working Class Hero crossfades into a brief segment of the original album version.

SteveFff, Timjosephuk and hodgo like this.
  18. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Thanks for all info :cheers:

Regarding "Acoustic" and this take of Working Class Hero.

I've heard that Acoustic is really badly no-noised, if it is indeed that bad, would I be better off editing this word from that CD into the one from Anthology?

19. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I would leave the Anthology version alone. Acoustic just "fixes" it by taking Hero from somewhere else in the song to repair it. And Acoustic has its own sound issues. The whole thing was apparently given a chorus effect.

hodgo likes this.
  20. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Thanks for posting but if I may give my opinion, this version melts in the sun compared to the stark, much more spontaneous sounding, in-your-face version on POB. I'd never heard this till now and i was hoping it would redeem Elephants Memory in some way. No cigar..in fact, no lighter.

blutiga likes this.
  21. Eleanora's Alchemy

Eleanora's Alchemy Forum Cryptid

Are there plans for 50th Anniversary John Lennon / Plastic Ono Band? What should be on it?

More John & less Yoko.

bluerondo and hodgo like this.
  22. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

A bonus disc of Yoko Ono screaming.

23. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I believe that Yoko only provided "wind" for this album.

So you want "less wind", right?

;)

Piiijiii, Library Eye, somnar and 2 others like this.
  24. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Mothmanica doesn't want Yoko passing any wind.

Eleanora's Alchemy likes this.
  25. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Well it only took 2 pages for the anti-Yoko brigade to come out of the woodwork, and she doesn't even appear on this album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.