Are there plans for 50th Anniversary John Lennon / Plastic Ono Band? What should be on it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lynd8, Oct 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supermd

supermd Senior Member

You'll get some flaming pie for dessert, too. :)

2. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Ok, so call it Reheated Karma.

Dan

3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

With all these releases, I think that I'll be eating SPAM for quite a long time... ;)

Wingsfan2012, DK Pete and supermd like this.
  4. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

I'd love to see Paul given the raw tapes and have him apply his magic to them: Ram 2, anybody?

5. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I can hear it now:

John: "Well well well, oh well" - Linda: "DO YOU LOVE ME LIKE YOU KNOW YOU OUGHT TO DO?"

On second thought, maybe not... ;)

6. Adamjames

Adamjames Forum Resident

What are the chances of getting a double fantasy and plastic Ono band box set in the same year ?

7. Arnold Grove

Zero %.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  8. Adamjames

Adamjames Forum Resident

I’ve really been hoping for a double fantasy box set while Yoko is still with us to have imput also there is so much more in the way of demos, songs recorded and they had a tape running through the whole sessions and they did many photo shoots and some filming and also the famous missing video if Yoko has it. It could have a separate book of photos and maybe a making of blu Ray and box set. There is no footage from plastic Ono band and no photos , well none that I’m aware of. They could use the making of plastic Ono band dvd as an extra but I can’t think of much else lots of outtakes have been released before. I have the unofficial 12 cd/dvd set called recording the fantasy’s and a book on the making of the album so that will have to do I guess if nothing is planned for this album

9. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

is that just your guess or based on anything you heard?

10. Arnold Grove

Just the likelihood of BOTH a Deluxe set of John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band and a Deluxe set of Double Fantasy appearing in the same year is highly UNlikely. We might get one of them this year, but not both.

11. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I'd definitely go for a deluxe set of John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band because it's a stone cold classic. Double fantasy on the other hand is big pass due to half of it being most definitely not my cup of tea.

stevenson66g and Stu54 like this.
  12. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I don’t know. I’m cautiously optimistic only because this is a big year, 80th anniversary of John’s birth (40th of his death, 50th of POB, 40th of DF) and Yoko has celebrated big milestone anniversary years with big releases (50th Lennon box and concerts, 60th remixed and remastered album reissues, 70th with the Lennon box etc) so I remain hopeful

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  13. Arnold Grove

Nothing wrong with Hope.

I hope for one this year and another one for next year. I like them to be spaced out as I like to have a good amount of time to really delve deep into these type of sets.

crossroads69 likes this.
  14. Adamjames

Adamjames Forum Resident

Yes I hope something big is planned for what would of been his 80th birthday I also think it’s possible for another box set of his greatest hits I’m sure many things have been planned and as most likely this is the last big thing Yoko will take part in seen as she is 87 in a few weeks so I think she would want to do something extra special this year

joeislive likes this.
  15. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I hear you , but if Paul can occasionally release 2 archives at once a few months after a big Beatles release I don’t see any reason why John/Yoko can’t either

Adamjames likes this.
  16. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Looks like there will be an accompanying book, as we saw with Imagine:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/John-Yoko-...&sr=1-3&swrs=3A29D42D8FBA021E0B05D81F4E46450C

Described by Lennon as ‘the best thing I’ve ever done’, and widely regarded by critics as his best solo album, John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band was released on 11 December 1970. With first-hand commentary by Lennon, Ono and other members of the Plastic Ono Band, and packed with previously unseen photographs by those who documented their lives, this incisive volume offers new insights into the raw emotions and open mindset of Lennon after marriage to Ono and the break-up of the Beatles, through heroin addiction and primal therapy under Arthur Janov, to the making of the album and revealing interview with Jann Wenner in December 1970.

After the Bed-In for Peace events held in Amsterdam in March 1969 Lennon and Ono decided that their future artistic endeavours would be credited to a conceptual vehicle, the Plastic Ono Band. The band featured a rotating line-up of musicians, including Eric Clapton, Klaus Voormann, Ringo Starr, Alan White, George Harrison, Billy Preston and Jim Keltner, all of whom played live with Lennon and Ono, and contributed to their recordings. Primal therapy had a huge impact on Lennon’s song writing, resulting in the creation of tracks that are intensely personal and soul-baring, including ‘Mother’, ‘Working Class Hero’ and ‘God’. This book takes those lyrics as a starting point and explores Lennon’s life, career and self-perception, from ‘performing flea’ with the Beatles to authenticity as a solo artist.

Table of Contents

Preface by Yoko Ono • I Sat Belonely • Who are the Plastic Ono Band? • Mother • Collaboration • Hold On • Live Performance • I Found Out • Working Class Hero • Catharsis • Isolation • Remember • Love • Well Well Well • Recording • Album Artwork • Look at Me • God • My Mummy's Dead • Emancipation

17. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

If the book is out October 8, then no question in my mind the box set will follow that Friday, October 9.

18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

it seems as though yoko and olivia harrison are not all that concerned with re-issues.

just my opinion, but it sure seems that way to me.

19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

..hmmm?? Yoko has been extremely supportive and contributable to all the Lennon reissues over the last 20 years or so. In fact, she spearheaded most of them. Olivia, granted, not so much (if at all).

20. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I thought initially that John and Yoko's LPs would be housed in the same box, but given the chapter titles in the book being all John songs, I'm guessing that's not the case, so I'll guess it's relatively small box, though CD3 is packed:

CD1: John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band (2020 Ultimate Mix)
    CD2: The Singles (New and vintage mixes of these 4 tracks: "Instant Karma", "Who Has Seen The Wind", "Mother - single edit", "Why", plus the 1982 John Lennon Collection mix of "Love")
    CD3: Demos and outtakes (all POB songs represented)
    BR1: Hi-res files and 5.1 mixes

It's a little strange to me that "Power to the People" was grabbed for the Imagine box when its release was just 3 months after Plastic Ono Band, and long before the Imagine sessions began. Could have gone either way I guess?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  21. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Olivia confirmed they're working on ATMP 50 and the success of the Imagine deluxe campaign has proven there's interest in POB. There's a tie-in book for POB like there was for Imagine, and there were plans for a preview single for RSD. There are definitely things in the works.

22. old school

old school Senior Member

The Plastic Ono Band really touched me so damned personal John just letting it all come out good or bad it’s all there. Still play this one all the time love to have a deluxe edition someday. Ringo’s drumming is really awesome very plain but fits so well with the theme of the album.

Suncola, Stu54, andrewskyDE and 2 others like this.
  23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Fixed that for ya. :)

24. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

So it appears we may be getting 50th anniversary reissues of POB, ATMP, as well as a new Get Back release, ALL IN OCTOBER!?! If this all happens, I guess it will help make up for the long release drought forced on us by current events. We need things to look forward to.

PassionPlay and Alan57 like this.
  25. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I hope a POB box is done like Imagine was.. That was top notch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.