Are there plans for 50th Anniversary John Lennon / Plastic Ono Band? What should be on it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lynd8, Oct 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I doubt all 3 will be released within the same month.

But it would be reasonable to see one big set each in September, October, and November. Maybe Let It Be first in September, then POB in October for John's birthday, and ATMP in November.

Then, in December, another colored vinyl release of Ringo The IVth... ;)

2. Adamjames

Adamjames Forum Resident

I’m definitely up for this and I’m glad it’s getting a book. I wonder what album of Johns will follow on and be given the box set treatment

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  3. So Peter Jackson movie September with book listed for 8 October.Box set surely tied in with those.
    Harrison book that looks like it is a tie in with ATMP listed for late September.Box with that I’m hoping.
    POB book also listed for 8 October.Imagine suggests that is date for box.
    Beatlemania!

4. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Would that be the IVth or the Vth coloured vinyl release of that album? And, incidentally, why was it titled Ringo the IVth? It certainly wasn't his fourth solo album.

Arnold Grove likes this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

this should be half price...

6. Arnold Grove

Yes, the colored vinyl of Ringo The IVth will be half price... ;)

7. Arnold Grove

I have lost track of all the many different colors of Ringo The IVth and Bad Boy. It boggles the mind...

As for why he called it Ringo The IVth, maybe he didn't consider his first 2 solo albums to be pop/rock records. So maybe he started counting from the 1973 Ringo album.

Then again, his math skills must have been weakened by all the alcohol that he was imbibing during the 1970s. ;)

Lost In The Flood and BlueJay like this.
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

you can keep that one. ; )

Arnold Grove likes this.
  9. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I think POB contains some of Ringo's best straight-ahead Rock and Roll drumming ever. I Found Out, Remember, Well, Well, Well...even the slower songs like Mother and God...perfect examples of how his style "serves" the song; powerful without taking over.

10. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

DK Pete likes this.
  11. Arnold Grove

Plus Ringo drummed on "Cold Turkey" too. His drumming was always great, but in 1968-1970 he was upping his game.

12. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

13. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

14. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member

Ringo & Klaus were also brilliant on YO/POB

15. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I truly always felt that John wasted his talents following the POB album. Not that Imagine isn't a great album and all but he really went into an uninspiring, bland and often time very naive direction. the POB album "band"-along with a second guitarist (or "main" guitarist..whichever way you choose to look at it)-would have been something to see in concert. Perhaps John could have done a limited concert tour with them, promoting the album well as taking his ex-Beatle career to new heights. Instead, he softened. He did Imagine which was mainstream as it got, followed by one murky life-phase after the next. It really is a shame. In the 70's, Paul became the superstar Pop star he was always meant to be but John never realized *his* full potential as a solo artist or even came close.

16. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Or else his (or someone else's) math skills didn't extend to Roman numerals. My suspicion is that the album was meant to be titled Ringo the 6th, being his sixth album, but someone in the art department didn't know their Roman numerals and put IVth instead of VIth. An understandable mistake. Lucky they didn't have to put the date of release in Roman numerals as well: MCMLXXVII.

17. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

What Roman numerals?

[​IMG]

18. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Fully agree with your assessment. Apparently John "softened" on Imagine because he thought that was necessary to make his "message" palatable for the masses. And in that respect, I suppose he was right. It worked. BUT he did lose a lot of his edge in the process, never to really return. And as you said, how incredible would a live tour of POB material have been! John could have gone to a whole other level (if that's even possible) had he pulled that live experience together and run with it. When he ended up working with Elephant's Memory Band it was such a let down. Ugh. It is a real shame he never took it all the way with POB when he had the chance.

19. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Still wonder why they seem to refuse to reissue Live Peace in Toronto. As much as I’m looking forward to this, hopefully with his 2 most popular albums out of the way the decks will be cleared and some love will be shown to the rest of his (small) catalog.

20. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Such a talent. I love when John puts Paul and Yoko in the same light...his two picked partners (I ain’t half bad at picking partners)...guy was delusional...but what do us fans know, right? Geez....

stevenson66g likes this.
  21. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

I very much agree, although I like Imagine. I think addiction is the real culprit, but it’s unpleasant to go there. John wasn’t “clean” until 1980, and then only by rock star standards. Paul smoked a lot of pot, but he had the sense to stay away from the hard stuff.

Stu54, DK Pete and 2141 like this.
  22. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Oops! I was led astray by Arnie's post (above). I always thought his every word was gospel true! I should have checked the album cover. But of course the question still remains, why was the album titled Ringo the 4th, when it was actually his 6th album?

23. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

It's the 4th installment in a series that begins with Ringo.

24. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

The California albums?

25. Jon-A

Jon-A Forum Resident

I'm listening to a playlist that alternates the JL/POB and YO/POB tracks in Double Fantasy style. Pretty cool. I suppose a release like that would be a bit much for the anti-Ono-ists. But I would like to see a nice little gatefold cardboard 2cd set of both JL/POB & YO/POB with original artwork on either side and the cute childhood pic's facing on the inside. And any available outtakes from the Oct.'70 session that produced most of YO/POB. There are a couple tunes on boots that definitely sound like they came from that productive session.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.