Are there plans for 50th Anniversary John Lennon / Plastic Ono Band? What should be on it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lynd8, Oct 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

It's the best solo album by John. The last time I felt I really saw this incredible artist working at the top of his game.
    In retrospect all the Beatles did their best solo work by 1973.

2. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

This is what I think, too. In essences it was the end of the 60s.

blivet likes this.
  3. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Power To The People and Do The Oz were bonus tracks on the 2000 reissue of Plastic Ono Band, but both of those tracks were included in the Imagine box in 2018. Interesting.

4. Car

Car Forum Resident

I agree entirely. I’ve tried, and have many Lennon and Harrison albums on both vinyl and cd (some on both!), McCartney is a good album, the rest not, and I can’t bare listen to any Ringo stuff... apologies...

Somerset Scholar and hodgo like this.
  5. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

BluRay surround would be fantastic.

The Imagine box was excellent.

6. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Power To The People was recorded in February at Ascot, along with Well Baby Please Don't Go, early versions of I Don't Wanna Be A Soldier, and It's So Hard. It falls right into the "Imagine" era. I believe Yoko chose not to put it on Imagine in 2000 in the interest of purposefully keeping that album bonus track free.

7. old school

old school Senior Member

That’s a good fix. When I said plain I meant Ringo was not flashy just great drumming with cool fills and a great sound recorded well.

supermd likes this.
  8. LeifFan

LeifFan Forum Resident

Not sure about POB in surround. Many songs are bass, drums and one guitar. Not much you can do with that.

9. cyril sneer

cyril sneer Forum Resident

Agreed. I've always felt he lost interest in music around 1971 and that he recognised his loss of interest hence he took the five year break.

DK Pete likes this.
  10. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

On the contrary! Even one voice and a guitar can sound excellent in surround (Another Side of Bob Dylan). Also with no "demixing" required, presumably, the sound would be more pure.

11. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Im glad to see people are also taking about YO/POB which, to me is what people wouldn’t expect from Ringo in the sense that it’s so much more...not so much flashy, but manic. He certainly plays to suit the song.

You’re spot on with your assessment of his JL/POB drumming, and having The Beatles as my first exposure to rock, set the bar for what I believe good drumming should be.

Chris Bernhardt and old school like this.
  12. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

If we take the best of that period, we could have gotten 3 more albums of supreme quality.

13. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Agreed, all material from McCartney, Ram, ATMP and some of Imagine were written when they were all together...
    POB is such a personal album that with the expectation of Instant Karma and possibly Love would not work on a Beatles album

14. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Hold On
    Remember
    Love
    Look At Me

All would have worked on the White Album, Abbey Road, or the theoretical album thereafter.

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  15. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Yeah, they say love is blind, but apparently it can be deaf too ;)

16. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Yup, the folks that think Yoko is laughable...we just don’t “get it”...

17. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Not that anyone needs to care about my little experience on this matter, but the Imagine re-issue somewhat damaged my esteem for Mr Lennon's artistic inspiration and powers of musical and verbal invention. Anything a POB re-issue could do to repair the damage would get my grateful dollar!

18. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I'd love to hear why you felt that!

Rob Hughes and TheOrangeApple like this.
  19. Jon-A

Jon-A Forum Resident

Yeah, you might just be on to something there. After all, there were two Yoko masterpieces (YO/POB & Fly). John, Paul and George could only manage one apiece.

:hide:

20. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Named in honor of...
    [​IMG]

21. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I suggest we consider using exposure to this video as a possible cure for the virus!!!!

slowhand1964 likes this.
  22. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Imagine always a good album, but somewhat overrated.
    Jealous Guy, Truth and Oh My Love permitting nothing on the record comes to quality and angst of POB. I even prefer Mind Games and Walls over it.

paustin0816 likes this.
  23. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

John put a lot of his more experimental side into Yoko's songs starting in 1971, and started keeping his personal stuff more commercial. As much as he liked to say otherwise in interviews, I do think solo John wanted some hits.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  24. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

Actually, the "sandwhich" comment was for the April-July original releases (RSD+LIB+FP) but all changed: RSD now for June, LIB until the end of the year it seems, and now doubts about FP due to the virus.
    There is no confirmation for many release dates or even if we will get them on sale this year, I think the record company will have to wait for a better scenario in June/July and decide what to do:
    My timeline (not official please take note) if all is under control by the end of April:
    June: RSD releases
    July/August or until 2021: FP
    Sept: Get Back in Cinemas
    Oct: POB 50th + Get Back new book + DVD/Blu Ray standalone releases
    Nov: ATMP 50th + RSD releases
    Early Dec: LIB 50TH (without 'Get Back' new movie but with the original version plus CDs)

25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I really hope a Plastic Ono Band box set is coming up soon.
    Besides the music (outtakes, etc.) I'd like to see actual photos from the recording sessions (I hope someone took pictures then).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.