Are ya' satisfied or still on the hunt?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by csgreene, Dec 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melvin

Melvin Forum Resident

Seems every time I say "done" it's really more like "done for now" so I hesitate. For me it's simple curiosity (i.e., class A/AB/D, tubes/solid state, single-driver/2-way/3-way/subs, etc.). Said curiosity has led me down the rabbit hole more than I care to admit sometimes but I've learned a lot along the way, particularly regarding system synergy and my own taste. I now have enough gear in storage for several systems so, when boredom or just the desire for change strikes, I can swap components and speakers to my hearts content.

2. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

If something cheap and 2nd hand comes along in the next years that might be of 'upgrade importance' to me (like an A21 amp instead of my A23), I might try it out but I really don't feel the need to buy anything new.

3. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've never been interested in tubes past some old Fender amps because tubes distort and make for sweet guitar sounds. As to hi-fi gear, tube amps look uber cool but I prefer the ease of solid state. I'm into this to listen to music and simply want a system to sound pleasing to my ears. I love listening to and looking the high zoot systems if someone else builds and maintain them but I'm not interested in building and owning one myself. I don't have the interest, time, or money to get into a serious audiophile system.

But once I've found the set-up, as long as it pleases my ears, I'm done unless something breaks. A recent example where I swapped speakers is a newly created system in my library where I also added a small TV. I acutally added the system because I can't stand listening to TV speakers and soundbars are anathema to me. Anyway, it was cobbled together with a cheap Sony AV receiver I bought at Costco some years ago for our new second home. It never really was used although it was hooked up. I ended up putting a dedicated 2 channel system there. But I digress... So I brought that Sony AV receiver here and hooked up the TV (I also stream music via the Roku) and added two spare, long unused Minimus 7 speakers that I've had since the 80's and used to sit in the rear deck of a sports car I owned as added speakers. I immediately was not happy with them in this system and saw Amazon was practically giving away NHT Super Zero speakers, a speaker I'm familiar with and use in a similar situation in a bedroom with a Marantz PM6004. I snagged those for about $125 the pair and the difference was enormous. So in this case, I did chase the demon just a little. ;)

bever70 likes this.
  4. Mad shadows

Mad shadows Forum Resident

Always on the look out :D
    You never knows what comes along on the second hand market.

Ham Sandwich and motorstereo like this.
  5. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Never say "never."

6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I’m pretty satisfied with what I have, but sometimes things that are irresistible just present themselves!

But the core of my system has basically been established.

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  7. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Seeking perfection. Nothing less will do.

yodog likes this.
  8. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

The last link in my digital chain was put into place this weekend with a Nucleus+, so that feels AmAzInG to be done there, finally.

The last link for the analog chain will be an upgrade from my Pro-Ject 1Xpression III to a VPI and just migrate the Ortofon 2M Black cart over at time of purchase. But that will have to wait for a few years, and I am in no hurry considering the infrequency I play my LPs now that my digital chain has been given so much attention this past year and the Pro-Ject isn’t a shabby TT to begin with.

My wife wants a TV upgrade for next year, so I will likely use that time to upgrade the center channel to match my speakers.

Outside of those two non-pressing instances, I am done. It is a fantastic feeling.

9. Grunkle_Chubs

Grunkle_Chubs Active Member

Somewhat. I just posted a thread asking if the 120x is worth it over the 120. All I really need is new speakers and maybe the 120x depending on how much of an improvement it is. Besides that, I'm good.

10. aphexacid

aphexacid It’s not Hip Hop, it’s Electro.

I found a wonderful SL1200 MK5 earlier this year, and up until a couple weeks ago, I was using the AT95e. I wanted to try something new, so I bought a vm540ml.

The only other thing id upgrade anytime soon is a preamp. I’m currently using the one in my Kyocera R-461. And I love it for the sound signature it has. But I just wish I could squeeze some more volume out of it.

The “CD” input is so much louder, I’m hoping that if I add a preamp and use the CD input, I’ll get what I want.

And if not, Integrated Amp here I come!

11. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Starting to research Streamer/DAC combinations.

My main system is used solely for physical media.

12. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

I've realized over the past few months that I'm essentially where I want to be. I think I have the core gear that I want to keep for many years. At this point I'm most focused on tweaking room acoustics, getting an ultrasonic record cleaner, and buying more vinyl. I can't imagine doing more than swapping on some tubes or trying a new cart over the next year or so. It's actually a nice feeling to be able to just settle into music immersion.

Kristofa and timind like this.
  13. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Content but always have an eye out for improvements...not obsessing or gear lusting for anything in particular. Where was this self-control when I needed it 40 years ago with guitar gear?

Mike-48, Humbuster and Sterling1 like this.
  14. Martin Takamine

Martin Takamine Forum Resident

For now just listening to the music but if I get hungry then it's time to hunt.

15. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Done for now, as I'm retired and cash flow is modest. I may be forced back into the hifi marketplace if my CD player dies ...

I love my Naim/Chartwell system, though. It's pretty accurate, with great clarity and a view deep into the recording.

Clay B likes this.
  16. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Thinking about changing from your Transparents or upgrading through their line?

mreeter likes this.
  17. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident Thread Starter

Buddy, I feel you. I've run a Fender guitar forum for 22 years although I'm retiring at the end of this year. Over these past two decades, I went from a single Strat and tweed Pro Jr. and Yamaha acoustic to something like 14 Strats, Teles, and a Gibson and Reverend for good measure. Oh, and two Martin dreads. And then there are the amps...

Fender Relic likes this.
  18. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Very close, one more pair of I/C's and maybe some new Speakers in future.

19. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

Lordy. We've got plans in the works for a massive redesign of a property in the village of my birth (starting construction in the spring) and that will necessitate reconfiguring my gear--likely different lengths of ICs, speaker cable, and so on. I'm hoping there's money left over for mono blocks in the new configuration. The property is at the very end of the powerlines in that area and I've been wanting to replace my power conditioning with a PS Audio P20 so it seems like the time to do it.

I'd also like to get one of those Sweet Vinyl Sugarcube things but I'd need to buy a separate phono preamp and a new line preamp. Wouldn't mind upgrading my TT and cart. The money only goes so far.

Fender Relic likes this.
  20. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I'm not a cable person. In fact a sceptic but experience is you will hear differences but better sound is not necessarily related to price. Some cables positively alter sound for the worse while the best ones you don't 'hear'.

bluesky likes this.
  21. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I'm reasonably satisfied. As evidenced by my self control to not buy anything new this year. Well, other than some tubes to try rolling in one of my amps and new tubes for another amp and a dongle for my phone. But that self control will not last. Twice this year I talked myself out of buying two different LCD-4 headphones. When the same situation happens next year or the next that self control will fail. Plus I want to get a good record player. And I'm always looking for a better/different DAC. And I do want to get a full tube headphone amp. But for this year I was satisfied with that I've got.

Confession time: the only reason I didn't buy yet another new headphone amp this year is because the Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Gold headphone amp got delayed. It was due to be released this month but has been delayed until February next year.

I'll always be on the hunt.

22. wolfyboy3

wolfyboy3 99 Red Balloons Go By...

Not satisfied. I want new speakers and amp. Speakers are too bright and I want to try tubes. I am fairly happy with the sources I have.

23. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Good enough is good enough.

The quest for sonic perfection has encountered the obstacle of declining hearing.

Financial priorities are a distant second.

24. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

:hugs: I've managed to thin the herd in electrics but amps...:help:...and acoustic guitars....:help::help:. I have a much loved/worked on late 30's black Gibson L-00 that will hurt to part with but it's time. :sigh:

Here's a video (not me or mine) of one that looks and sounds like mine. Nice playing young fella!

Ontheone likes this.
  25. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

I've lusted after a 30s L-00 for years. I bought a new Huss & Dalton 00 instead about 7 years ago, which was modeled after the Gibson. Still there is a certain element of the vintage instrument that can't be fully reproduced even in a quality new instrument.

Humbuster and Fender Relic like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.