Are you a..fullAudiophile/halfAudiophile/NonAudiophile?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pinkrudy, Jan 26, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member Thread Starter

So you see the term audiophile a lot. For a long time ive called myself an audiophile...but i'm thinking that i am only half of one.

there are 2 components to being an audiophile imo...
    1. you seek the best sounding pressings of the albums you like. even if you have to pay up for it. whether it be CD or vinyl.
    2. you spend lots of money on gear and constantly doing tweaks and buying more gear.

I definitely do #1. i spend tons of money getting MFSL 1 steps, analogue productions,speakers corner etc...

However i realized i dont do #2. i havnt bought a new component in 10 years. my amp/reciever/turntable/speakers i bought before 2010...
    I dont really get the need to buy gear because i mess around with the built in eq of my reciever and also have about 5 different turntable mats (cork/rubber/felt/acrylic) that change the sound as well.

so i am only a half audiophile.

a nonaudiophile will be someone that buys records and doesnt care if its an mfsl/speakers corner etc... or if its considered the best sounding version. they just buy for the music. getting 1st pressings is cool because of how rare and collectable they are. however you don't care if it "sounds" the best necessarily.

You also dont waste tons of money constantly on gear/tweaks. you have a modest system and are fine with it.

Orion24, Timos, Crimson Witch and 3 others like this.
  2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Half.
    If I were full I'd missing out on a ton of great music :)

3. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

I am a 'music enthusiast'.

I have built a fine setup (turntables, recievers, speakers, CD/SACD) and collection (LP/CD) from thrift/used finds over the years.
    I dont mind a lower quality copy to start with but always on the lookout for a cheap upgrade.

I have learned a lot from this forum!

I voted 'non-audiophile'

4. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Totally non.
    Can't even remember from one day to the next what make my amp is.

5. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Halfsies , am 1.

pinkrudy likes this.
  6. Manalishi

Manalishi With the 2-pronged crown

Probably non-audiophile but this forum has taught me to be cognizant of and appreciate the best sounding pressing of any given recording. 'Appreciate' is the best I can do as any sonic upgrades are lost on me because my hearing is shot.

7. Fitter Stoke

Fitter Stoke You don't suspect my life's a mess...

In terms of my system, then yes: 1 applies; I’ve spent a lot of money over the years buying the best kit I could afford. In terms of seeking out ultimate album pressings etc, 1 to 2 is nearer the mark for me. If I enjoying the music I rarely think about it sounding better elsewhere.

pinkrudy likes this.
  8. zither

zither Forum Resident

Half. Finances preclude me from going down #2 path.

9. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I wish I could afford all I want (good amp, 5.1, a 2k turntable….but until then I will keep listening to as much music as possible on the stuff I have.

zither likes this.
  10. Yoss

Yoss Active Member

Well dang, I thought I loved audio, but by those criteria I guess I miss the mark!

carrick doone likes this.
  11. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

"You never go full audiophile!!"

-- from Tropic Subwoofer

12. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yep. And Rocks is still one of the best albums of the 70’s by any band.

Brian x and jeffd7030 like this.
  13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

"When it's convenient" would have been my choice. I've got too much music to listen to, and plenty of the right equipment to risk the nest egg for a "more transparent resolve", or whatever the reviewers are calling it these days.

pinkrudy likes this.
  14. I consider myself an audiophile because I like sound.

Audio = sound
    Phile = one who likes

I have to assume everyone here is an audiophile or else why would they be here?

Don't confuse me with facts. My mind is made up. :nyah:

15. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

As I've stated more than once, I consider myself a former-audiophile on a determined and deliberate journey to being a non-audiophile. I'm here for the music, and while I want the very best reproduction I can get, I am willing to accept - and enjoy - things audiophiles will turn their nose up at. That applies to both equipment and music.

My journey is my own, and I've nothing against any group. I simply found I loved the music less when I was on my audiophile trip.

I do wish I'd kept my Linn LP12 which I bought new in the mid 1980's though. Oh well.

16. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

I'm more non. I have tried to get the best sounding CDs of certain albums as I no longer purchase vinyl, but I haven't updated my equipment in many, many years. Still sounding good to my ears.

pinkrudy and c-eling like this.
  17. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

Went with half here as well. I am 110% committed to getting the best possible masterings/pressings and won't hesitate to throw money at the problem if it is warranted - but my gear is reliable, stable but rather pedestrian compared to others I know.

I USED to be a fanatic about this tube and that cartridge and then realized that I spent more time dicking around with the gear than listening to the music.

Cheers!

VP

18. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I'd say you're half. Much easier on the wallet chasing after good mastering's than equipment chasing poor one's.

Kristofa and Maseman66 like this.
  19. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Non-audiophile.
    In my twenties I started heading down that road, and it was ruining my love of music.
    I like great sounding recordings, but it's more important to me to enjoy the songs and albums.

20. TS582

TS582 Forum Resident

I voted Non but I’m not quite as Non as you defined it.

pinkrudy likes this.
  21. Simoon

Simoon Forum Resident

I don't think I fit either of your categories.

I consider myself an audiophile, but I don't constantly tweak and buy new gear.

There seems to be a false stereotype of audiophiles, that we care more about the gear, than the music. While there might be some audiophiles that are like that, I don't believe it is anywhere near the majority.

The vast majority of time, I ignore my gear, and just listen to the music. I guess that would describe me as a 'music first audiophile'.

But that does not mean, that an hour or 2 a week, or a few times per month, I may not also be able to have a whole lot of fun, just paying attention to the gear, doing the tweaks, evaluating new gear. And I will even listen to mostly approved audiophile recordings during these sessions.

I won't let anyone label me based on a false stereotype, and a false dichotomy, of what an audiophile is.

Alan Parsons* was wrong, when he said "“Audiophiles don't use their equipment to listen to music. Audiophiles use your music to listen to their equipment”.

*I met him at my fiend's house several times. Great guy, and I respect him as a musician and producer. I told him I thought he was wrong.

22. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

Ok, I'll accept that opinion.

23. Keam

Keam Isn't it funny how the rain gets in?

None but not quite? I have a modest system and am fine with it as it fits my current living situation.

However, I have multiple pressings. I do think a bit before I buy a copy sometimes, thinking over if there might be an auditory gain. I am also excited to hear if there is an audio diffrences when I do end up buying different pressings, even if that wasn't the main motivation (I'm big on sleeve design changes like colour variations and alternative designs!).

pinkrudy likes this.
  24. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Audiophile. I’m only interested in perfect accurate sound reproduction.

ashiya and pinkrudy like this.
  25. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I appreciate good sound, but i'm not bonkers about it. I guess i consider myself a non-audiophile.

audiodefiled, Keam and OptimisticGoat like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.