Are you a..fullAudiophile/halfAudiophile/NonAudiophile?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pinkrudy, Jan 26, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

I do spend a sizable sum on my system, though these days it is mostly repairs/replacements to keep older gear running. I don’t bother with tweaks anymore as I think they’re either nonsense or unsubstantial. Room treatments excepted, but I don’t consider them tweaks. If a hirez version of a recording is available I will hunt it down, beyond that I tend to not get hung up on which is the ‘best’ release. I don’t do LPS anymore so that’s got to be an audiophile demerit.

Seems like demi-audiophile.

pinkrudy likes this.
  2. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

3/4

The music takes precedence, but bad mastering lessens the pleasure while audiophile wonders make listening orgasmic (or somewhere close).

pinkrudy likes this.
  3. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Non-audiophile. I'm really into lo-fi these days. I would rather listen to music I like that was recorded and played back on a $20.00 cassette machine than music I dislike recorded digitally in a state of the art studio and played back on the latest and greatest and most expensive equipment.

pinkrudy likes this.
  4. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

By the definition in the initial post I’m half an audiophile. Gear exists to serve the music.

GarySteel likes this.
  5. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

Non-Audiophile. I don't have a vinyl rig or any vinyl. I'm surprised I haven't been booted off the forum.

6. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Non-Audiophile I just want good sound

pinkrudy likes this.
  7. 905

905 Senior Member

Non, I don't have the ears or the good equipment. But I can still tell when CDs are too loud, or there's no noise.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  8. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Music lover / Music collector / No EAC loaded / No DR Loudness plug-in on computer / No turntable hooked-up.
    So I voted NON.

9. Funeral At The Movies

Funeral At The Movies Froum Reisdnet

I'm not here because I'm an audiophile. I'm here because I like rock music.

10. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I voted no. I have a decent setup in my living room but my preferred method of listening to music is a Sony walkman that plays FLACs with decent headphones strolling along Dublin beach. Paradise for me.

11. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

I've never equated "audiophile" with only expensive gear or a rare pressing. For me, those who are passionate about music and are willing to do simple things such as play around with speaker positions to achieve a more realistic sound thats being reproduced, that's an audiophile. If you ever tried the classic green Sharpie thing, you're an audiophile. You just want the music you love to sound it's best regardless of your bank account.

12. Josep Fernandez

Josep Fernandez Forum Resident

Half Audiophile: Audiophile with limited budget

RomanBlade likes this.
  13. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

By definitions in the OP, I’m only half audiophile. I have a decent setup, but stopped tinkering with it once I knew that bettering it would cost more than I wanted to pay. Now I only buy new stuff when something breaks down. And most of the time I replace it with something very similar (same type, same brand, etc).

When it comes down to music, I’m always trying to find the best sounding version. Preferably on CD, but since I bought a vintage Thorens, vinyl is a viable option too.

14. wes4usc

wes4usc Forum Resident

I voted for 1/2 audiophile, but I think 3/4 would be more accurate. Because I do the record thing but was satisfied with my gear for decades, until the pandemic hit and in 2020 I went on sort of a buying spree ("I'm not spending it on anything else.") and upgraded - new TT/arm/cartridge, new preamp, new tweaks - all new cable, butcher block equipment rack, power conditioner, isolation platforms / feet / etc. BUT now that I did all that, I probably with stand pat for awhile.

15. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

I'm not clear how "audiophile" gets positioned vs "music lover." To me it's one and the same, love music so want to hear it at its best.

Tim

mikeyt likes this.
  16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Half-audiophile

steveharris likes this.
  17. wes4usc

wes4usc Forum Resident

That's you and me, too.

But I have known guys who were always spending big money on equipment but only had a minimal record collection and would only listen to the same cuts on a few albums. They weren't really into music that much and just liked the equipment.
    I think that was more common years ago when times were different and it was considered a "cool" thing to have a big stereo rig.

18. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

A harmless pursuit. But that's some twisted definition of "audiophile"!

Tim

19. lord K

lord K Forum Resident

half audiophile...but I'll get the oher half as soon as I have more money ;)

20. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

Non-audiophile here, though I physically play a number of instruments, appreciate good music in many genres, can tell if something is distorted and have looked after my ears despite playing loud rock music (mostly on drums) for many years.
    I mostly buy used stuff but will spend the money when the album is a favourite, such as the recent Helen Merrill album reissue - that is one of those rare records (for me) where I love every song, every arrangement, the artwork, the musicians - you name it.
    I can enjoy music without needing to hear it reproduced in the best quality available, which I can't afford, though if I somehow inherit some cash, this may change.
    I'm a musicphile (P & C trademark aussievinyl).

21. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

I always try to get the best sounding mastering of an album and I try to get good sounding but not too expensive gear.
    However I'm not into "high end" audio because personally I'm not even sure if I can always hear the difference between a 320 kps mp3 and an SACD.

So I voted"half audiophile".

22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I suppose I'm between a "half" & "Non", only because befoe I buy a CD, I'll check SH Forums for clues in case certain editions are said to be better sounding than others. However I don't have a fancy system.

23. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I am a lover of sound, and have sought out the best sounding versions of albums on Vinyl, CD & Download, but it's also not my be-all and end-all. I have some mediocre sounding albums that this is the only option for - or the only one that wouldn't cost me the earth. Likewise, I have started upgrading my gear over the last year or so, but only within my budget - my amp certainly wouldn't be classified as anywhere near audiophile. I want to be there, and maybe one day I will be - but my pleasure comes first.

24. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

Half!
    I really like it when I listen to a fantastic sounding record on great equipment, but the music is more important to me;)

25. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I have a
    Me too!I care about best sound and all.I have not upgraded my gear in years.I enjoy audience recordings and plain music.

Michael likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.