Are you on discogs? what's the collection worth?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by phish, Sep 28, 2011.

1. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

I'm about 100 miles inland but those dang hurricanes still hit us hard. If you look at a map of the eastern US you'll see NC juts out into the Atlantic. If the hurricane shifts north and misses Florida it tends to stay out in the ocean building force and slams into us. Inland it often isn't the wind but the rain that gets you. Even high ground can flood when the drainage system is overwhelmed. Mother Nature can be a real bitch.

2. Ken Dryden

Ken Dryden Forum Resident

I haven’t lived in Florida in decades and live on a sustantial hill with terrific drainage, so flooding in our neighborhood is next to impossible. The bigger worry is a tornado, as our county has been hit with several over the past quarter century. The last one in 2020 missed us by a few miles although there was considerable destruction and a few deaths in the storm path.

In any case, homes and their contents should be insured and Discogs is a valuable tool for itemizing a substantial music collection. Of course, I hope to never have to file a claim, as the adjuster would be overwhelmed with work.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Yes filing a claim for flood now!

4. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Dang, sorry to hear that. I hope the loss wasn't too extensive.

All Down The Line likes this.
  5. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

[​IMG]
    No vinyl but almost all basement furniture though trying to recover some moldy items from having to dump such as this custom LP stand!

black sheriff, beatnik and lazydawg58 like this.
  6. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Yeah, probably. Discogs prices are close to the maximum you could expect to get for any given title, if you were selling it individually to a collector. There's no reason to think that bulk buyers would come anywhere close to those prices, which are basically what they might hope to sell them for.

All Down The Line and lazydawg58 like this.
  7. Ken Dryden

Ken Dryden Forum Resident

Bulk buyers have to take into account how long it will take to sell some of the collection, their overhead, etc. One has to go through a collection before selling it bulk, as there are bound to be a few gems that will sell for a premium price. Many bulk buyers will give a price per disc without allowances for rarer items mixed in with the common stuff.

All Down The Line and uzn007 like this.
  8. beatnik

beatnik Forum Resident

Collection Value:*
    Min $41,846.46 Med $80,651.94 Max $136,400.51

1,605 items as of today. Approximately 90% are M/M- records (a few years ago, I ripped most of my CD collection to a server/streamer, then traded in the discs for store credit toward, well, you know). I’ll be searching this and other threads about insuring my collection, a step long overdue.

As for determining value, Discogs is a Godsend. In the early 80s and unbeknownst to me, a water pipe leak in my basement repeatedly doused 7/8 of my records. By the time I discovered them, they were unrecoverable with the cleaning products available at the time (imagine paper sleeves practically epoxied to the vinyl). Dealing with my insurance company was a nightmare, and I came away with a claim payout that was a pittance of my true loss.

black sheriff likes this.
  9. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

Minimum £184,185.39, Median £287,733.85, Maximum £456,094.59.

ted321, beatnik, SJP and 1 other person like this.
  10. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

My last collection value post was on January 6th 2022. ^^^

I've added about 200 titles since January.

Collection Value:*
    Min $92,777.07 Med $191,416.17 Max $410,434.96

11. uzn007

Interesting that the minimum value dropped. My impression is that Discogs has been getting more expensive but maybe people are starting to dump some titles for cheap.

12. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

I haven’t finished inputting all of my CDs yet, but, currently:
    $31,541 min
    $70,974 med
    $146,162 max

13. uzn007

April 2021:

Today:
    Min $20,773.90 Med $38,637.90 Max $79,157.74
    Went from ~2100 items to ~2500 items.

14. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

About half my collection is CD. The drop in min could be a reflection of lower CD sales. Not sure.

15. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

There are a decent amount of minimums which are based on sellers who sell incomplete items. Those should be subject to a specific designation that doesn't count towards the value of the item.

16. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Great example of this ?
    How about only the damaged seam-split jacket ( no records ) of the AP Jethro Tull "Stand Up" that sold for one penny !?!?!?

Also, the maximum is just as useless when somebody pays $158.00 for "Stand Up" when it's never had the chance to neither run out at AS nor go OOP at $65.00 !!!!!!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
    SJP likes this.
  17. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

The one that recently comes to mind is someone selling the defective blu ray from the Elton John "Madman..." deluxe set for $14.99 which in and of itself isn't a bad value for a very minor defect but it shouldn't suggest that the entire set can be had for that price. Once it sells, it will suggest exactly that.

Myke likes this.
  18. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I figure as long as I know those figures are 100% useless, and the heir to my collection, my son also knows ( his collection is kept there also ) we're covered here in this home.

We both also know too that while you may sell an album to someone for $1000.00 today, records are still not an investment you can depend on.

19. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I suspect values from past sales also fluctuate due to changes in currency valuations against one another, since it’s a worldwide market.

uzn007 and black sheriff like this.
  20. uzn007

That's a good point. They should be using historical exchange rates to convert the currencies on old transactions (e.g. how many dollars was a pound worth on the day the transaction happened), but I'd guess that they probably aren't.

21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I didn't think of that. I guess that is possible, too.

22. Don Mendez

Don Mendez Well-Known Member

I have 75 per cent of my vinyl logged on my discogs account. Value? A lot. But I also use it for homeowners insurance in case (God forbid) my house burns down and the adjuster says that big blob of plastic is worth HOW much?

All Down The Line and Dave like this.
  23. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

I do the same and I also use it for checking if I already have certain pressings or albums when at the record store shopping. Seems discog values move a lot so I don’t pay much stock in that but insurance company wanted the collection to be catalogued and accepted Discogs source so I keep it updated as best I can. Insurance is rather costly at $1100 per year but the peace of mind is worth it.

24. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

I've got about a quarter of my CD collection cataloged. The numbers are:
    Min $8,690.43
    Med $16,398.65
    Max $31,277.02

My collection is divided into three, only two of which are inputted. I scan them as I rip them so all the new stuff is included. When I combine them I will start adding the rest. I'm not under any illusions those numbers are what my collection would bring in if I were selling it. Nothing is for sale though. :)

25. Collection Value:* Min CA$25,446.16 Med CA$52,887.32 Max CA$119,779.75

That's approx 3,000 LP's

Note: If you sort by value, try sorting by lowest value. I have over a hundred LP's that have $0 value only because there's not enough sales history to set a baseline.