Are you satisfied with The Beatles Red and Blue compilations?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

To me, they are classic albums, so it came a big surprise to me when Apple released Beatles 1. I understand it's easier for the casual fan to get into them with 1 disc, but really???

Now asking if I'd do anything different, the obvious answer is, there are still too many songs that need a 3rd double album. I created such an album called 1962-1970 in my iTunes.

2. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I didn't have these until the Nineties when they were issued on CD... but I love 'em.

3. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Drop Love Me Do for I Saw Her Standing There
    Add This Boy
    Drop Drive My Car for She's A Woman
    Add Rain

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Drop Love Me Do?! Are you crazy?! :)

zen, pwhytey, 905 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Tell me this, which song do you feel is better, Love Me Do or I Saw Her Standing There?

6. PaulKTF

I like them both. I can't pick one over the other.

I certainly agree with adding ISHST, but not at the expense of losing LMD.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  7. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I think they should have added a couple of covers, a couple of Harrison songs, and a couple of Revolver tracks to Red in the cd era.

8. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Since Rain is a contender for my favorite Beatles song (most days I think it is), its absence is the most obvious thing I would change.

Earlier on I think both Do You Want to Know a Secret and I Saw Her Standing There belonged. I'd even consider Thank You Girl and No Reply as well. If I had to take any off the red album it would be Yellow Submarine and Girl.

Adding Rain is a must, though, for me.

On blue I could do without Obla di, Octopus's Garden, Don't Let me Down, John and Yoko, Old Brown Shoe. I'd add Good Morning, Good Morning for sure. I could also start it off with a couple from Revolver, like She Said She Said, Tomorrow Never Knows or Love You To. In fact Rain could have started this one instead of being near the end of the red one. Maybe Birthday. If need be I could dump Fool on the Hill, too.

Lee Davis likes this.
  9. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

ya know it would have been a smart move to expand the Red and Blue compilations to two full-length CDs each when they were issued on CD. Include everything on the vinyl releases and supplement with other tracks.

10. PaulKTF

Yes! I wish they would have done this, too. Fill each of the four CDs with 78 minutes of Beatles!

11. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I love the Blue album, adore it even, not so impressed with the Red album, too short, bet i'm not the first to say that. Originality is not to be found in this post ;)

12. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The Red album is a rip-off on CD. The Blue CD is fine as-is.

13. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

They need to be updated.

14. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

I've read before that the original plan for the Blue album was to include solo hits as well. I'm not sure I would agree with mixing Beatles songs with solo songs, but it's interesting to think that it was contemplated at the very least.

15. PaulKTF

Why would they include solo songs on a Beatles compilation?

16. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

This is from the Wikipedia article, not sure how reliable it is: "Songs performed by the Beatles as solo artists were also considered for inclusion, but like the cover songs on 1962–1966, limited space resulted in this idea having to be abandoned."

17. PaulKTF

Anyone can edit Wikipedia, and it still doesn't make sense.

18. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I think they are fine as is; they cover a lot of ground and are pretty comprehensive for their purpose. That said, I don't own a copy of either, although I was briefly tempted when they were reissued a few years ago.

19. teag

teag Forum Resident

Rain and I Should Have Known Better should have been on the Red album. Other than that its perfect as a representation of their best and greatest for the early years.

Take Obla Di, Hello Goodbye and Octopus Garden off the Blue and it would improve things for that one.

20. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I want to say part of the decision behind lashing together the Red and Blue albums in the first place was to compete with that b--tleg Alpha Omega (or whatever it was called) compilation that came out that did include a handful of solo goodies alongside the Beatles' tracks.

nikh33 likes this.
  21. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

The blue comp is fine (well, maybe something from the white album by John??!) , but on the red there is room for and need of I Saw Her Standing There, Twist and Shout, It Won't Be Long, I Should Have Known Better, Long Tall Sally, No Reply, I've Just Seen a Face, She Said She Said, Taxman and Here There and Everywhere. And more.

Shaker Steve and Big Pasi like this.
  22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Red/Blue comps will be the first to get the SACD treatment,

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  23. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I've always thought they were both great 'samplers' - yes, The Red Album is a bit short and the Blue album a bit long, but they were (and still are) a perfect introduction to the band. You can't please everybody I guess but I personally think they are perfect as they are - they were MY introduction to them, I got the Blue album first on LP for my 7th birthday, having been given a portable record player for my 6th birthday, and for my 9th birthday I was given a radio cassette player, along with a 'double-play' cassette of the Red Album. Those copies have since been added to with countless others over the years in various formats from 8-Track tape to CD!

JeffMo likes this.
  24. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

They should, now that those 2 LPs have been re-released in AAA!

alexpop likes this.
  25. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

I understand the inclusion of "Octopus's Garden" since it was a Ringo song.

However, I can't understand the omission of "Blackbird" on the Blue album. "Old Brown Shoe" seems like an odd inclusion.

On the Red album, which are a bit short, they could have stretched out a little with the inlusion of a few more "Revolver" tracks. I would have included "Here There And Everywhere", "Got To Get You Into My Life" and "Taxman".
    Another odd inclusion: "Girl"? Strange one to include at the expense of missing "Revolver" tracks.