Are you satisfied with your system or feel you “need” to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Khorn, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

Forgive me for being a little skeptical on that one. ;)

timind, bever70, Tim 2 and 5 others like this.
  2. Earthbound2

Earthbound2 Forum Resident

The nice thing about the Audio Notes is the fact that they were designed to be put in corners and out of the way. Mine are in my living room so I needed to live as well as enjoy music. Are they perfect, no. Are they awesome, yes.

timind, mreeter and jonwoody like this.
  3. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

You call your dealer? ;)

timind, bever70, Glmoneydawg and 4 others like this.
  4. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

Yup. This is me to a tee. I have a system most would kill for and while I am satisfied right now, and have been with previous killer systems, I always want to know what the other DAC sounds like, or is that tube amp better than my current rig? You name it....I went through a dozen decent to very high end phono stages in just over a year! Oh and let's not forget the wormhole of speakers. That one sucks me in quite often. In the last month alone I have ordered B&w 607S2, then the 706S3 and now just today the 706S2. Also considering selling the Joseph Audios and trying some Harbeths or Heresy speakers because....well you know.....I read a thread on here and that is the latest flavor of crack being offered.

IT IS A SICKNESS. I work a part time job just to support this hobby. Nothing else in my life affects me like audio gear. It has gotten well past the music. I now play music that sounds best on my system not that I necessary love. In a sense it is good because it has introduced me to new artists and music.

timind, bever70, Khorn and 5 others like this.
  5. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I'm sorry @avanti1960, but these guys got your number :winkgrin:

timind, jonwoody, Glmoneydawg and 4 others like this.
  6. SCM

SCM Senior Member

I love my Revel F52`s and have for a few years.
    I bet they could hold their own going up against current $7-10k speakers out there.
    But I`m wanting to add different flavor of speaker now.

I listened to a pair of Sonus Faber Olympica Nova V`s this past fall and I`m absolutely smitten ! ( Unfortunately they are $18K and I`m not going to go that high).
    To me the Nova V`s sounded more musical than the Magico A5 that I listened to also.

I have 4 subs so I`m thinking that I might be able get a nice slice of that Nova V sound by going with either a stand mount Nova 1 or
    the Olympica Nova II floor stander.

Harbeth 30.2 XD could be a contender too but I haven`t heard them.

timind, jonwoody and Tim 2 like this.
  7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I get that. I like buying good old used gear for other systems. I have learned to control the urge to keep buying some sweet old amps and preamps.

jonwoody and Tim 2 like this.
  8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I know. Wilson Audio has a generous trade up policy which makes it difficult to resist.

9. Earthbound2

Earthbound2 Forum Resident

PS Audio as well. I have a power conditioner, which they will credit towards their new dac. Very tempted

10. HIRES_FAN

HIRES_FAN Forum Resident

missan, timind, Khorn and 2 others like this.
  11. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

" SICKNESS ". I like to think of it as an enjoyable passion.

12. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I did purchase new speakers and new power cords. Good upgrades all around.

I recently purchased a Singxer SU-6 to sit between the PC (big source of music) and my two DACs.

The last thing that really needs attention might be my cartridges.

jonwoody, Khorn and Tim 2 like this.
  13. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

I think I’m where I want to be system wise. I really can’t see any rationale reason for wanting anything “more” as far as musical reproduction is concerned.
    I would really like to discover some new enjoyable music. When it comes to equipment how much do we actually really need to enjoy music?

The Pinhead, Tim 2, Melvin and 3 others like this.
  14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The better the system gets, the various recordings will vary in their positive attributes. Some of my records don't anymore sound as great as others. Some of my old needed drops sound spectacular, and others reveal flaws in the original recordings, or the mix or mastering job with better equipment.

I'm fine with very revealing equipment. Some albums take on more depth and punch with the great reveal. And like I said others sound a bit starchy and colder. Nothing a little analog EQ won't partially fix.

15. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I'm one of them.

16. Ted Torres Jr

Ted Torres Jr Synergistic Maximus

Yes, as stated HERE, I was very satisfied with my audio system upgrades and subsequent home audio nirvana experiences! But, that was last year!?! o_O

A 27% off sale this past Spring and the ever un-tested itch of, "how would a prominent 3-way tower (instead of a 2-way stand monitor) sound in my small dedicated music room" finally got to me. Pulled the trigger on the Ascend Acoustic Sierra V2 RAAL Towers for a 30-day trial. After a solid 24 hour break-in period, realized these music stalwarts weren't going back!! :righton:

Sonic Improvements unveiled themselves in every possible transducer/soundstage presentation category?! As before, I could go on and on with boring details, but suffice to say I believe I have an End-Game Speaker System that well compliments my components, my music genre, my listening room, and my music reproduction goals!!! :uhhuh:

Ted

17. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

In the past 6 months or so I've reached the point where I no longer feel the need to upgrade. It's nice. I feel lucky because the psychology of the hobby and our minds play tricks on us.

jonwoody, timind, Harris11235 and 3 others like this.
  18. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

" 6 months " then, some sort of weird audiophile record I should think.

" no longer feel the need to upgrade " give it a minute. :laugh::laugh:

Tullman, bever70, jonwoody and 3 others like this.
  19. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Wilson is one of those brands that you either like or not.
    Loved my Watt/Puppy-2's back in the day but am at odds with the last bunch of over priced speakers. :shrug:

20. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I'll give you over priced, but it is the price of admission.

Custom paint colors are ridiculously over priced. Still, These aren't factory direct. Dealers need their cut. The overhead at the factory plus cost of employees. Product promotion is expensive too. Shipping heavy speakers in crates costs thousands. Wilson does do a lot of research and development and much of their speaker parts and components are built in house. Wilson has been in business a long time, so they must be doing something right.

Focal, B&W, Magico, Rockport and others are just as expensive and overpriced, too. Kevin Deal had a video touting some big Focal speakers that were listed at $276,000.

jonwoody, Tim 2 and Glmoneydawg like this.
  21. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

When you consider the years/hours of enjoyment provided,they're probably worth every penny.

22. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

As are most higher end speakers, still, there products seem to be overpriced in comparison.

23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I wouldn't say that. I compared the Wilson's to Magico's, Focals, B&Ws in the same price range and I preferred the Wilson's. I think you might have an agenda.

24. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

:laugh:

jonwoody and timind like this.
  25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Here are some pics of my speakers in the polishing stage at the Wilson factory.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GyroT, Ingenieur, Slimwhit33 and 5 others like this.