Are you satisfied with your system or feel you “need” to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Khorn, Mar 4, 2021.

1. lplover

lplover Forum Resident

Final upgrade made in December (turntable). Completely happy with my system now

Khorn likes this.
  2. noway

noway Forum Resident

Don't feel like having to upgrade, but rather to add to the group of things. In this hobby it's always fun to remove something temporarily and replace it with something different. You just need room to store the extra stuff.

DrGoon, Uglyversal, timind and 2 others like this.
  3. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

A lot of people poo poo the idea of a big power ss amp paired up with khorns but I found a 250 wpc ss amp paired with mine was my favorite combo. What "gruntworthy" amp might you be getting for yours?

jusbe and Khorn like this.
  4. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Completely satisfied.

Khorn likes this.
  5. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

This is exactly right. Especially true if you play a lot of records. Making an album you e been listing to for years sound fresh and new is a pretty big deal. A good upgrade or change makes an old Collection sound new again. That’s a big deal if you have a large collection.

jusbe, timind, Nathan Z and 1 other person like this.
  6. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

To be honest, I think my secondary system could use née speakers. I’m just waiting for new amp to see if there is enough improvement for me to further delay that idea. I don’t think I’ll delay, tbh.

Other than that, I’d like new power cables - not because I think it will change much - because I’d like some consistent look to my set ups and I’d like to clean up the mess of different looking power cables.

My secondary system could use new interconnects and digital cables. Right now it is a hodge-podge of cheap cables of varying (too long) lengths.

izeek and Khorn like this.
  7. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

After rolling with the same setup the last three years I just upgraded to a MoFi StudioPhono preamp this past weekend, and currently have a AT-VM95ML cart en route to me. Once I get it all equipped I'll be extremely satisfied.

Khorn likes this.
  8. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Yeah pretty damn satisfied.
    Of course I’m new to the game so I will ‘ play around’ with some gear later on.

For now I’m getting some acoustic treatment ( not much).
    And most importantly to me I’m fixing my condo.
    New paint , new carpet and some new furniture.
    Aesthetics plays a huge role for me in my enjoyment of anything.
    So I want my ‘ hobbit hole’ super comfy, warm and inviting.

my listening enjoyment is 90% affected by my mood. As most of us are.
    even if you have a $1mill system you aren’t going to enjoy it all the time. Just doesn’t work that way.

so I’m excited to fix my living space more.

9. JakeMcD

JakeMcD Forum Resident

This is the kind of thing that gives me pause that I am done.

Khorn likes this.
  10. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

It’s the Alluxity Power One stereo amp. Can’t wait to hear it along with my coming new ModWright LS100 preamp.

motorstereo likes this.
  11. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

thank you, i will add this one to tonights playlist... )

intensemojo, Ingenieur and Khorn like this.
  12. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I decided to add a TT a few years ago, yet rarely use it, so no need here!

Khorn likes this.
  13. Khorn

But a good system is so involving it can override depression and similar things. It can be beneficial medication to some.

14. ultron9

ultron9 The quest for perspicuity and grace continues...

In an age when finding a really good stand alone cd player that's not going to break the bank, I finally got a Cambridge Audio Azur 851C...I had the old 840C years ago but had to sell it due to finances at the time. The new unit will take at least 100 hours to come into its own knowing how it was with previous model. The one thing that's already evident is the huge soundstage this throws and inner detail...looking forward to the months ahead.

timind and Khorn like this.
  15. Khorn

I like Cambridge. I recently gave away my CXU cause of my physical disability but great stuff for the money.

ultron9 likes this.
  16. timind

timind phorum rezident

Imagine how easy it would've been to build your system if you had a time machine.

bluesky likes this.
  17. Emergency Whiskey

Emergency Whiskey Forum Resident

I bet the TARDIS has an unbelievable listening room, if you could ever find it...

izeek, DrGoon, timind and 2 others like this.
  18. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Very true it can. Whatever works for everyone.
    But I find that sometimes makes me chase my tail when I know the ‘ depression’ or whatever is hindering my enjoyment of life and it’s activities is the root cause.

Nathan Z likes this.
  19. Khorn

But you’d better be careful of WHAT you might find in there. Maybe some bad sounding vibes.

Emergency Whiskey likes this.
  20. Emmanuel Zitnik

Emmanuel Zitnik Forum Resident

I'm at a point where if I wanted to upgrade I would need to change all the source components because I believe they are all balanced in terms of quality vs cost ratio. If I wanted to upgrade my phono cartridge, I would need to upgrade my turntable and phono preamp as well. Big bucks there. I would probably start with the Turntable. I don't plan on changing my speakers or my amp, I've had them for years and they keep on delivering the goods, and they're still nicer than all the rest of my chain.

Khorn likes this.
  21. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Completely satisfied with my system:) For my room and my music,i wouldn't want to upset the apple cart.Unfortunately that has me looking at racks and stands to scratch the itch.

Khorn, Ingenieur and Nathan Z like this.
  22. macster

macster Forum Resident

Completely satisfied, will be playing around with interconnects from Mr. Cullen though.

M~

Khorn likes this.
  23. Thing Fish

Thing Fish “Jazz isn't dead. It just smells funny.”

Been fully satisfied for over 5 years now. I'm done!

Swann36 and Nathan Z like this.
  24. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

I am very satisfied my last major upgrade was new speakers, 3 years ago now, and most of the other gear I've had I've had for quite sometime. My amp of the last 14 years is at the dealer/builders for new power supply caps, the old ones started to bulge/leak at 20 years of age. So enjoying a loaner amp that I quite like and looking forward to my own amp sounding better than ever with new power supply caps. That being said I quite like this loaner amp, in a perfect world I would keep both amps but it sure ain't a perfect world. :D

25. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

I'm at a point of great satisfaction with what I have. (Esoteric universal player, Hegel integrated, Totem Wind). I'm getting, I dunno, 98% of 'the absolute sound' and the marginal cost of chasing the last 2% is unjustifiable.

timind, Glmoneydawg and Khorn like this.