Are you watching Glee?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kwadguy, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

The first 2 seasons were fun but things got so bad after that. The plots and characters are beyond pathetic. Too bad.

Vidiot likes this.
  2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

They did introduce a new set of high school characters, but they were roundly rejected by the show's dwindling fanbase. It didn't help, though, that they also tried to keep Rachel, Kurt et al active at the same time.

Now they've given up on the high school, but from what I've seen (I mostly gave up after season 4 but I catch parts of episodes here and there) the "making it in New York" stories are 10 times more nonsensical than the earlier episodes ever were.

Vidiot likes this.
  3. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Naw, never have seen a single episode

4. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

No. I am not watching Glee.

5. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

First season was wonderful fun. I wish they wouldn't drive these shows till the wheels fall off.

Vidiot likes this.
  6. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

They simply ran out of stereotypes.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Ah, but there's always new stereotypes to pull out! As Glee was beginning to crash and burn in Season 4, I went back and pulled up the pilot on iTunes, and it's amazing how much there was to like in that show: the characters were very edgy, the high school felt fairly real, and the actors weren't pushing 30 (then). All of that got lost over the years as I think the writers got enmeshed in self-parody, way over the top craziness, and completely unbelievable situations. It's also sad to reflect upon the number of characters that kind of came and went without any acknowledgement; in a recent episode, Jane Lynch's character even referred to the number of Glee students who seem to only show up every so often, when they feel like it, which had me on the floor.

8. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

No, I think they've covered them all; every racial, sexual, differently-abled variety I could imagine (and a few I couldn't). That's where they lost me-- the earnestness, a sermon to be preached every week. Even the music couldn't save it, and often made it worse.

Vidiot likes this.
  9. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I watched the pilot again also about a year ago and was struck how terrific it was. What bothered me by the time it got around late in the second season was the show felt very self conscious . The kids were now stars and dressed like a million bucks and it lost most of its innocence and truth and felt really contrived to me.

Vidiot likes this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Very true. There was a recent incident where a prominent actor on the show got fired because they clashed with star Lea Michele; the producers denied it, but the co-star (Naya Rivera) was conspicuous by her actress. I have been on the set of the show and saw zero politics and zero problems, but you never know what kind of fights are going on behind closed doors.

chacha likes this.
  11. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Adam Lambert in his limited scenes was the best part of this whole season......

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Whoops! Absence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.