Are you willing to spend 17k$ on speaker blind?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thomaskong, Mar 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

After 2.20 min, you can hear live sound from Line Magnetic LM3 speakers.

The regular price of this speaker is more than 20k$..

If I order within 2 days using Alibaba Anniversary sale, then I can get this one at 17k$ including shipping and WA State tax.

What is your opinion on this speaker after Youtube playing?

[​IMG]

Frequency range: 23 HZ-20 KHZ
    Sensitivity 105 dB
    Input impedance 8 Ohm.
    Dimensions: Height 2080 mm x Width 900 mm x depth 690 mm.
    Weight: approx. 80 kg. per Unit.

There is one more video.

Line Magnetic

Dennis0675 and Echoes Myron like this.
  2. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

Why on earth would you buy expensive speakers without auditioning them?

Standingstones, Mmmark, Kyhl and 14 others like this.
  3. thomaskong

I had formed love for Line Magnetic 508 SET amplifier after using it for 6 months.

Thus I had built some confidence on their product.

Also I have yearning for big horn speakers.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  4. If I could afford to spend that much on speakers I could likely afford a trip out of town to an authorized dealer for an audition. So no, I would not buy them blind.

5. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

This.

6. thomaskong

If you want to visit Guangzhou, China, you have to get entry Visa which will take more than a week.

Then I will miss the Alibaba Anniversary sale.

One or two hours of listening at strange setting will not work.

If you are serious, you had better do home audition which will not be easy since this speakers are huge.

I am curious whether I can tame this horn speakers with my cables and other tools to the voicing that I want.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  7. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I would NOT miss that sale and let these slip by at such a bargain price.

8. thomaskong

;)

JNTEX likes this.
  9. Sounds like you've made up your mind and hope to be more convinced through perhaps some quick positive input. And I can appreciate that if I were in the same boat and didn't have the hesitancy towards a blind buy.
    I hope it works out for you! :thumbsup:

thomaskong likes this.
  10. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

I buy everything blind. I suppose if I was strapped for cash and couldn't eat a several thousand dollar loss if I didn't like them I would be more in the other camp. Hopefully I am never in that position. Roll the Dice Baby!! Nothing is going to sound the same in your house as it does wherever you audition them anyway...unless a dealer lets you take them home. (Good luck with that). How many times have you heard people say "they don't sound the same" as I heard them in the store or at the show???

TommyTunes and Doctor Fine like this.
  11. thomaskong

:cool:

12. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

Or buy speakers whose sound you like...

Freebird likes this.
  13. thomaskong

This could be luxury since I already have a nice speaker(55K$ new price) mated well with SET amplifier.

One person attended invitation to my system on March 16th this year.

He left his opinion in other forum.

I made some time to meet Thomas and listen to his setup. There was suppose to be 4 of us. One called ahead sick, another the following day for some reason and one just fell off the earth. If you accept an invitation you are taking a spot others may want. If your not interested, don’t accept. Thomas was rightfully upset. Anyhow, the system.

I have listened to some nice systems in the last 4 ot 5 years. Only 1 made tears come to my eyes. That was a gigantic horn system playing Dylan. Thomas’s was the second. What really surprised me was it was to a Elvis song. It was a slow ballad. "I am so lonesome tonight". I’m not an Elvis fan, but the Lanche speakers and Line Magnetic amp produced such a strikingly real, Elvis is in the house play, it took me by surprise. There is something about how clean and dynamically quick the Lanche play. Voices are spooky real. If you closed your eyes, it would be hard to tell Charlie’s setup from a live singer through a PA.

Thomas played some other small scale music. Mostly vocal with limited Instruments. I then asked him to play The Nutcracker. Call me weird. I have about 6 versions of that album. Never have I heard such a breath of life like the Lanche /Line M put out. You can hear the hall like your in it. Out of all the great systems I have heard, this was at the top of the close your eyes and your in the symphony sound . It was so, so real. I’m pretty impressed with what the Corona Plasma tweeter can do.

Everything was CD playback and the system was room processed and equalized to hand off below 50 hertz to a basic PSB sub. I’m excited about this as I’m about to biamp my speakers which means I will be using an active crossover. I liked what I heard so I hope what I make at home works somewhat as well.

In all, high praise to Charlie for a well tuned, top class system to enjoy.

14. thomaskong

I already have nice one for vocal music.

StereoTimes --

But I consider this big horn speaker for natural dynamics and 3D soundstage out of horn.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  15. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

The Linemagnetic G-212 Mono Block Classic series Factory Demo on that YT link sounds very noisy/muddy and the BASS and HIGHS are poor, but MID is very strong. The soundstage is strange, like an echoed sound in a poor acoustic hall.

TL;DR :thumbsdow

16. thomaskong

You have a nice point

You had better listen to this on for clarity.

Stump likes this.
  17. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

LOL, another bad demo. This time with no MID sound. It's like you're on an airplane at 10,000 meters altitude and your ears are clogged by pressure.

I think the only way for a good judgement is to hear these speakers LIVE, running a quality record you know well.

For example, my needle drop sounds perfect on my speaker system. BASS, MID and HIGHS well balanced, huge soundstage, crystal clear sound on my middle size room.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  18. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Sounds like a bad JBL stage monitor setup ....... :confused:

19. thomaskong

I am going to make decision tomorrow morning.

If my goddess of sound whisper yes to me while asleep tonight, then I will go for it.

Otherwise, I will pass it;)

Billy Budapest likes this.
  20. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

How much and how soon you think you can sell them if you don't like them?

Standingstones likes this.
  21. If you buy these, what are you going to do with your $55,000 speakers that you already have?

22. You had better know you like horn speakers before dropping that kind of money. They are an acquired taste. Personally, I always can hear a bit of “squawk” in the upper midrange that I find disagreeable. For $17k, I’d rather go with Wilson Sabrina’s.

23. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

I'd be worried that by posting them here, a bunch of forum members jumped on this deal, and they'll be sold out if you decide to get them.

24. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

That I think is highly unlikely. Most members on this forum don't seem to spend much coin on their equipment compared to other sites like Audio Aficionado or Audio Shark etc PS Audio is King here!! LOL

Tullman likes this.
  25. That Lansche speaker is very interesting.

thomaskong likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.