Aretha Franklin - Aretha (2020 4CD box set)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darling, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Rosewater

Rosewater Forum Resident

Thanks for the link, I just needed this information to answer my question. I'm glad I ordered it, now I just have to wait for the release date and hopefully it won't be delayed again.

2. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

The 4 CD booklet looks really nice but I'm struggling to see this as something that I'd actually listen to more than once or twice. Probably I'll just defer to my wonderful Atlantic Singles vinyl from a couple of years ago when I feel the need for an Aretha overview. Finally out this week though...!

3. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

I'm with you on that.
    Thought this set seems to be the first to pan her entire career, i don't think 60 bucks is a reasonable price for 19 unreleased outtakes or demos... :tsk:

Rosewater likes this.
  4. Rosewater

Rosewater Forum Resident

I got a mail that my order will be shipped today, so i will have the cd-boxet this weekend. :)

Galley likes this.
  5. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

I got an email to say that my order, originally placed in June last year, will not ship until August 12. This has been a long wait, but I’m excited to finally be getting the box set!

Rosewater likes this.
  6. Rosewater

Rosewater Forum Resident

This has been a long wait indeed, but i'm glad the long wait is over and we can finally hear en enjoy this boxset, somwhing i'm really excited about as well.

DesertHermit likes this.
  7. Krivers

Krivers Forum Resident

Listening to Disc 1 now and enjoying so far. Booklet is well done.

8. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

That's what I thought when a friend hooked me up with a copy of Bob Dylan's Biograph back in '85. Boy, was I wrong.

9. My thoughts exactly. Half way through disc one. Happy this box came to fruition, although the days of glorious, ultra designed Rhino box sets are long gone, the slim book is still better than four discs in a clamshell case.

Galley likes this.
  10. Interesting. I have no idea how I missed this.

I was reading up and didn't find any info, so does anyone know if this uses the plangent process like the singles set did?

11. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

I've heard next to nothing about this, so far, other than the tracklisting. I don't even know who remastered it. Typically not the best of signs. But I remain hopeful.

Also, a bit troubling (and a bit of a bummer) that there is not, as of yet, a vinyl version of the complete set. Just a 2-LP distillation of the highlights. Again, not a good sign.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  12. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

For those of you who have heard enough to judge, how is the SQ?

13. Rhino doesn't usually screw the pooch with SQ these days, do they? It seems like at least over the last 5 years all of the releases have been fine. But this release has been kind of under the radar compared to others. Strange.

14. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

TBH, I really don't know how Rhino's quality control is these days. All I know is that, for decades, they were nearly unassailable. And then, after I got stung by those awful Pretenders reissues, I lost a bit of faith and stayed away for awhile. I take it they're back to their former standards?

15. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Been enjoying this set today on Amazon music hd.

If you can do it in one sitting, it’s a blast to hear her developing and evolving.

I still adore the Columbia recordings.

DesertHermit likes this.
  16. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

i've never been an "lp" guy, so box sets confound me further.

but when i was ten years old, my pop gave me three lp's on my birthday in '67.

aretha's "never loved a man" on atlantic was one. one of the nicest things he ever did for me.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  17. Judging by their YES, Prince and Aretha reissues, yes. But those are all I have to go by over the last 5 years or so.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    DolphinsIntheJacuzzi likes this.
  18. Swell pop! :D

rkt88 likes this.
  19. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Biograph is a great box set indeed.
    Not sure the comparison with the Dylan set is appropriate though.
    My main concern here is really the price from the start.
    Of course, it could be a wonderful box set for someone who doesn't have any compilation yet but that's not my case and i'm not interested in the Columbia and Arista tracks either so...

20. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

I've already got Aretha's QOS Atlantic box, and it is one of the greatest boxed sets of all-time. But this set interests me primarily because I know so little about the Columbia years, and am only familiar with her singles on Arista. So, I'm waiting to read more reviews (and to see if the price dips a bit), but this gives me so much material I don't already have that it's tempting.

21. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

22. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

For the Atlantic years ("classic years"), there is this great collection of unreleased material :

Aretha Franklin - Rare & Unreleased Recordings From The Golden Reign Of The Queen Of Soul

I agree something is missing for the Arista years that this new compilation partly fills in with its 4rth CD.

bleachershane likes this.
  23. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Hello all, my girlfriend likes Aretha but didn't have any .. i bought for her first

[​IMG]

on speakers corner she loved it ... and followed that up with

[​IMG]

as this is mono, i had to invest in a mono switch from @xmas111 ... it sounds so much better via mono

So my question is should i get the 4 cd boxset you are all discussing here ... would this complete a small Aretha collection as she's more a casual listener to vocal music (we both like jazz and classical so that's where most of our listening time is spent) and at the same time enable her to play the cds herself ..she's rather nervous with my TT set up but the cd set up she's very confident to play when i'm not around...

Or should i look elsewhere ?

thoughts welcome ...and appreciated ...she has a birthday coming up in late Sept so the release time is good

[​IMG]

24. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

I would recommend you this boxset Aretha Franklin - Queen Of Soul (The Atlantic Recordings) .

Or this one covering her Atlantic and best years (1967 to 1976) Aretha Franklin - The Queen Of Soul

Swann36, lv70smusic and pghmusiclover like this.
  25. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I feel that her Columbia recordings are unfairly maligned, and I have no regrets for purchasing this big CD box of her Columbia recordings. There are many amazing treasures to be found on it.

New box set to showcase Aretha Franklin's Columbia years

Anthrax and bleachershane like this.