Aretha Franklin R.I.P. (March 25, 1942 – August 16, 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cathandler, Aug 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Has been a great concert. They found back recently the original videotapes. Viewed it allready for some songs at the Dutch tv:

[​IMG]

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

They were selling the DVD at the concert. I didn't think of buying it because of region code. I'm going to look for it here.

3. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

One of the greatest voices of all time. Her run of Atlantic albums in the mid to late 60s stand as some of the best in the history of recorded music. Guts me that I never had the chance to see her live — canceled the same show three times that I had front row seats for! But it was not to be. Thank you for the music, queen.

Zoot Marimba and Hep Alien like this.
  4. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Oh boy, a sore one. I just watched this at the weekend too.

bobcat, Rickchick, Dave and 2 others like this.
  5. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

If this was fake news, there would be nothing to recover from in the first place.

6. LandHorses

I got to see her once in 2014 at Radio City Music Hall.

7. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

8. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

Never too early to share some Aretha. Hope she makes it across without suffering too much.

9. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I saw Aretha a couple of times, once at Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor sometime in the 1980's. She was popping out of her dress and remarked that she was on the Slim Fast diet but it didn't slim fast enough.
    And in one of the Detroit Thanksgiving Day Parades.

10. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

One of my favorite live performances from her

11. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

12. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

one of my all time faves, this one opens with Joe South doing one of the sweetest guitar licks ever recorded

13. BrutandCharisma

BrutandCharisma Forum Resident

Ooof. This hurts. When Aretha throttled down and just sang . . . . holy smokes she was great. This cut is my favorite and seems appropriate.

14. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

with Dr John dropping sweetness on the organ

Ginger Ale, Rickchick and Hep Alien like this.
  15. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I wanted to go see this - how was it?

16. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

A true legend; for her sake and that of her loved ones, hope her pain ends as soon as can be.

17. highway chile

highway chile I know it goes a little deeper than that.

Prayers for The Queen of Soul.
    I've been on a massive Aretha kick for a couple of years now, so I won't have to dig out her catalog in memorium if she indeed does pass. I'll just keep listening to what I'be been listening to.
    [​IMG]
    This summer I stood in the very spot where she recorded "I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You)" at FAME Studios. That's as close as I ever came, but it was pretty cool.

18. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

That Columbia CD box is wonderful. It really proves that her tenure at Columbia, while sometimes overlooked and diminished, includes some fine recordings.

This is one of my favorite Aretha performances from those early years -- so classy.

19. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

20. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Might as well lighten the mood a bit. She should've done more acting than she did, I thought she was great in this.

21. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Once again the so called fake news ain’t so fake.

JuanTCB, Artdob, goodiesguy and 10 others like this.
  22. LandHorses

In light of the current situation, I hesitate being honest but...........

She had health scares in 2013, so I went to this concert (like BB King a few years back too) wanting to have the opportunity to see her live.
    She didn't seem in the greatest shape, played a short set, and was winded at times.

Still glad I went.

Here's the setlist.......................
    Aretha Franklin Setlist at Radio City Music Hall, New York

23. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I saw her here in Pittsburgh in 2015 and she was much better than I had expected -- over the years I had read reviews of concerts where she was indifferent and going through the motions, so I was pleasantly surprised that she was absolutely engaged! Two of the highlights for me: hearing Aretha sing "Oh Me, Oh My (I'm A Fool For You Baby)" and accompanying herself on piano to sing "My Cup Runneth Over" -- a schmaltzy oldie that Aretha recorded while at Atlantic, but which was not released until years later.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  24. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

Fake news has become a trite way to dismiss anything you don't agree with.

I think people gravitate to it in situations like this ... I seem to recall that people were yelling the precursor to "fake news" about George Harrison right up to the moment his death was announced, even though it was circulating at full percolation that his time was short ... because it's hard to accept that your heroes and idols are human beings, they get old, they get sick and they die.

25. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

I will be very sad if she passes. I hope she is not in any pain. I love her music; she will always be the Queen of Soul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.