Arnold Schwarzenegger - pick your 5 favourite films poll!(excluding Terminator Movies)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Aar Gal, Oct 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

To further this point you've made, I wasn't aware he was really acting anymore. I assumed after his governorship was done, he was semi-retired. I just figured he'd do a small part in something like "The Expendables Pt. 14" or of that ilk and wasn't really active in terms of starring in movies. Shows you what I know.

2. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

Other than Terminator and T2, the only movie he was in that I even vaguely remember was "The Running Man", so that's what I voted for.

3. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

4. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I think Eraser is underrated. Nearly as good as True Lies.

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Running Man another good one. Stephen King novel.

6. ABBDutchFan

ABBDutchFan Forum Resident

1. True Lies
    2. Conan the Barbarian
    3. Total Recall
    4. Last Action Hero
    5. Predator

Pete Puma likes this.
  7. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Maggie was actually a good movie where he was able to step outside of his usual action, tough guy roles. He turned out to be a better actor than most people think.

Scott

8. Brian Shively

Brian Shively I always have an opinion

True Lies
    End of Days
    Twins
    Erasure
    Kindergarten Cop

Also liked Total Recall and Commando.

9. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Total Recall is one of the greatest movies ever made and anyone who says otherwise is wrong :)

10. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

The Running Man
    Total Recall
    Last Action Hero
    True Lies
    Jingle All the Way

11. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

True Lies is his best outside of Terminator (coincidentally, Cameron's film as well). I also picked first Conan, Total Recall, Last Action Hero, and Commando.

12. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

says True Lies was based on a French movie "La Totale!" (1991). I haven't seen the original, but I think would be hard to beat the version with Arnold

watching Twins now on tv..... I did nothing, the pavement was his enemy lol :D

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  13. primitivesludge

primitivesludge Forum Resident

The first 40 minutes of Total Recall are incredible. I saw it in the cinema in a brief moment when lockdown was relaxed (anniversary screening) and it is incredible how taut and sharp it is and yet filled with pathos and ideas. Verhoeven on his day beats anyone in the blockbuster action/sci-fi stakes, James Cameron included.

Once Arnie gets to Mars it loses something, partly because it looks like he's wandering around a big set.

Predator is a solid homoerotic continuation of the The Thing/Alien 'being picks crew off' but I have a tough time calling it anything other than a popcorn film.

14. Roman Potato Chip

Roman Potato Chip Forum Resident

I presume you're saying Predator 2 is better, since every other movie in the franchise is dog poo and that one's just mediocre. I definitely prefer the first. It sort of blindsides you with how good it is, because the over the top beginning lulls you into a false sense of action movie security until it switches to a sci-fi horror survival film, and all that macho behavior does is put them further in danger. It might be Arnold's most believable and nuanced action performance too. The only glaring flaw I see in it is the alien shot at the beginning of the movie added in by the studio which gives away the surprise. Should have started with them in the chopper going to get their mission from Dillon. Other than that it's an a-list action classic for a reason that never should have been turned into a franchise.
    It's an abomination. Just horrible, until Arnold shows up in the last ten minutes, then it's tolerable solely because of his charm.
    I'm not a big fan of either Conan movie, but I don't remember Destroyer being that much worse than the original. It seemed like more of the same sword and sorcery deal done as competently as the original. I liked both well enough while I was watching them, but don't really feel like ever watching them again.

15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I've simply never loved the first "Predator". I like it okay but it disappointed me in 1987 and it's continued to disappoint me ever since! :shrug:

I just got the 4K boxed set - it was cheap on Amazon. Maybe the 10th time - or however many times I've seen it - will be the charm! :D

Roman Potato Chip likes this.
  16. Dirkwkirk

Dirkwkirk Forum Resident

Pumping Iron.

17. Roman Potato Chip

Roman Potato Chip Forum Resident

Good idea getting the 4K! The Blu-rays are both terrible for the first movie in different ways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.