Arthur Grumiaux Complete Philips Recordings, program for replacement CD 45

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hvbias, Apr 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic Thread Starter

As many know CD 44 is duplicated on CD 45 in the Grumiaux Complete Philips Recordings box set. I'm starting this thread to coordinate all information on how to get a replacement.

Some emails were posted to the classical mega box thread but it seems like only a Decca Italy representative got back to people. I'll ask that a moderator edit in the replacement program email address once we have more information.

If you don't have the box, I think (just my opinion) it should be alright to purchase it as it looks like Decca will take care of customers and these sort of errors have been taken care of by classical labels in the past.

Here is a video where I got this information from: (also a big thanks to the regulars in the classical mega thread that have offered contact information, in particular @albelTW for continued efforts in organizing much of it)

RiRiIII, layman, J.A.W. and 1 other person like this.
  2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I wrote to my retailer, JPC Germany, and also mailed Universal's and Decca's customer services a while ago and they referred me to my retailer. JPC told me they had been informed by Decca that the duplicate disc would be replaced and I would get a replacement. No further action was required, at least not now.

hvbias, albelTW and layman like this.
  3. albelTW

albelTW Go beyond

I do not deserve all the praise @hvbias kindly gives me, the Mega box set thread is great place for all kind of information and because everyone tries to help others.

Re Grumiaux, I did get an email address from a facebook Universal-managed page where I had to send my address and they would get back as soon as possible, or so they said. I haven't had an answer from that mail address; as far as I know, other people didn't get an answer either, so I'm inclined to think it's normal.

Like Hurwitz said, there will be a central Decca address and the retailer channel. And Decca should post infos on their social soon, always according to Hurwitz, I'll check them out these days.

The first week of May is nearly here, so we'll see what happens.

hvbias likes this.
  4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Ms Valeria Rampana of Universal Italy just got back to me about the duplicate Grumiaux disc and told me I could get a replacement disc from them. She also said it would be available no later than May 7. I replied that I would probably get the disc from JPC, but that I would take her up on her offer, should that not work out.

albelTW and hvbias like this.
  5. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Same here. Message received.

"Buongiorno,
    le confermo che il disco è in arrivo nel mio ufficio entro la prima settimana di maggio, appena lo ricevo gliene spedirò una copia.
    Grazie per la pazienza, cordiali saluti.
    Valeria"

"Good morning, I confirm that the record is arriving in my office within the first week of May, as soon as I receive it I will send you a copy. Thanks for your patience, best regards. Valeria"

hvbias likes this.
  6. albelTW

albelTW Go beyond

I didn't get the answer yet, gonna send another mail now.
    Can you confirm the address is valeria.rampana [at] umusic [dot] com?

7. hvbias

That is the email I used, I haven't received a response.

8. albelTW

albelTW Go beyond

I sent another mail asking if there are new info, let's see what happens.

9. hvbias

I put it down to she must have received a lot of emails in a short period of time :)

10. albelTW

albelTW Go beyond

That's for sure, I should have been one of the first to write to her :D

I'd just like to have a confirmation I'm on their radar so I'll be sure to get the CD.

11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I think you're right, it took her 19 days to reply to my mail :)

12. hvbias

She might not be the official person for these yet, I am sure David Hurwitz will update with an official email at some point.

Just my gut feeling that Decca will press plenty to go around. And it is no longer available on Amazon.com so maybe they are adding them to the box sets like how one of those Bernstein black LP sized sets did it with the extra CD shrink wrapped over the box set.

RiRiIII likes this.
  13. albelTW

albelTW Go beyond

I got a reply from Ms. Rampana, saying she is replying to everyone who sent an email to her!
    They're getting their replacement discs in 7-10 days, so she told me, and she'll send me one when they have them. She's gonna keep me updated via mail.

@hvbias if you still didn't get your replay from her, you're gonna get it in the next few days

hvbias likes this.
  14. hvbias

She did email me, thank you!

The Grumiaux box has been in my heavy rotation since I received it, a remarkable collection of works. So happy this is getting sorted out.

albelTW likes this.
  15. albelTW

albelTW Go beyond

Glad to hear it!
    And it is indeed a wonderful box and the sound quality is really high.

SBurke and hvbias like this.
  16. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Some more information was shared today by Hurwitz. In summary, retailers have received the replacement discs. if you cannot work it out with your retailer you should reach out to [email protected]. For more details here's Hurwitz's video.

hvbias and albelTW like this.
  17. albelTW

albelTW Go beyond

Very well. I guess Ms Rampana will reach out in the next few days too.

Decca also told Hurwitz an András Schiff edition will come out later this year.

hvbias likes this.
  18. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

It is not Andras but Heinrich Schiff, the cellist, whose Decca will release a box set. :wave:

I just send an email to [email protected] and now the waiting game begins. I wish I had bought the set from one of the “independent” retailers such as presto or jpc.de as it seems that it will be easier to deal with them.
    I bought from Amazon.us, via their uk global store, so I will have to rely on Decca.
    At the moment, I am a little pessimistic because every time I have contacted the big labels, my emails have been ignored.
    I hope this will not be the case this time.

hvbias likes this.
  19. albelTW

albelTW Go beyond

A pretty embarassing mistake on my part. Sorry.

Amazon is telling everyone who bought the set from them that they could only offer a refund or a substitutive set (sending back the one received). On the Decca FB post about this, some people were complaining about this.

If Decca's mail does not bear the expected results, try Ms Rampana's mail address.

hvbias and 5-String like this.
  20. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I will, thanks!

hvbias likes this.
  21. hvbias

Has anyone received a reply from the info@decca email? I haven't yet.

22. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Neither have I. Not even an "email received" response. Just....crickets.

hvbias likes this.
  23. Alon Wasserman

Alon Wasserman Forum Resident

For all those interested, the digital version of the booklet is now available here

RiRiIII, albelTW and hvbias like this.
  24. hvbias

Incredibly helpful, thanks so much!

25. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I just got my set today and discs 44 and 45 are the same. Turns out waiting didn't make a difference. Anyhow, has anyone got the replacement yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.