Article: Drake breaks Beatles record with 7 of the Top 10 songs on Billboard Hot 100 chart*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bosto, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Yeah, and He’s So Fine was better.

2. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

What bothers me… is that Drake was over my house a few nights ago. I had a Beatles record framed and hanging on the hallway wall. On the way to the bathroom, he brushed up against it and dropped it on the ground and broke it.

;-(

3. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

I loved the EPs, but I think the album is phenomenally good. I do NOT hear the Go-Betweens resemblance that all the reviews touch on unless you're strictly talking very early Go-Betweens like "Lee Remick" and "Don't Let Him Come Back." Much more like a little early Feelies, the early Flying Nun bands, and some of their current Aussie contemporaries like Dick Divers and Chook Race. There's a big leap in the songwriting here compared to the EPs, and also the general energy level. But I would be surprised if thise doesn't end up Top 5 of the year for me.

Exit Flagger and Ted Dinard like this.
  4. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Hip Hop has -one way or another-been around since the late seventies. So why would it appear silly to you if soneone in his fifties listened to it. Im 62 and listen to some Hip Hop. I also listen to classical music, soul, blues,jazz,country,pop,gospel,funk and the Beatles
    I think it s silly people having prejudice and ridiculing other music than the one they connect with
    The notion that music was better before or hat the Beatles is better than all other music is B-t
    Elvis on the other hand
    Or Marley
    Or Hank Williams
    Or Biggie
    Or 2-pack
    Or Sinatra
    Or Ed Sheeran
    Or the Rutles
    :)

5. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

That's the biggie that'll never be topped. Well maybe but... I don't think so.

6. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

DIBS ON THE CONCH !!!!

D.D.

e.s., altaeria and Nostaljack like this.
  7. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

This has happened before to other artists as well. John Fogerty was accused of plagiarising himself. My point is it’s inadvertent and if you play very understandable. There’s only so many combinations to be made. I'm surprised it doesn’t happen more often than it does.

Now Zeppelin you’d have a case. Big fan here but they got away with a lot! I remember thinking that back then. I was surprised no one called them on it. Finally Willie Dixon did in the 80s and on from there. They had their own great sound but they “borrowed” quite a bit.

8. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

That 50 year old would have been 11 when "Rapper's Delight" came out, 16 when the first Run-DMC album came out. 19 when the first PE album was released.

I don't see anything strange about 50 year old hip hop fans. I am around that age and bought all of those records (12 inch singles and tapes actually) at the time they were released.

Why would it be any sillier than 70 year old Motown fans?

9. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

You were young only in years, in reality you were born middle aged and now your ''life' age is about 70.
    I once knew somebody like that, I always felt like I was talking to my dad despite us being the same age.
    Still, he seemed happy enough trapped in his strange old man persona.

e.s., SITKOL'76, Osato and 1 other person like this.
  10. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

He did but his lifting was subconscious. He says he didn't mean to do it and I can see how it could be an accident. There are just the chords, really.

Ed

11. Exit Flagger

Complaining that hip hop is just stealing other musicians' work and putting your spin on it would probably resonate deeply with Bo Diddley, Chuck Berry, Muddy Waters and other older musicians who listened to any pop or rock record of the 1960s. Or 70s.

Nostaljack likes this.
  12. It's not listening to rap per-se, but what rap you're listening to. Like, I wouldn't expect 50 year olds to be willfully listening to someone like Drake.

13. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Yes, my vocation was always to be retired

14. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Does music come with a "Coot-Approved" sticker on it somewhere ? Is it under the Language Warning sticker because I've never seen it.

D.D.

15. Exit Flagger

Drake to me is exactly the kind of inoffensive rap a middle aged guy would still feel comfortable listening to. Certainly easier to play in the soccer car pool than Death Grips.

e.s. and chervokas like this.
  16. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Here in Spain young people are into a **** called "trap", even worse than hip hop... A mix between rap and reggaeton with autotuned vocals

17. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Traps been around for decades. Autotune or vocals in general has nothing to do with trap. Wiki can explain it better than I can:

Trap music employs a heavy use of multilayered, hard-lined, and melodic synthesizers, crisp, grimy, and rhythmic snares, deep 808 kick drums, double-time, triple-time, and similarly divided hi hats, and a cinematic and symphonic utilization of string, brass, woodwind, and keyboard instruments to create an energetic, hard-hitting, deep, and variant atmosphere

18. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Well, maybe not a "typical" 50-year-old ... but there's always freaks like me without much in the way of musical filters.

e.s. and Diamond Dog like this.
  19. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

That really was a ridiculous argument. I'm 49 and was listening to hip-hop when I was 10. At this point there's more nostalgia involved for me in listening to RUN-DMC, Grandmaster Flash, Public Enemy or Erik B. & Rakim, which is the music that was on the radio when I was a teenager, than the long-dead Beatles. If you're fifty and have never listened to rap or hip-hop, you must have led an extraordinarily sheltered life, culturally.

20. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Speaking of 50-something hip hop legends being enjoyed by this 50-something, Rakim and KRS-One each had great spots on Luke Cage season 2, with Rakim closing the season with a new piece written to tie the show together, his first new music in years.

But this seemed like the appropriate place in this silly conversation to post this:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  21. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

The spanish variation doesn't sound like that..

22. Nostaljack

American trap had no regaetton in it. What is some Spanish trap so I can hear it?

Ed

23. SF Georgie

SF Georgie Forum Resident

You should still recognize the music in it. How can you claim it's stolen when you can't recognize it as music? Kinda like saying that no music is being played because you're not playing instruments/singing to it. You're also discrediting the sample sources. You can discover so much through the stuff that gets sampled. What if you didn't know The Beatles and you ended up disregarding a song that samples them just because there was rapping over it? You can at least tell the person next to you to be quiet so you can imagine what it would sound like without the rapping. If it's the instrumental version, then you're halfway there.

24. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Something utterly horrible and sub-moronic, you don't want to hear it

25. Nostaljack

But do you know any so I can hear for myself?

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.