Article: Drake breaks Beatles record with 7 of the Top 10 songs on Billboard Hot 100 chart*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bosto, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...Okay, it's a piece on CNN's web site by one Jennifer Lynn Stoever, headline: " Drake vs. the Beatles? Time to retire rap vs rock cliche ", someone else can put a woikin' link up, I'm an ideer dude!:targettiphat:

2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Are you saying that you don't know how to cut and paste a URL?

3. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

Drake sucks, though

4. So I’ve been listening to a fair bit of Game Theory lately - damn, these guys were good. Much better than Drake. I think all Drake fans should be made to listen to Game Theory instead. Or perhaps Voivod, to keep it Canadian.

citizensmurf likes this.
  5. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Any thread that dares to mention another artist in the same sentence as the Beatles results in a mass toys thrown out of the pram by a bunch of elderly men who really should know better. These threads always end up mean.
    Just check them out, there plenty of them...

Jarleboy and Fullbug like this.
  6. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

If I recall correctly, Jeatleboe used to change his avatar often (Pyle did not).

But, appropriately enough, when JB got the ban hammer it froze his account with that creepy ass Ringo mask.

7. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

As good as Jeatlebo’s is Pyle’s is the best.

8. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I agree. I'm not a Drake fan but I congratulate him on this achievement.

Jarleboy, Isaiah Tolbert and bob60 like this.
  9. Isaiah Tolbert

Isaiah Tolbert Forum Resident

He wouldnt have cut it in 2017. its all due to Billboard and RIAA being forced to count the streams as sales. He has physically only sold 160,000 copies. Not even gold.

bru87tr likes this.
  10. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

That's one week of sales in the US only.

His last record Views (2016) sold 1.6 million in the US. Second only to Adele's 25 in traditional album sales that year.

How many units did A Hard Day's Night shift in '64?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    TheIncredibleHoke and McLover like this.
  11. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

Agree wholeheartedly my friend!

You laugh but the old guard still manages to make the magic. The new single is phenomenal and very much looking to that new album!

12. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Why does this thread keep getting bumped up? Just let it die....

13. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

14. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Klen7000, thecdguy and JoeF. like this.
  15. Praveen

Praveen Forum Resident

I gotta admit, that Drake viral hit Kiki in my feeelings song is pretty catchy. Very tough to resist that song. Having said that, I just find a lot of Drake to be forgettable. Maybe I am old school, but the last real rap cut I really enjoyed was, a few years ago, that Kid Cudi song Pursuit of Happiness(Drake coincidentally was in that video though not part of the song itself). I just don't find Drake to be in the same league as Snoop. Then again, I don't care for Jay Z at all either and he is heralded among the best when I find many rappers to be more interesting than JayZ.

I think the deadpan triplet flow rap has gotten old. It was refreshing when it first came on scene, but now it's become too formulaic.

Also, the concept of records in music has to be changed now with the advent of streaming. Is Streaming counted the same as a radio play? If it is not, it should.

thecdguy, Osato and JoeF. like this.
  16. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

It's a really interesting formula, but yeah streaming is counted in a weighted fashion. People slam the way the charts work now, but I'm not sure it could be done any better.

17. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Interesting that the millions upon millions of listens the Beatles got on AM radio are never going to be part of the equation.

Spencer R and JoeF. like this.
  18. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

THIS THREAD AGAIN

Osato and JoeF. like this.
  19. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Neither are modern radio plays...

20. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I'll take Zager & Evans' "In The Year 2525 (Exordium & Terminus)" to that. Though that song had over the years made "worst records" lists and has been called everything from banal to asinine, the lyrics are much preferable to what this Bieber latched on to. (And Bieber ain't even Ian & Sylvia.)

21. Memph

Memph Forum Resident

The radio listens do count towards the Hot 100 rankings though, both in the past and present.

22. Adkchaz

Adkchaz Forum Resident

How many records did he sell? I probably live under a rock, i had to google him to learn who he is.

23. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Black Magic Woman and bob60 like this.
  24. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Why do you keep posting on this thread if you want it to die?

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  25. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Taking into account the different eras in which The Beatles and Drake flourished, there is absolutely no comparison between how music is sold--and consumed. Hell, you can buy albums and "singles" today without even leaving your house. Social media has been a game changer.

I'm not familiar with Drake's music so I'll let others argue it's merits vs. The Beatles, except to note two things--during the era of The Beatles, even people who didn't like them--in fact, even people who thought they were a Communist plot--knew the names of all the members and some of their songs.
    And these songs weren't used for television commercials or sporting events--so it's not like non-fans were exposed to their music throw those avenues.
    Also, every type of artist from every conceivable genre in pop music--but also jazz and "light" classical--covered Beatles songs.

Adkchaz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.