Article on The Rolling Stones being the first band to stream a concert online in 1994

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Jan 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

In 1994 The Rolling Stones were the first major band (though technically not the first band ever- see the article) to broadcast (part of) a concert online in video and audio. I found an article from that year that documents it:

Rolling Stones Live on Internet: Both a Big Deal and a Little Deal

I just thought that was a really cool achievement for the time. I'm sure a lot of you Rolling Stones fans already knew this happened but I just learned about it today. :)

Of course, in 1994 very few people had internet connections or computers fast enough to stream audio and video (much less audio alone) and the quality was apparently pretty awful, but still... baby steps! :)

That same year, Aerosmith became the first band to offer a song available for download on the internet.

905 and aphexj like this.
  2. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

The Stones were incredibly tech savvy and have been keen to stay at the forefront of new recording, performance, and broadcast tech for decades

What other band was doing Internet song request polls every night in 1997?

3. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

[​IMG]

hi_watt likes this.
  4. PaulKTF

Those sunglasses were never cool no matter what year it was...

Zoot Marimba and KeninDC like this.
  5. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

The Cure streamed a full three-hour concert from MSG in 1996 via RealAudio. I had high speed Internet at the time, and it was unlistenable. You would get a few seconds of audio before buffering started up. Constant cutting in and out, with that awful static RealAudio used to produce when switching to buffering. I was trying to record it to cassette at the time, and gave up.

I can’t imagine what streamed video was like in ‘94. I had text-only dialup at the time.

hi_watt likes this.
  6. PaulKTF

AGGGH! I hated, hated, hated trying to stream RealAudio in the late 90's on my awful 28.8kbps connection!

[​IMG]

jalexander and hi_watt like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.