Article: Some eBay sellers frustrated with rule changes

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by KeithH, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

You are mostly right. Some items are scanned and some aren't. I think delivery confirmation is only scanned at the regional center. Express Mail (and probably Registered Mail) are scanned at the local post office if it's of the right size (so I agree that population is probably a factor). Here's an Express Mail package I sent that was mailed from the counter at my local post office (Cherry Hill). It was scanned again at the regional center (Bellmawr):

Out of Foreign Customs, October 05, 2008, 7:38 pm, GREAT BRITAIN
    Into Foreign Customs, October 03, 2008, 7:32 pm, GREAT BRITAIN
    Arrived Abroad, October 03, 2008, 7:29 pm, GREAT BRITAIN
    International Dispatch, October 02, 2008, 10:13 am, ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)
    Electronic Shipping Info Received, October 01, 2008
    Processed, October 01, 2008, 1:52 pm, BELLMAWR, NJ 08099
    Acceptance, October 01, 2008, 9:33 am, CHERRY HILL, NJ 08034

Here's one that was scanned at a regional center:

Delivered, September 25, 2008, 10:53 am, DALTON, MA 01226
    Notice Left, September 25, 2008, 8:33 am, DALTON, MA 01226
    Arrival at Unit, September 25, 2008, 8:29 am, DALTON, MA 01226
    Processed, September 24, 2008, 5:21 pm, SPRINGFIELD, MA 01152
    Processed, September 23, 2008, 9:50 pm, SWEDESBORO, NJ 08085

2. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

By the way, with electronic shipping and drop off you can absolutely rely on it getting scanned properly.

What's nice about my local PO is that they open early (no retail sales) for pick-ups and I often just hand it to one of the early morning clerks. Otherwise I just drop it off in one of the boxes.

My PO also has an automated teller that works great for me on non-business hours.

Believe it or not the PO is quite reliable - contrary to what most people believe. I often use electronic shipping from home or the machine at my PO. Works like a charm.

PS - You guys really need to get these eBay shipping rates right. The Hoffman misinformation machine continues rule. Also note the already decreasing shipping costs for CDs on eBay. Very nice.

3. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

That doesn't make sense, but I guess it's possible in the American system. However, isn't everything scannable considered "delivery confirmation"?
    In the Canadian system, everything gets scanned at the local office or the local depot which receives the red box stuff.

Anyhow, the point of the whole thing is, if it's meant to be scanned, it will be, barring the odd problem, which happens when humans are involved.

4. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

No. There's a specific service called "Delivery Confirmation" that is not necessarily a tracking service. It only gets one scan at the beginning of the journey and one at the end. So they keep costs down by scanning at the regional center. It makes sense.

Not sure how this whole "scanning" debate stated but I agree that packages get scanned. The US Postal Service is pretty good.

5. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

As far as I can see a seller located outside of the USA would have to ship an LP to the USA for US$ 4 (if the item is listed on eBay.com).

http://pages.ebay.com/sell/August2008Update/MaxShipping

Joachim

6. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

I agree that it's confusing but that rule says it applies to "US Sellers." Not sure why a US Seller would be "shipping into" the US unless they're trying to cover US territories. You should look at the shipping rules for your local eBay.

These maximums apply to the first flat-rate shipping service within or into the U.S. Sellers are required to offer

By the way, it looks like the shipping rules are not even in effect in the UK. So other European sellers should check because I don't think you have limits.

7. joachim.ritter

I think you have to read it that way:

"These maximums apply to the first flat-rate shipping service within or into the U.S."

"Sellers are required ..."

Joachim

8. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Okay but have you checked the rules on your site? I looked at the UK site and I don't see any regulations like we have in the US. I'm pretty sure you're misunderstanding but I think you're better off looking at your eBay site before you do anything.

9. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Joachim - I checked around and it looks like the shipping rules apply only to those people registered on "eBay.com." If you're registered at eBay.de or eBay.co.uk then the rules should not apply. Still I'd recommend you check first.

10. joachim.ritter

I have listed on eBay.de, eBay.com and eBay.co.uk in the past.

If I list an LP on eBay.com I have to ship it to the USA for US$ 4. If I list the same LP on eBay.de or eBay.co.uk and someone from the USA buys it I can charge the actual costs.

Joachim

11. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Yes. What is the benefit of listing on eBay.com? Do you get more exposure for the item?

12. joachim.ritter

More potential buyers (from the USA and Asia) and sometimes higher prices.

Joachim

13. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

If you list on eBay.de does it show up in my searches?

14. joachim.ritter

By default: no.

Joachim

15. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

But you can select "international shipping" from eBay.de? I have purchased items from eBay.de sellers, I'm pretty sure.

16. TheNomadicSoul

TheNomadicSoul Active Member

When you do a search for something on ebay.com, by default you get only ebay.com items. At the bottom of the page, there's a link that says something along the lines of "show all items from international sellers". If you do that and then save the search, you should always get international items in your saved searches.

Just one of the many silly things about ebay.

17. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

You can also search "worldwide" in the search options. I understand why they do that, especially if you're looking for specific items that you don't want from overseas. My only complaint is that they don't let you make default search options. As you say, you have to save your searches. To be fair I do often want searches with just US items (like LPs or heavy items I don't want to pay for from overseas).

18. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Careful folks, Emotions can run strong but let's not let come over personal, eh?

19. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

I know shipping always gets me all hot and bothered. :D

20. Just tried to list a CD, one of those Sony Mastersound long box discs, and Ebay wouldn't let me charge more than $3.00 for shipping. I like to package those long box discs with lots of padding in a big box and there's no way it won't cost more than $3.00 (Priority Mail). I realize it's to keep sellers from gouging on shipping but in this case I'm left with no choice but to sell on Amazon (or, ulp, half.com) :(

-s1m0n-

21. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

But Amazon and Half have the same restrictions - and you pay more commission.

22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

ebay's stock was running $44 in season, $28 during slow summer months. Yesterday it was at $16.50. I know all stocks are down lately.

But what does this mean? It means that fees are going up again in January, and more restrictions are coming. Paypal only will be a requirement unless you have a merchant credit card terminal from one of "their approved" venders. More increases are on the way.

In other words, the party is about over now. Time to wake up and smell the coffee, unless you only want three bucks for your CDs after all the fees are taken out of the sale price.

23. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

You heard it here first! :laugh:

24. That's true. I guess my point is that I won't be selling this item at auction but as a set sale (which I could certainly do on Ebay as well but I'm getting loathe to make them more $) with the idea that I put the extra costs of shipping (that I won't be reimbursed for) into the selling price. Yeah, the.ebay.party.is.over :(

-s1m0n-

25. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

But you could still pack that CD really well and send it media for under $3 ($2.93 for up to 3 pounds). On eBay you can offer a more expensive Priority Mail option in addition to the cheaper one.

I mean to offense to you or your frustation but I'm having a hard time seeing the big deal. Obviously if you can make more after commission with a set sale on Amazon I understand - I sell almost 90% of my CDs on Amazon. But I just hope your not losing money by making the switch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.