Artist names you're unsure of how to pronounce

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by warewolf95, Oct 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhoenixWoman

PhoenixWoman Forum Resident

I think Ostrichfarm is very close. I think the first syllable of her last name is pronounced as "en"..."en-day-gay-o-chell-o".

ostrichfarm likes this.
  2. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I grew up in the area he's from and he was always "man-jee-OWN" [with the "jee-own" kind of slurred together as you said] or with the slight "ee" added on the end was an acceptable variation because of the Italian derivation...

3. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

genya raven

4. KingPrawn19

KingPrawn19 Forum Resident

Isn't that like Henry Mancini pronouncing it Man-seeny but Italians in Italy would say Man-cheeny - as you hear with Italian footballers with the name?

5. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

6. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I don't think so. It's the double 'c' in Italian that makes the "ch" sound, as in "Puccini" and "Cappuccino". Single 'c' is pronounced like 's', as in "Arancini" (and "Mancini").

7. imail724

imail724 Forum Resident

Sigur Ros

8. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

I'm afraid this is not correct. Single "c," double "c," same difference before the vowels "e" and "i." Both produce the sound we designate in English with "ch." A double "cc" is pronounced with bit more stress than a single "c," but that's it.

To create a hard "c" ("k") sound before an "e" or "i," you add an "h." Again, this pertains after a single "c" or a double "c."

9. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Your name suggests Italian descent, so I must assume you know better than I do.

So in that case, what's the verdict on "Mancini"? How would an Italian living in Italy pronounce it?

10. KingPrawn19

No the famous 1980s Italian international footballer definitely pronounced man-chini and definitely spelt Mancini.

11. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Japanese pronunciation is actually very straight-forward. There are only 5 vowels and their pronunciation doesn't change:

a = ah
    i = ee
    u = oo
    e = eh
    o = oh

Therefore it's pronounced ryoo-eechee. Written as 龍一

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  12. Swamiji

Swamiji Forum Resident

Any non-native German speaker try Einstürzende Neubauten.

imail724 likes this.
  13. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

Yes, and it's not that hard. But perhaps you meant "non-native Germanic, not including English, speaker"? :)

14. christian42

No, it's not the other way around. Standard British English would not pronounce the R in SHAR-Day, while Standard American English would. If you then want to go into different dialects and sociolects, be my guest, but that doesn't change the main statement.

15. KingPrawn19

Going back to Mancini it must be something to do with Italians outside Italy in English speaking countries slightly anglicising the pronunciation as in the 1960s/1970s here in England we also had a footballer called Mancini (Terry Mancini) from the English Italian community and he pronounced it like Henry Mancini the composer (obviously an Italian-American). Whereas the Italian footballer was from Italy itself and who pronounced it Man-CHINI.

16. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident

It also depends on the listener. I've heard many Americans ask why British broadcasters refer to Barack Obama as "Obalmer."

17. christian42

Ah, but that is the intrusive R, at least if you're referring to what the presenter says in the very first sentence. "Barack Obama-r-arrived in Britain..." An intrusive R appears when a word ending in a vowel is followed by a word that begins with a vowel sound.

If you listen at 1.28 in the video, you can hear how it's pronounced when Obama's name is followed by a consonant - no R anywhere.

And of course the intrusive R doesn't apply to Sade, since the sound following the SHAR is a consonant.

budwhite likes this.
  18. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

mahn-CHEE-nee.

19. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

An interviewer asked Prince “How do you pronounce it?” Prince said “You don’t.”

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  20. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

21. lastdamdown

lastdamdown Forum Resident

"MURL" or "MARE-ul" Haggard?

22. lastdamdown

lastdamdown Forum Resident

Mark Kozelek. Tony Iommi.

23. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

.....NAR...CO?!

Fender Relic likes this.
  24. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

Eye O Me

Chris DeVoe and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  25. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Sugar Minott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.