Artists recruiting their offspring

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ScienceFictionFan, Sep 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

David Crosby's son James Raymond adds a lot to the sound, writing, and production on the CPR and excellent recent Crosby albums as well as the live show. Johnny Cash's son John Carter Cash played with his live show in later years. Sean Lennon has collaborated with Yoko. McKenzie Phillips sang in a later version of the Mamas and Papas. Dweezil Zappa played guitar on some of Frank's later albums.

2. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Julie Vander has featured on several records by Magma and Offering with her (no longer married) mom and dad Stella and Christian.

3. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Of course, as you point out, Andy was Barry’s brother, not his son.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  4. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

Bruce Springsteen has had Jay Weinberg (Max's son) fill in on drums in the past.

kouzie, blastfurniss and Say It Right like this.
  5. popscene

popscene Senior Member

No, but he’s played with Yoko over the course of the last 25 years, to great effect.

6. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Has Zak played on any of Ringo’s albums?

7. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Matt Jardine with the Beach Boys and Brian Wilson live shows.

melstapler and oldsurferdude like this.
  8. Two Sheds

Two Sheds Sha La La La Lee

Like it or not, nepotism is part of life.

I have seen Bobby Vee playing with his sons backing him on guitar and bass, a latter-day version of Big Country featuring Bruce Watson and his son Jamie on guitar, and most recently, the Monkees with Mike Nesmith's son Christian accompanying them on guitar. Maybe more, but that's all I can think of right now.

As long as it works musically, I'm fine with it.

9. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Busted!

10. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

In some cases, it's kind of neat and artist will bring their kids into the show.
    While it makes an interesting side bit, a lot of times they don't have the 'wow' factor
    as their famous parent.
    However!
    Once in a while, one will come along and blow it out of the water.
    Point in case for me, Billy Joe Shaver's son Eddy.
    The guy was a guitar superstar.

melstapler and Pinknik like this.
  11. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

That was such BS. But then, he'd been sh!t!ng all over Michael for years by that point.

12. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: Robbie Krieger has been touring for years with his son Waylon, who sings and occasionally plays guitar:

13. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

Neil Finn and his son Liam have released an album together, Lightsleeper. Son/brother Elroy drums on it, and to complete the family, wife/mother Sharon also plays and sings on it. Liam has worked with his dad on and off for a number of years, and is a very talented songwriter and musician in his own right. Elroy has also worked on several Neil Finn projects and always does a nice job on drums.

14. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

Edgar Froese brought his teenage son Jerome into Tangerine Dream, where he played for several years. They had some kind of falling out and Jerome left, and after Edgar's death, his successor Thorsten Quaeschning has kept the group going and IMO doing more interesting work than they did in many years under Edgar, and I've read a few comments of disparagement from Jerome.

LivingForever likes this.
  15. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

Now that I don't know.

16. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Barbara Cowsill hired an entire band of her children!
    Seriously!

17. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Bryan Ferry's son, Tara, has drummed on at least one of Bryan's albums and maybe toured.

18. diveintoyesterday

diveintoyesterday Forum Resident

Deacon Frey played a few shows with the Eagles.

melstapler likes this.
  19. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

Tom Waits and his son Casey on drums

melstapler and bicyclops like this.
  20. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I’m not exactly on board with nepotism as a whole. That said, if the kid’s paid their dues and can do the job well, then I will give it a pass.

21. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

People like to crab about Wolf joining the band but without his involvement Eddie and Alex wouldn't have reunited with DLR for 3 tours and an album. It was Wolf who got his EVH to find the classic Van Halen guitar sound again. In a perfect world it would have been a full reunion but little about VH has been perfect the last 20-30 years.

I would say the involvement of Dax Nielsen in Cheap Trick has made them a better live band. Bun E Carlos is great but his physical issues limited his playing to short setlists. Dax gives them the ability to play longer sets.

22. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Christine McVie does not, as far as I know, have any children. For her album 'In the Meantime' she worked with her nephew Dan Perfect whom I believe is primarily an artist not a musician. Dan Perfect plays all credited guitars (not counting bass) on the album, and also co-wrote many songs on the album including one sole credit. He co-produces the album.

In my opinion, 'In the Meantime' is McVie's best solo album, and compared to her Fleetwood Mac work before she left, is a significant return to form. I can only think that Dan Perfect brought a lot to the table and he appears to have done a very good job for his aunt.

23. snigglefritz

snigglefritz Forum Resident

Dave Brubeck had a quartet with 3 of his sons. I thought they were excellent the one time I saw them live.

24. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

never been so impressed with paul weller's children!!

25. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Amen. Got to see them twice and they signed my LP of Tramp on Your Street.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.