Artists Who Hate/Dislike One Of His/Her Biggest Hit Songs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FaithMonkey, Jul 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Not that one so much, although he says he wrote it in 20 minutes, and stopped writing songs like that because it was just too easy.

No, his real albatross is Hello It's Me. He views it as selfish and self-involved - "all me..me...me..."

bzfgt and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. cquiller1

cquiller1 Forum Resident

I consider "I Saw the Light" and "Hello It's Me" to be among Todd's best songs. But then I love the whole "Something/Anything?" album.

bzfgt and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

They're absolutely classic pop tunes, but I honestly wouldn't put them in the top 10 of my favorite Todd songs.

Jarleboy, PsychGuy and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It seems like most major artists with relatively deep catalogues end up hating, or at the very least, becoming very tired of some of their biggest hits that they are expected to perform every time they hit the stage.

5. Chris DeVoe

I wonder if musicians know that? If they write a song, realize that it's good.

That it might be too good.

That this might be the song they're going to have to play every damn night they get on stage for the rest of their life.

Especially if it's about something that no longer applies to their life. If it's about a girl that they otherwise wouldn't have thought about in decades, so far in the past is she. A song about youthful rebellion when your main problems these days are hair loss and worrying about prostate cancer.

I think it's fairly well-established fact that Mick Jagger has had no problems getting satisfaction for many many decades.

bzfgt, blivet, Jarleboy and 1 other person like this.
  6. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Oh, boo hoo artists. You recorded a song that a lot of people like, made a lot of cash and now folks want to hear you sing it. Waaaaah! What a horrible life.

There are folks in jobs where they got to do the exact same thing over and over, day after day, year after year for little money.

7. burningedge

burningedge Forum Resident

I believe Radiohead also don’t like “High and Dry” which made it into the top twenty in the U.K. and U.S. alternative charts.

Beamish13 likes this.
  8. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Same with “Girls”

MikeInFla, Matthew Tate and wolfram like this.
  9. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

And "Strangers In The Night"!

10. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

They must be the only one-hit wonder group to have two number ones then

pwhytey, bzfgt, Ma Kelly and 3 others like this.
  11. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I understand their label forced it on them. Kind of the cost of fame and financial success hey? There are a lot of bands who turn away from it for their own reasons. Personally I was a big Trick fan and I like the song a lot. It's well produced and performed.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

As far as I can gather, Mick and Keef, at one time or another, have hated everything they’ve ever done.

Amazing when you really think about it.

13. carrick doone

Great story!

bzfgt likes this.
  14. carrick doone

Though I haven't read her memoir I'm not surprised Pat Benatar hates that song. The lyrics are indefensible even for the 80s. I get that they aren't meant to be literal but that the writers used that language is the harsh part.

15. Steve Mc

Steve Mc Bangles Encyclopedia

His four released 90s albums (and the Jesus Record demos) are genre-transcending musical and poetic triumphs.

bzfgt and Chazzbo13 like this.
  16. MothMonsterMan

MothMonsterMan I am a moth who just wants to eat your flag

I really like it. But it's not even the best song on their weakest album.

sleepjar and ghoulsurgery like this.
  17. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Creep stats:

Creep by Radiohead Concert Statistics | setlist.fm

bzfgt likes this.
  18. thatguy1976

thatguy1976 Forum Resident

Mariah Carey hates “Someday”. It was one of four songs that she recorded before she signed with Sony. During the recording of her debut album, Sony brought in Ric Wake to make some alterations to the track.

She has stated that she hates the way it was produced and since she was not allowed to co-produce her debut album, she just had to accept it.

Matthew Tate and Bobby Morrow like this.
  19. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

They definitely didn’t abandon it completely, but I remember it being a huge deal when they started putting it back in setlists (with some changed lyrics) in 2003-2004. I guess they just throw it in when they feel like it now and then.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

Not sure if mentioned but while not hate, Lemmy was definitely getting tired of playing Ace of Spades and Overkill at shows. Probably because he would mix up the lyrics sometimes in concert. Happened when I saw them live once.

bzfgt, Jarleboy and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

Singer Derek Shulman of Simon Dupree & the Big Sound hated "Kites" -- preferred the band's attempts at blue-eyed soul. Go figure.

Dok and Jarleboy like this.
  22. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Madonna really trashed Like A Virgin and Material Girl in a lot of interviews around the time of Ray Of Light. Saying she'd never perform them again, that she regrets doing them. Yet it looks like she's softened up as she's performed them again in latter tours.

Pat Benatar makes no bones about her contempt for Hit Me With Your Best Shot. She performed it when I saw her but didn't even try to hide the fact she hates it

23. Carl Steward

Carl Steward Forum Resident

Didn't John Lennon hate about 90 percent of the Beatles' catalog?

24. Carl Steward

Carl Steward Forum Resident

Bob Dylan hated Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts. Oh, no, wait, that's me.

25. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Depending upon the day, but it seems like certain songs he dismissed as garbage or wanted to redo.

The ones he consistently praised were pretty much classics.

bzfgt, Jarleboy and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.