Artists who re-recorded versions of their earlier songs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sloaches, Oct 1, 2018.

1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Shiny Toy Guns-Turn To Real Life, 2005
    We Are Pilots went through a couple re-records/mixes.
    Re-recorded in 2008 with Sisely Treasure on vocals
    2005 (Carah Faye)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  2. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

Eric Clapton re-recorded After Midnight

ARK and Rooster_Ties like this.
  3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I went through a whole evenings' "entertainment" last week with the Perthian in question, based on his not approving of whether I had a right to express a contrary opinion on a subject which you were not taking part in discussing, and it so egregiously offended him that I should not be falling in line with his worldview that he was apoplectic in his venom. I have nothing against Perth itself, but apparently the water there appears to encourage blind loyalty without knowing what they're talking about.

One wishes you could be a little more empathetic with people who share something a little more common than just a municipality, say, breathers of oxygen, or...civil people on a board trying to communicate rather than shut one another down?

4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

For a beer commercial! Great idea Eric.

5. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Speak to Jeff Lynne.

6. Dillydipper

Earlier curtness notwithstanding, you are right on the money there. The particular flavors for rock downunder went sadly unnoticed during this age, but with so much happening (and being cross-pollinated) between America, Europe and England, it's not surprising some traits got lost in the cracks. Album rock was opening up a lot more interest in everything for the generations who had just had the singles to focus on. The proliferation of personal stereo systems and FM's influence on the way artists were exposed in markets such as N. America, gave most of us more choices and variety than we could easily hold in our heads. And who knows how successful the Australian Industry was at finding the sweet spots of the markets in the upper hemisphere.

7. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Pure Prairie League have a couple of re-recorded hits compilations including Mementos and the Very Best Of... CD sold on their website

8. mtvgeneration

mtvgeneration Forum Resident

Exposé, with a totally different line-up, re-recorded "Point of No Return." The original was a dance hit.

ARK likes this.
  9. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Forum Resident

Keep On Sailing - Ian Matthews

10. barking spider

barking spider Forum Resident

This is a rerecorded tread only with different vocals. But some people prefer the original version.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  11. Newton John

Newton John Forum Resident

Suzanne Vega re-recorded four albums worth of earlier work. They were cleverly themed in groups:'

1. Love Songs
    2. People & Places
    3. States of Being
    4. Songs of Family

Very good they are too.

Dennis Metz likes this.
  12. Was there ever a full-length album of acoustic Yes arrangements like this? I'd love to have something like that!!

(Not sure which box set they appeared on; I need to look into this further.)

13. Dillydipper

You are correct - this IS a "re-recorded thread"...we've discussed this dozens of times before.

I see no reason to disrespect whatever stands out as "the original version" myself. I also see several reasons to re-record, that have no bearing on the fan, the scholars or those that just resent having a fresh version out there that for some reason takes precidence over the first version.

Most important, I don't see what you're getting at, and how that factors into whatever you found in my first post that needed somehow clarifying.

14. Grahamstuartcanada

Grahamstuartcanada We play two kinds of music “new” and “wave”

ARK likes this.
  15. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Usually the main reason artists re-record previous songs are:

1. Change labels and new label wants to release a greatest hits package, but can't obtain rights to original. So they re-record song for new compilation.
    2. Change lead singers and want to re-record some of their biggest hits with new lead singer.
    3. Want to change the style/tempo of a song. For example, make what was previously a rockin' song that was done with electric guitars into an acoustic, slowed-down version of same song.
    4. Original master tapes were destroyed or lost and can't use generational copies of original.

Bands and artists who have, off the top of my head, re-recorded songs (some multiple times):

1. John Mellencamp - Many hits re-recorded as acoustic or country versions. The compilation album Rough Harvest contains some.

2. Iron Maiden - Bruce Dickinson re-recorded some songs that were originally done by Paul Di'Anno. "Prowler '88" and "Charlotte The Harlot '88" are just two examples.

3. Overkill - They have re-recorded some songs from their original Demo EP and first few albums in which they don't have access to original masters anymore.

4. Iced Earth - Since the band is a revolving door of members (except for Jon Schaffer,) every time a new lead singer joins the band, the new lead singer rerecords a couple of the fan favorites from the back catalog. Matt Barlow did it when he became lead singer (2 different times,) Tim Ripper Owens did it when he took over for Matt Barlow after Barlow left the first time and Stu Block did it for a couple songs when he took over for Matt Barlow when he left the 2nd time.

5. Jag Panzer - Their classic debut album, Ample Destruction, was basically re-recorded, along with other early songs from early demos, EPs and unreleased albums (at the time) because original label owned the rights and wouldn't let them put out a compilation with their current label at the time. So they created the compilation "Decade of the Nail-Spiked Bat" in 2003 with all new re-recorded songs from their back catalog. (Since then, they were able to briefly have access to master tapes of their early stuff from original label owner and was able to release limited edition remastered versions of the early stuff.)

I am sure there are many, many other examples that I can't think of.

Did AC/DC ever re-record any Bon Scott songs with Brian Johnson singing (not counting live versions)? I can't remember and am too lazy to look it up.

mtvgeneration likes this.
  16. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

Bob Welch - Greatest Hits & More

17. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

The Isley Brothers
    Released “Who’s That Lady” as a single in 1964 on United Artists
    Re-recorded it as “That Lady” in 1973 for T-Neck

Stampeders
    “Wild Eyes” was recorded for their 1971 Carryin’ On album and again on their New Day album in 1974

18. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

Agreed. Even as an easily impressed 12-year-old I knew that ‘86 version was terrible.

phillyal1 and Folknik like this.
  19. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

He also re-recorded some of his Columbia material for Capitol.

20. willmatic

willmatic Forum Resident

Dk if anyone mentioned Springsteen’s Ghost of Tom Joad, the later version with Tom Morello is my pick.

21. ron325

ron325 Forum Resident

I don't imagine anyone mentioned Monster Magnet covering their early garage-rockish version of Tractor with a killer, heavy version on Powertrip (8 years later).

22. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

The Cure re-recorded several of their best-known hits for ‘Acoustic Hits.’

As pig bodine mentioned upthread, Sinatra did a lot of this after switching labels. One example is “I’m a Fool to Want You,” which he cut for Columbia in 1951, and then again for his 1957 Capitol album ‘Where Are You.’ I find in this case the second version is far more powerful than the original: sadder and much more haunting.

Sam Roberts remade the three hits from his ‘The Inhuman Condition’ EP for his first album ‘We Were Born in a Flame.’ In the case of “Brother Down” it’s barely distinguishable, but “Don’t Walk Away Eileen” and “Where Have All the Good People Gone” sound rawer and hit harder on the EP.

23. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

Utada Hikaru - Distance

From YouTube Comments:
    "This was before the Osaka School Massacre where a 6 year old student Rena Yamashita and 7 others got killed by the School Janitor. When Utada heard about the incident where Rena made an essay that she wanted to be like Utada, Utada made Distance in a ballad version that became Final Distance in 2001 to honor Rena who left the world too soon."

24. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

Utada Hikaru - Final Distance

25. Mr. E. Tramp

Mr. E. Tramp Forum Resident