Artists with Hefty Catalogs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by voicebug, Jul 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voicebug

voicebug Senior Member Thread Starter

I was wondering how many of us out there have huge collections of any one artist?

There certainly are many artists out there with overwhelmingly large catalogs. I have a completist mentality that I'm trying to tone down.
    Yes, sir, when I find a band or artist I like, I mean 'really' like, I gotta
    have EVERYTHING. Yikes!

Actually I have streamlined my collection by trading in a lot of CDs, but I still have loads of CDs by certain groups or musicians.

The Beatles: Including the official catalog, and, um, unofficial, releases, I have 60 + CDs.

Miles Davis: 50 + CDs

Elvis Presley: under 50 CDs

The Monkees: 40 + CDs including all of Rhino, Arista, and a few 'special' imports.

Frank Zappa: 50 + AND I NEVER LISTEN TO THEM!!!! Why did I buy these in the first place? I love quirky, strange, and technical brilliance. It's definately all there with Mr. Zappa.

Crowded House: 35 + CDs. What??? Sure the band only released 4 official studio albums, a hits collection, and a B-sides/unreleased collection. But the official fan club has been offering its members soundboard concert CDs for a few years.

OK, Gang. How about it? Who do you all collect? :laugh:

2. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

3. Elegy

Elegy Forum Resident

Wow, to get everything by Jethro Tull is some serious undertaking. I am including not so legal live recordings in my figures. Are you including these also? If not, I have amassed quite a few legal releases (all the U.S. stuff and a fair amount of foreign releases) and quite a few not so legal recordings. Well over 60+ CD's and I could go on.

Have quite a few Rush. About 20 CD's. Same figure with the Stones. Always looking to add a new CD here and there. 1000+ CD's and growing. The madness will never end.

4. voicebug

voicebug Senior Member Thread Starter

Re: This was just done. Here's the thread.

Sorry about that, guys. This newbie's still trying to find his way around the forum. I still feel like that small child who turned around in K-mart (circa
    1972) and noticed his parents were gone! My tiny mind panicked as I imagined the endless aisles, the underground caves, the doorways that lead to nowhere! ;)

5. Matt

Matt New Member

Miles Davis and Duke Ellington, hands down. The multiple disc sets alone put them over the top for me, but it's mostly because Duke and Miles were so prolific and so good for so long.

6. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Easily the Beatles over 200 CDs including solo stuff with a bunch more on an order right now. Probably Grateful Dead next with over 60 CDs. 40+ Zappa's, 40+ T. Rex and so on.

7. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Probably the band Marillion. I have 30+ CD's by them. A friend of mine probably has triple that amount!

8. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

The artist with the most items in my collection is the Beatles. Including items in the box sets, there are over 200 vinyl LP's, 70+ vinyl 7" singles/EP's, approx 26 CD albums, plus a couple of 12" singles and over 35 CD singles/EPs. This includes the stuff contained in the CD singles and CD EP box sets. ALL the items in my Beatles collection are official releases (I don't buy boots as a matter of principle).

The Beatles on vinyl is my all-time favourite stuff. I have all the Beatles LP's ever released in the UK up to and including "1". In amongst this collection are two of the UK BC13 box sets, the MoFi set and the UK box sets of the 7" & EP collections.

I also have the complete set of 7" singles released in 1976, all the UK LP's in DMM versions, a set of the US DMM versions from a few years back, UK pressings from the 70s, US pressing from the 70s (Meet through to Revolver), German pressings, French pressings, Italian pressings, Greek pressings, coloured vinyls, the list goes on and on. The only things noticeably absent are picture discs, basically I've never been keen on them (they normally have bad sound quality) and so generally never buy them.

9. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Easy question. The artist with the most items in my collection is, of course, the Beatles.
    Starting around 1978 with an 8 track of 1962-1966 (part 1) on Apple. (You could buy them separatly then & I never found part 2.)
    First vinyl: Blue vinyl version of 1967-1970.Then The Second Album (Apple label) Meet, White Album, Yesterday & Today and the rest of the US catalog, all either Orange or Purple labels. A few imports & bootlegs.
    Most recent: YS Songtrack Yellow vinyl, "1" ,US Rubber Soul & Revolver mono & a very clean legit Vee Jay Introducing (version 2), pressed by Columbia in Terre Haute Indiana.

Singles: A small varity including a couple Oldies 45 discs, 3 Parlophone pic discs, 1982 Love Me Do pic sleeve.
    Most recent: Black label Swan "She Loves You."

CD's: All legit first issues. Most recent: Single & EP boxes & Bear Family Hamburg Days box.
    Numerous Boots including all Ultra Rare Trax & Yellow Dogs various Vigotones and other small labels.
    Most recent:Graet Dane's BBC box & Vigotones Thirty Day 17 disc box.

Solo: Many LPs, singles, CD singles, CD's(legit & boots) on various lables too numerous to mention, including last 3 McCartney DCC's. (RRS, V&M, & WATSOS)

:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.