Artists You Once Considered "Essential" But No Longer

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bluesman Mark, Apr 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Led Zeppelin. I loved them as a teenager but aside from a few songs that I really still like, I no longer play them. I have grown weary of Robert Plant's shrieking, not to mention classic rock radio overkill of about a dozen of their songs over the years.

I still love The Rain Song, Tangerine, No Quarter and a few other select tracks.

2. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

:agree:...well said.

DTK and Crimson Witch like this.
  3. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Nirvana. I totally outgrow em

4. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

I posted a similar thread but called it Artists You've Outgrown.

Pearl Jam
    Radiohead
    Alanis Morissette
    Metallica
    The Beatles
    Billy Idol
    Bob Dylan

pwhytey and Bluesman Mark like this.
  5. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Almost the entire alternative rock scene. I was a teenager in the early 90s and, while I did enjoy it at the time, my interest in it quickly diminished once I fell in love with progressive/art rock and not to mention jazz and classical music. Basically, the kind of music my dad played for me when I was a kid is what I ended up loving. Since I’m talking about this, I still look back on these years with a fondness as without the early exposure I had to these bands and musicians that existed out-of-the-box, there’s no telling what I would be listening to --- probably just alternative rock or whatever is on the radio. Thankfully, I came from a musical family and I was fortunate to have access to a wide array of music.

6. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Always liked Graham Parker . 'Howling Wind ' is terrific. Major talent? Not so much.

7. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

here's one where he's hittin' the note:

Aereoplain likes this.
  8. Ref98

Ref98 Forum Resident

Great points about Zappa. Although I listened only for a short period of time, it has now been only One Size Fits All that I will still listen to occasionally. I did see his son Dweezil and his musicians do a live performance of the entire album a few years ago in a small venue . It was really good. But I skipped the next couple of performances when he came around again as I didn’t care for the set list.

I lost interest in Zappa when I heard Carmina Burana.

9. daltieri

daltieri The 80`s kick ass

That is "Eric Clapton" (1970). "Clapton " is the record of 2010

10. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

I could add Led Zeppelin to that list. It just amazes me how many songs in their catalog were actually borrowed from other artists. It's ironic that Jimmy Page used to complain about other artists stealing his riffs. This is why I've been distancing myself from Zeppelin lately. Maybe this is why they never won any Grammys while they were still together.

11. Wildest cat from montana

There never was a Led Zeppelin album I liked from start to finish.

Earscape, DTK and pwhytey like this.
  12. JackS

JackS Then Play On

Bruce Springsteen , after the first couple of albums.

13. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I once considered most classic rock essential listening, not so anymore, though i will always enjoy, and appreciate some of it.

14. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Smashing Pumpkins post-2000ish. You really have to put in some work to cull good songs from the various reunion albums. My god do they need a good producer to reign them in

DreadPikathulhu, brittcake and DTK like this.
  15. DHawkins1590

DHawkins1590 Well-Known Member

Kiss; I was a huge fan back in the seventies, but they blew it for me when they made Dynasty. To be really honest I started going off them after I heard Alive II, which to my mind really showed them up for what they were, a bad (musically) live act.
    In fact the only album I still have is Destroyer, still listen to that now.

16. ironbutterfly

ironbutterfly Listening to marky mark in mono

Springsteen for me

his music just isn’t the same to me i guess we both grew up

bpmd1962 and Fender Relic like this.
  17. Wildest cat from montana

Don't want to bash Kiss fans. You like what you like. But I went off Kiss the minute I laid eyes on their first album at the record store.

18. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Every artist I have loved and respected will ALWAYS have that work that inspired me, spoke to me, made me feel stuff, made me laugh, made me think, etc etc.
    Therefore, they're ALL "essential" to me regardless of other work they have produced that might not "get" to me.
    It doesn't change a thing.

19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

At least you still like Queen.

Jarleboy and Sear like this.
  20. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

I actually respect that view. Numerous people did when they seen it! And that was without even putting the needle on the vinyl... :p

21. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

AC/DC
    Aerosmith
    ZZ Top
    Eagles
    Queen
    Def Leppard
    Steve Miller Band
    Foreigner

Basically, your run-of-the-mill classic rock radio staples. I just heard too much of all this stuff in high school on the radio, even went to a Def Leppard concert, eventually just got tired of hearing it over and over and decided to branch out. I'm glad I did. Now these groups just sound stale and boring. Not something I can relate to.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  22. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

What are your current musical tastes?

Jarleboy likes this.
  23. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

I was a huge Jethro Tull fan in high school and early 70's I had a huge poster of Ian Anderson on my bedroom wall at home which my father was not fond of. I wore out copies of Aqualung, Thick as a Brick and Passion Play but slowly lost interest with the subsequent albums.

I am still fan but rarely listen to Tull anymore.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  24. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

The Replacements. One of my top 5 fave bands during the 80's. Now I barely even think about listening to them.

Walter Sobchak and Brian Doherty like this.
  25. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.