Artists you once passionately loved but who now sort of annoy you

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Atmospheric, Sep 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Like many of us, I go in cycles. My fallback these days has been classic jazz. Miles, Brubeck, Coltrane, Blue Note. Riverside. I have a ton of 70's and 80's rock in the rack, but it just does not look good right now. My mind will change in a few months...

2. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Ariana Grande. I was one of her earliest fans and supporters but somehow I lost interest in her stuff after the second album... Although, she doesn't annoy me. I think she's still great.

Lightworker likes this.
  3. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

A loot of artists. Really a lot.. Red hot, Jethro tull, Gentle giant,Genesis, Iron maiden, Slayer, Sonic youth, Green day, Foo fighters.. etc. Is not that i dont like all of them anymore, is just that i dont feel the need to listen it, and im years without to.

uzn007 likes this.
  4. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

Contact her again. She may just have forgot to send the card. Her first reaction was nice, probably just her own day to day struggles got in the way...

5. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

What a drag it is getting old ;)

delmonaco and Groggy like this.
  6. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

1. I used to LOVE early U2. Now I find it boring.
    2. Tired of Beatles. Prefer listening to Paul or George solo.
    3. john Lennon.
    4. Jane's Addiction. Loved them in college. Bore me now.
    5. Pearl Jam. Ditto.
    6. Smashing Pumpkins, again, really liked them. Now I can't stand them.
    I used to like a lot of 50s rockabilly, not so much now. I like it, just don't often want to listen to it.

Atmospheric likes this.
  7. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

8. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Metallica. I'll occasionally go back and listen to Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning, but past that I don't really listen to them much at all anymore and they were my favorite band at one time.

As far as your comment on the Grateful Dead, I stick to the studio work. They're a better band within the constraints of a 4-6 minute song.

9. Groggy

Groggy Forum Resident

U2. Used to be a big fan.... probably up to & including Achtung Baby.... then Bono started to grate on me. To the point where I can’t stand them now

Hush, eflatminor, rancher and 2 others like this.
  10. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident Thread Starter

One good example, which I use to introduce folks to the band, is Playing In The Band on Ace. Live in the studio (no overdubs). They had been playing the song continually for months and had a good overall road map for the middle jam. Brilliant performance. Donna mixed way down. It's sublime.

Too many artists don't know when to pinch things off, do the paperwork and flush. I recently listened to some newer Bill Nelson stuff. Really good ideas that just go on wayyyy too long. If I find myself looking at the progress bar while a song is playing, as in "how much longer?" I usually end up culling it from my library.

Duke Fame likes this.
  11. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

1). The Rolling Stones. The "bad boy" thing starts seeming ridiculous once you get older. Also, once you hear the sources of their music, it makes most of the early stuff pointless.

2). The Who. Except for the first three albums and the singles up to '68, I now find this group unbearably pompous. During the mastering process for all future releases, I hope that someone overdubs annoying "woosh woosh woosh woosh" sounds on everything to mock Daltery's idiotic microphone twirling. I also think the two remaining members should be air-dropped in Somalia and forced to actually fight for their meals as punishment for that unintentionally comic line.

3). The Police. What's with him singing in a Chinese accent or whatever it is? Beyond a few deep cuts like "Darkness," I don't get why I liked this band so much in high school. Wait! Now I remember! If you wanted to lure the sexy new wave chicks up to your room, you had to have their albums.

12. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I don’t have any myself, but for Christgau it might be The Who. For a while now I’ve wondered why he no longer loves them like he used to. Then over the weekend I found this...

> >From: OvrwrkdB
    > >Date: Saturday, July 06, 2002 10:04 PM

In your section of reviews of albums by the Who, you called The Who Sell Out "their only great album" and yet, you gave Who's Next an A, downgraded from your original grade of A+. Isn't this a contradiction? Or is there a further explanation at work here ?

The brief answer is that for a long time I've found it surprisingly hard to listen to the Who. In the '70s book I rank Who's Next seventh, although I think it was my number one in the zeroth or first Pazz & Jop. Now it would certainly dip below Blue, John Prine, ZOSO, the long-lost Cry of Love, probably the even longer-lost Motel Shot, and others. I put it on for the first time in at least a decade as I began writing this, and it certainly sounds good. But in the '80s it became clear--I edited a great piece by Mick Farren that made the argument very strongly--that the Who had turned into (very nearly) the worst kind of art-rock band, and with benefit of hindsight all that synth noodling and Daltrey emoting on Who's Next makes me a little nauseous. Anyway, I always loved The Who Sell Out best of all.

13. Freelance_Philosopher

Freelance_Philosopher Well-Known Member

Putting in my vote for Smashing Pumpkins.
    Jimmy Chamberlain is still one of my favorite drummers, but Billy Corgan's "singing" is unlistenable and unforgiveable.
    Just embarrassing! C
    annot stand it for a second anymore. It's like an Emperor-Has-No-Clothes thing--once you stop humoring it even for a moment, you can never "re-see" any merit to it.

Atmospheric likes this.
  14. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident Thread Starter

I saw them live. Only about 1/3 of what I heard that night was remotely enjoyable. But tix were free.

Freelance_Philosopher likes this.
  15. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

The majority of my teenage favorites rarely get played. We're talking The Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat, The Misfits, Black Flag, Suicidal Tendencies, etc. I just don't feel that teen angst anymore.

I do get nostalgic if I hear some of these songs by chance but now I can live without 'em.

16. Jim Duckworth

Jim Duckworth I can't lose with the stuff I use.

Pink Fl0yd totally fell off my radar in the last decade. It was somewhat gradual: first, I would readily admit that they were overrated, but that I still enjoyed them; this gradually morphed into just "they're over rated."

rancher likes this.
  17. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

I listened to a lot of PF in high school - while smoking the "wacky tobaccy" - and ended up really disliking them by the time I was in college. Flash forward 25+ years and I have most of their albums again, really liking Animals, which I never had a chance to burn out on.

No Bull and uzn007 like this.
  18. Freelance_Philosopher

Freelance_Philosopher Well-Known Member

Sorry to break it to you, but he was dad rock when I was a teenager...

I'm about to turn 40.

19. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

My friend died October 12, so it's irrelevant now. Though Clare had replied personally before the idea of the card entered the picture, it was someone named Christine replying through the same account who asked for his address and said she will get Clare to sign the card. I did send another messages a week after he passed to inform them the card they allegedly sent never arrived. The response I got was also from Christine and it seemed pretty clear the card was never sent. One can assume Christine never even mentioned it to Clare to begin with, or if she did Clare had other things to do. Either way, it's a pretty awful way to treat a 35 year fan who was terminal. I really couldn't care less about Clare Grogan anymore, be it because of her own actions or how this Christine person handled the situation.

20. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Pixies. No Kim...no deal.

21. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

The donut-licking thing put me off her. Ewwww...

Ariana Grande apologizes and explains doughnut licking - CNN

andrewskyDE likes this.
  22. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Well, there are two scenarios actually. It sounds like you are describing an artist and work that you once liked, but now can't stand the same body of work, possibly because you've outgrown it, or because your tastes have changed, or because your life experiences since then have turned you away from this kind of music, or [fill in the blank].

Some that might fall into this category (though I don't strongly dislike them now) for me are:

The Monkees
    Peter Frampton
    Kinks (arena era)
    etc.

The other scenario, which is more common, I think, is an artist and work that you once liked/loved, but now can't stand the current day artist and work (but still enjoy their older recordings/performances).

A few that come to mind in the second category are:

Elton John
    Paul McCartney
    Eric Clapton
    Rolling Stones
    Neil Young
    etc.

23. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Exactly right, regarding the two scenarios. The thread was started to discuss the first scenario, which is, IMO, a less common and more interesting phenomenon than the first.

24. wabrit

wabrit from gardens where we feel secure

For me Van Morrisson belongs in the secondary category; his music has got progressively duller over time, but I still love his 60s/70s/80s stuff.

davers likes this.
  25. qJulia

qJulia Forum Resident

Elton John: I used to be a big (not huge) fan, but now do not want to hear his songs often.
    Michael Jackson: I loved his first three solo albums, but now do not like Bad at all as MJ seemed to scream a bit too much instead of singing. But I still like Thriller.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.