Artists you once passionately loved but who now sort of annoy you

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Atmospheric, Sep 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anarseo

Anarseo Forum Resident

in my case, I don't understand Paul Weller anymore; I just love the guy, but not a single one of his latest albums since 2005 has clicked for me; and I'm not ashamed to say that I loved the first Michael Bublé album (and how it is recorded!) but later I've kinda lost him

2. ANALOGFOREVER

ANALOGFOREVER Member

Pink Floyd is depressing now.

Don't ever read the bio of Mick Jagger or Steven Tyler. Ruins it. Not that I was a big fan anyway.

You get older. The stuff I listen to now is tantamount to illegal really.

My mind left this planet years ago..........................

I'm one of those old guys that refuses to talk about what he really thinks unless you say something that triggers the flood gates. Something that says "I think for my self, and won't be offended"

xilef regnu likes this.
  3. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

Early 90s Mariah Carey... her first couple of albums... Really like them. After that, through now... Yikes!

4. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Neil Young and Roger Waters can both ____ off the face of the earth as far as I'm concerned.

5. ANALOGFOREVER

ANALOGFOREVER Member

Rich Atheist hippies do not age well.............................

xilef regnu and peachyg72 like this.
  6. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Bono
    Roger Waters
    Elton John

Mainline461 likes this.
  7. kwhisperer

kwhisperer Forum Resident

I used to love the Moody Blues but then I saw them when they replaced Michael Pinder (my favorite in the group) with Patrick Moraz. I bought the concert program and was very put off that they'd actually cut Pinder out of group photographs. The concert was incredibly lame and Moraz did nothing for me. I went back to see them a year later and it was equally bad. It's taken me until the last few years to get into them again.

8. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

That's a bit more extreme than "sort of annoy you" !

somnar and PhoffiFozz like this.
  9. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

I take it your vitriol is based firmly in politics. :rolleyes:

A6mzero likes this.
  10. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Def Leppard now annoy me...

The Lizard King likes this.
  11. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Alright, I'll take the bait. "Better" is subjective, of course, but there is an undeniable impact that The Beatles had on culture, and they, more than any band in history, changed the course of popular music. I can't think of another band who had three songwriters of the caliber of Lennon, McCartney, and Harrison. All of them wrote songs that not only scaled the charts but have become standards and continue to resonate and have massive staying power a half century later. What other band released, in under 7 years, several dozen songs that are immediately identifiable to the average person, regardless of whether they've bought a note of their music? Who's "much better" that blazed the trails that they did, or had as much impact on an entire generation?

You can be "annoyed" by the worship they get, but to deny that there's good cause for it is...shortsighted.

12. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

Well some of what I read sounds like people being burned out by over exposure to the music. In terms of a band I really got into but later got annoyed with due to lackluster releases, the band Bush did that for me.
    I , like millions back in the 90s, really got into the Sixteen Stone album(and even enjoyed Razorblade Suitcase) but found some of the later material to be lacking (and Gavin Rossdale's acting and antics didn't help either).

13. Willie Eckerslike

Willie Eckerslike New Member

Coldplay. Saw them live on the tour for their second album & thought they were great. Don't like their recent stuff - seem to have got steadily worse.

14. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I will argue that the Kinks were the ones that blazed the trails the Beatles then walked and took credit for, but beyond that, your points are mostly valid. However the point of my post was not the influence, the cultural presence, the chart success, etc. They really just lucked into a position where all of that fell into their laps. And to make it clear that's not an insult to them or the music of theirs that I like. But I feel like to use those other things (chart positions, influence, etc) is to gloss over the music itself, and on the grounds of the music itself, the Beatles have enough stinkers to disqualify them from the title of "best band ever".

And yes I am willing to admit that a lot of these opinions were solidified by my dislike of the worship they received. But even back when I was hugely into them (late 2013), if you asked me what I thought, I would probably still say they had a bunch of crap and other bands did better than their best stuff.

As for bands with three great songwriters, I'd nominate the Church, but maybe just because I gravitate toward more cerebral music more than pop stuff.

15. Jaycat

Jaycat Forum Resident

Have to agree, though I'd place the beginning of the drought after 2000's Heliocentric.

There are quite a few groups I liked in the 80s who now get on my last nerve. Topping the list are Talking Heads. Also:

Timbuk3
    They Might Be Giants
    Robyn Hitchcock
    Cowboy Junkies ... etc.

The problem is usually that these guys are too clever by half. That impressed me 35 years ago but not so much these days.

16. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

I'm sorry to hear this. Two of my best friends have cancer, so I can understand your emotions.

17. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Paul McCartney.
    Well, I never passionately loved most of his stuff, but I did used to like him much more than I do these past many years...and he definitely annoys me more than he ever did when I was younger.

18. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Considering The Kinks' first single came out over a year after The Beatles' first #1 hit in the UK, and their breakthrough "You Really Got Me" didn't even happen until six months after The Beatles had already "conquered America" in 1964 -- post-A Hard Days Night, I'm extremely curious as to what trails you think The Kinks blazed before The Beatles.

You are selling their immense songwriting abilities extremely short. Their talent was not luck.

The Beatles released 217 released songs between 1962-1970, and out of those I can count on one hand the number of tracks I'd legitimately call -- objectively -- "stinkers". Who had a better batting average than that, with such little filler or flat-out poor showings? I honestly can't think of an act who has even come close to being that consistently good.

Former Scientist likes this.
  19. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Forum Resident

Bon Jovi & Def Leppard

Anarseo likes this.
  20. ANALOGFOREVER

ANALOGFOREVER Member

There's a bunch of documentaries on youtube that will absolutely wreck you admiration for musicians.

Most of them center around the "Crossroads" thing, if you know what I mean. Of course it all fake, so lets sing about it till the end of time.............................

21. Matisse

Matisse I said me gotta go now

Radiohead. The Bends had a big impact on me in 1995. I was really passionate about the band and their first two albums. Then something strange happened: I didn’t love OK Computer. Quickly got tired of it, for some reason. I could understand the hype, acknowledge the quality of the music, but it just didn’t speak to me all that much. I still went on to buy Kid A on its day of release. Same thing. Never bought another Radiohead record since. And on certain occasions, I started to find them slightly annoying.

I quite liked In Rainbows when I heard it again recently, but not enough to get myself a copy. Their last two albums are rather weak in my opinion. And well, I still find Thom Yorke mildly annoying (or unintentionally funny at times, depending on my mood)

ian christopher likes this.
  22. pblmow

pblmow Forum Resident

Big and Rich

Neil Young - (I'm surprised that he hasn't released a song of someone knocking on his front door)

23. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Phish. Saw loads of shows back in the day, Completely invested in the whole thing....but it falls flat for me now. Still great memories but I rarely if ever listen to them since about 2002.

24. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I don’t know that any artist who I love/d passionately truly annoys me now. I guess I loved em for a reason. I may not like later material, or be annoyed by their behavior (see 2018 Fleetwood Mac), but I think I still have a fondness for the time I fell for an artist and still return to the music that moves me.

On the other hand, there are artists who I used to actively dislike whom I’ve now become somewhat fond of, in small doses, perhaps, including Boston, Journey and Styx. Go figure. At the end of the day you can’t keep a good song down...

25. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Talking Heads - too clever by three-quarters

uzn007 and Jaycat like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.