Artists You Used to See Every Time They Toured - But You Stopped!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oatsdad, Mar 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

In terms of following someone from the outset, and then stopping, I think Eels are the only example I have. I went to see them every time they played, starting with them touring the first album, so much so that they're still my third most seen live act, even though I've not seen a gig of theirs since 2008. I just drifted away from them after that, not bothering with the albums or going to see them.

There are a few heritage acts that I would always go to see, but have not gone to on their last few visits, and I'm perfectly happy with that; Jackson Browne, Bob Dylan, Randy Newman, Paul Simon, James Taylor, Richard Thompson, Neil Young.

A more recent example would be Rufus Wainwright, who I saw several times and stopped going to see after he toured his fifth album. Also, after the last Tori Amos show I saw, which was awful, I'll never go to see her again.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    CBS 65780 likes this.
  2. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Rod Stewart - 1975 was the last time
    Dylan - from 1974 to 2006
    Ryan Adams - once he split the Cardinals, meh

3. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Nearly everyone. Covering the entertainment industry for years gave me multiple concerts from every artist I love. Though I am kicking myself for skipping the last Prince show here and the last Tom Petty show, thinking I'd just catch them next time.

I think my only must-go shows left are Springsteen and Paul Westerberg. And Paul hasn't been here solo since 2005. But if I told my younger self that someday I'd purposely skip Dylan, U2, Jackson Browne, Neil Young, Elvis Costello, the Rolling Stones, David Byrne, etc. I'd have thought I'd gone senile.

footlooseman, Blastproof and Guy E like this.
  4. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

Great to hear it! I still prefer him solo these days, but of course he's the best no matter what!

5. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

But....was it really The Who when you saw them? Because if it was, that chair would not be totally intact. :eek:

markbrow likes this.
  6. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Paul McCartney - his setlist needs a change, more Wings/solo songs !

footlooseman and andrewskyDE like this.
  7. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

Jethro Tull.

I quit seeing them when I saw their Thick as Brick 2 tour with main vocalist, Ryan O'Donnell (yup, you read that right).

footlooseman likes this.
  8. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

Ryan Adams

I saw Ryan live somewhere in the region of 20 times between 2001 and 2013 or so. The guy was legendary in the beginning, he was obviously very close to edge in his life and that spilled on to the stage. His artistry at that time though was breathtaking.

Over the years you could see that spark slowly diminish. It started with the Cardinals, namely the Neal Casal era Cardinals. Ryan had gone from a leaving everything out there master of the alt country scene to something akin to a diet version of a MOR Eagles cover band.

He came back to life with some solo acoustic shows around the Ashes & Rain (if that's even the album title) release, but by then I felt like the artist in him had gone. The last thing I heard of his was his version of 1989, which sounded like a poor GarageBand demo.

Those first few years though were like what I imagine Neil Young in his prime was like. Each night you were watching pure magic. Wonderful.

DaveJ and markbrow like this.
  9. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

I saw Slade about 50 times.
    The line-up without Holder and Lea was excruciatingly bad, so I stopped going.

10. joeortonjr

joeortonjr Forum Resident

Elton John. Stopped seeing him live after 1992. I still buy each studio album, but it just became too depressing how he ignores 85% of his catalogue in concert. Now that his voice is gone and he's forced to bellow each number, I'm no longer tempted.

PooreBoy and markbrow like this.
  11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever Thread Starter

I think the Dead probably shouldn't count in this thread since they essentially ceased to exist after 1995. The thread's about artists who toured regularly but you skipped their shows, not ones who broke up or died or retired.

Yeah, I know various incarnations of Dead-like bands have toured, but I don't believe any of them officially called themselves "The Grateful Dead". As far as I can tell, even the "Fare Thee Well" tour advertised as "Celebrating 50 Years of the Grateful Dead" without formally claiming "the Grateful Dead" would perform...

davers likes this.
  12. Oatsdad

I've seen EC on almost every tour from 1983 to date. I missed some due to geography - ie, the 1986 band shows - and some because I didn't feel like spending the money! When he came through solo a few years back, I just wasn't interested enough to spend $90 or so on a ticket - I've seen him a lot and I know I'm not gaga over the solo shows.

But I still usually see EC, so he doesn't count for me in this thread...

footlooseman likes this.
  13. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

N.R.B.Q. They lost Joey...they lost their mojo...Terry became 'political'.
    Fun no more.

bluejimbop and Fullbug like this.
  14. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

The same thing happened to me when my daughter was born. It lasted for quite a while... a night out is very expensive when baby-sitting costs are factored-in.

footlooseman likes this.
  15. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

The solo show had only a few highlights: any songs from 1980 and earlier. The newest stuff was meandering and boring, truthfully. He invested far more focused energy in the old material...which is what he should deliver more of.

He’s an artist, I can cut him some slack. But his newer stuff didn’t cut it.

footlooseman likes this.
  16. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

KISS. I saw them every time they came to Detroit from Jan 78, to the Tiger Stadium reunion show in 96. I have only seen them twice since then, both times for free, since friends bought a ticket for me for these shows. I didn't ask them to. They knew I was a fan, and they wanted to go to the show with me. 2003 w/Aerosmith and Ted Nugent, and 2009 for the first show of the Sonic Boom tour. Both were great shows. I still LOVE the band, but I no longer want to go to large arenas with huge crowds anymore.

17. Saul Pimon

Saul Pimon Co-hosts Nothing Is Real Beatles Podcast (Jason!)

I can understand this. I saw Suede as many times as possible between 94-02, but that last gig in and the New Morning album were very poor. I could’ve gone to see the first reunion show in London but I thought they were done, and I was done too. I was convinced to go see them in 2016 when they did the Night Thoughts album in the first half then an intense setlist of hits. They were phenomenal, and I was wrong.

Back to the thread topic: I’ve stopped going to see Ron Sexsmith after about a dozen gigs. Haven’t seen him in over a decade. Not sure why...

18. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

Van Halen. The recent live videos prove to me that I'm not missing anything at all.

Meyer likes this.
  19. Oatsdad

Another one for me: Sting.

Saw the last 2 Police tours and then every Sting solo tour for years. The dishwater-dull 2011 shows were the last straw - he's just been so "safe" and bland for too much of the time.

I did go to the dual show with Peter Gabriel - which was great - but I'm probably done with Sting on his own...

ConnieGuitar and audiotom like this.
  20. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

Lol... you would have liked my parents.

Sunday family lunch is basically my mom and sister in Laws laying out the babysitting schedule for the week.

And my mom is like "how many times do I get to watch them?"

Note: I don't plan on having kids, so I don't really care.

21. Jimbo912

Jimbo912 Forum Resident

The English Beat for me. I saw them every time they came to town a few years back and they played the same songs every show. The last time I saw them I met Dave Wakeling(the leader and only original member) and I asked why they kept playing the same songs all the time. He replied,"those are the only songs the bass player knows" and I'm pretty sure he was being serious.

Fullbug likes this.
  22. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

John Mellencamp
    Sting
    Elton John
    Steely Dan
    Depeche Mode (unless Alan returns)
    Kiss (unless the original 4 tour again)

23. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

This is Dave's band it has not been The Beat since the Mid 80's

markbrow likes this.
  24. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

They did do a major reunion with Roger in the early '90s but it didn't last long.

25. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I’m largely done with shows period at this point but for a few shows a year by artists I love that don’t charge a mortage payment for a ticket. If my wife and I can go together for no more than $150 all in I can deal with that.

I started going to concerts at age 13 in 1976. I’ve pretty much seen every artist I’d ever wanted to see and am content with that. But when I look over my nearly complete book of ticket stubs and see how reasonably priced shows used to be I get sad and angry over where things stand today. The ticket prices (and fees!) have far outpaced the inflation rate, it’s just gouging now, and for those still willing to pay that steep price I wish them well and say “Enjoy the show!”

Muggles and Guy E like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.