Artists You're "Supposed To Be Into" But Just Don't Care About That Much

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Waves Crashing, Mar 10, 2018.

1. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Love it.

2. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Thread Cliff's Notes

1. Legit answer
    2. Virtue signal too cool for topic
    3. Virtue signal too advanced in musical knowledge or taste to dislike anything
    4. Repeat

3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

The Grateful Dead and Phish. The Dead because they're the one really significant band whom I don't really appreciate, and Phish because I'm from Vermont and Phish is the only really significant Vermont rock band.

4. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

You missed "Sarcastic meta-reply communicating contempt for people whose company you willingly endure."

I mean, you didn't miss it actually, you just failed to define it properly.

5. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Too many for me to list.

I'm also "not supposed" to be into many I am.

I really don't care.

6. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I never miss it actually;)

7. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

As soon as I figure out where I get the list of "what I'm supposed to like" from, I'll let you know if there are any artists on it that I don't care for.

ihadadog and ronm like this.
  8. JeffHunt

JeffHunt Stray Cat Strutting

Beatles, Rush, Pink Floyd, Nirvana, Black Sabbath, Grateful Dead, Jethro Tull

NudieSuitNezHead and Frank like this.
  9. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

Kanye West, Kendrick LaMar or any other acclaimed hip hop artists...sorry :shh:

10. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

I like your style. Make burgers from the sacred cows! ;-)

11. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Is anyone "supposed to be into" anything at any age?

I'd like "supposed to be into" defined. Anytime there's any kind of "should" clause involved, I want to know why. If it's only because lots of others like the particular artist or record, well, that's never influenced me much, not when I was young, and not now. I knew at 11 (when I began my record collecting hobby) that life was going to pass by too fast to let others decide things I should decide for myself, and now at 58 I've concluded I was right.

12. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Never got Nirvana, the Smashing Pumpkins, Weezer, Radiohead, or Pearl Jam. I'm just young enough to have missed the moments for all of them by a matter of a couple years, and never caught up.

13. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

I love Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains, but just can't get into Pearl Jam.

I also love Stone Temple Pilots, who were regarded as Pearl Jam knockoffs back in the day. :shrug:

14. Mugrug12

I'd say your post falls under number 2, yes?

bagstiv, ianuaditis and luckybaer like this.
  15. Jimijam

Jimijam Forum Resident

Joni Mitchell
    Sex pistols

Frank likes this.
  16. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Cliff's notes 2 and 3.

Entries of this nature are very strange. Honestly, you know what it means. "Critical Darlings" that you don't get the appeal of. "Buzz bands" where you don't understand why they get the buzz. "Supposed to be into" is in quotes - meaning other people think you're "supposed to be into" them. Either there are bands that fall into this category and you list them here, or there aren't and you move on.

So, congrats. We now know you're cool music dudes who march to the beat of your own personal drummer and don't concern yourselves with music reviews and the like. But the question was whether there are any "the coolest band in the world" bands that you personally never saw the appeal of.

I love the topic. I never "got" a lot of the critical darling bands. I never understood why Radiohead gets praised when they had two good songs in the 90s and nothing worthwhile since. I never understood why Green Day got elevated to sainthood when they started out a retread and only got less original over time. There are about 15 albums so far this year that I'd listen to before I'd listen to another R.E.M. album ever.

It's a fun topic if you actually participate without preening.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    Desolation Row, Hermes, bzfgt and 4 others like this.
  17. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Still like it defined, regardless of what I "know" or don't know.

"Cool music dude" is your term, not mine.

I did concern myself, a bit, with music reviews long, long ago and found my tastes often completely contrary to the "buzz" or lack thereof so just got bored with them.

And yes to the march to the beat of my own personal drummer. Something I'd recommend to anyone.:thumbsup:

18. Mugrug12

I feel like I'm supposed to like os mutantes but maybe I've just been unlucky checking them out? I blame myself.

I hate steely Dan. People always talking about steely Dan.

Louis Armstrong- his voice always scared the schitt outta me. Like a monster.

For everyone who said the smiths- take it back.

Earscape and Frank like this.
  19. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

The Boss, Billy Joel, Dire Straits

NudieSuitNezHead and Earscape like this.
  20. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

I've actually encountered this situation professionally, as strange as that may sound. I've worked for an opera company for nearly 20 years, and I have my likes and dislikes, as most people do with any genre of music. There's just this reaction of horror from many coworkers, though, when they find out I don't care for Verdi (or Wagner, or Strauss, etc.).

Coworker: "Don't you just love Verdi operas?"

Me: "No, I don't really enjoy Verdi."

Coworker: "What? He's the greatest composer who ever lived! You have to love him!"

Me: "Well, the first time or two we go through one of his operas, it's OK, but by the tenth time through, I hate it."

Coworker: (walks away silently judging me)

21. Phasecorrect

And yes....Steely Dan....make up your mine, jazz or rock, not a hybrid ok

Henry B likes this.
  22. Phasecorrect

U kidding me? Sabbath were groundbreaking. While everyone else was still stoned out hippy dippy, they invented a new language. Their first four lps are as good as anybody's. Tony has great riffs , the rhythm section is world class, and Ozzy is Ozzy.

Hermes, luckybaer and bzfgt like this.
  23. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

Nirvana - In-fact, I despise their music. Bleach is the very worst album I've ever heard. Nevermind has an extraordinarily good 3 track opener and then everything else is so incredibly average and bland it blows my mind. Haven't heard In Utero. I do like their sense of humour and rebellion, though, unlike another group of posers I'm about to mention.
    The Rolling Stones - Don't have anything against their music, just them. Might get into them at some point.
    David Bowie - Haven't heard his music, but I absolutely hate him as a person.
    Queen - I'm more butthurt that people give a singles band so much praise, but I'd be open to listening to more of them.
    Bob Dylan - I don't like folk or his voice, but he seems like a decent bloke with great lyrics, just not for me.
    The Kinks - They've got talent, but damn if those aren't some of the worst vocals of classic rock, and their music seems very basic and dull. Definitely don't get the hype. Something Else is a decent album, though.
    Janis Joplin - Can you please not claw at my ears, Janis?
    The Byrds - Only heard their generally best received album once but I'd love to not have to again. Eight Miles High is killer, though.
    Kanye West - I hate you with all my might.

Yeah, I'm a bit of a hipster, even though what I like is limited to only incredibly highly praised bands like the ones mentioned above. I'm sure I disappointed at least everyone with a choice here. I respect anyone who likes this stuff though, even Bowie's music, as long as you don't like him as a person.
    I would've mentioned Jimi Hendrix 2 days ago, but after listening to Are You Experienced for the third or fourth time I think I finally get it.

24. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

People complaining about the title of the thread, especially considering there are quotation marks over 'supposed to' really need to grow up. You aren't saying anything new and it should be clear what the OP was trying to say. Go visit another thread if you aren't going to answer the question.

TSWisla, OldSoul, patrickd and 7 others like this.
  25. Phasecorrect

If I never hear Opera again it would be too soon