AS you get older, do you find yourself using your system/s more than you used to?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by csgreene, Oct 5, 2021.

1. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

I retired after teaching 8th graders for 32 years. I enjoyed my job but like all things it had it's positives and negatives. I talked (before leaving) about coming back on a part time basis, and / or continuing to teach driver education (a side job with the school system). At the end of the first month of retirement I woke up and realized there was a pension check that had deposited in my account over night. I rolled over and went back to sleep knowing that for the rest of my life (and my wife's if I die first) the state was going to pay me not to go to work. Any thoughts of going back to work in any capacity were completely erased from my mind.

jek57, Ingenieur, Clonesteak and 4 others like this.
  2. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident Thread Starter

I can't explain the Monk joke I made yesterday, you either get it or don't but this post is something I can comment on. While I ran my own business for a few decades and my retirement funds come from my investments, my wife just retired earlier this year after 33 years with a PERS pension from her job in California to which she was able to telecommute for the past 26 years. She didn't think she'd be able to survive on a pension. That is, until the first check was deposited. Because of no longer investing in all the retirement options available to her during her career aside from PERS, her take home is more than it was when she was working. She doesn't even file for SS for another year (waiting for FRA). In the end, our retirement income is more than our income from when we worked (because neither of us needs to add more to our investment accounts, although we will). Sweet! Just hope we live enough years to enjoy it all.

Ingenieur, Clonesteak and lazydawg58 like this.
  3. Bert Oz

Bert Oz Forum Resident

I've been teachimg 11 to 18 year olds for 34 years. You've earnt that check buddy. Roll over and rock on.

4. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

About 55 hrs a week with the system at work(Yamaha/Paradigm )and about 20 hrs a week with my home system hasn't changed much into my 61st year.I am a complete creature of habit....but(and yep i know it's not really the posted question)i do seem to enjoy and explore the music itself more than ever.

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

No..I always used and use my systems as much as time will allow...

djost likes this.
  6. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

one of the most important professions.
    I had good teachers that kept me challenged.

McLover and lazydawg58 like this.
  7. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

In general terms, yes, because I have more time.

siebrand and lazydawg58 like this.
  8. Mike Martin

Mike Martin Member

I am 67 and working full time. Being recently widowed the WAF is off the table. Audio systems upgrades has become a new interests. Besides working my business, to stay alert, Running, for my body, audio has opened up a joy I alway had but never the time. Funny thing now is as I improve the quality of parts in my systems all musical types hold my ear. The other surprise is how Apple Music is often good enough. Streaming that artist quickly in the moment often counts more that the quality. Who would have know. After all the bucks. That instant juice matters most……… just like my best ever……… lousy car stereo.

Boomy likes this.
  9. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Sorry for your loss. How long you lived in the 'Burgh? I grew up there. Left in '81.

10. Mike Martin

Mike Martin Member

Born and raised. North Hills. My youth was a world of unlocked doors…… out from dawn till dusk. Like a dream so wonderful!

Bill Hart likes this.
  11. B. Scarpia

B. Scarpia WatchingYouWatchingMe

I love commercials and deeply resent it when I'm watching Progressive Flo and an NFL Game breaks out.

hifisoup and Ingenieur like this.
  12. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Yes. Much more.

Boomy likes this.
  13. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

Hi Mike:

I’m sorry to hear about the passing of ur wife. It’s hard to understand how that effects the surviving spouse. As a pastor I have seen that close up, yet in most cases I’m at a loss for words.

I retired from my other job with the state three years ago. Since than, I have came back to this hobby. A few months ago I decided to listen to different genre of music. Why? One might ask. Because as I’ve aged (68) I’ve learned it’s best to keep myself open to different experiences. (I cringe when I think about what I have passed on in my life). Otherwise, how do u know what u might be missing.

Now, I’m also a vinyl guy and old R & R guy. I’m grateful there are various thrift stores in the area. It’s been interesting if not always good. Lol.

BTW, I used to run a lot more than presently. Its a great way to remove stress and to simply think about things.

Do well my friend.

siebrand likes this.
  14. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Oh how I wish. I am thinking to duplicate myself into another dimension, where I can get divorced, live by myself, listen to music all the time, and be supported by myself in this dimension.

15. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I'm REALLY sorry to hear that, I absolutely know what it feels like. A best friend since junior high did not take care of himself and dropped dead one night in front of his kids at 37. Still miss the hell out of him :cry:

McLover and John Barta like this.
  16. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I'm listening a lot more, since I retired than before because I have more time. Prior to retiring, I was listening to music a lot more and watching TV a lot less than I did in my twenties because I have a much larger record collection and because 99% of today's TV shows are garbage, at least in my opinion.

siebrand and Ingenieur like this.
  17. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

The way I see it, I'm not using "my system" as much as I used to, because...I have a lot more systems demanding my time!

I just spent the afternoon sorting and separating mp3 files from multiple resources on my desktop, into folders of music for general play, music for bedtime, music for Christmastime, and music that really don't have anyplace more appropriate to go to than "mine". Several hundred of these are already properly meta-tagged and consistent-sized jpegs, so these are already in those folders. Several, hundred, being from different sources, may not be, so they have to reside into the "To general play", "To Bedtime", "To Christmas" etc folders, until I can take the time to go through them, re-tag if needed, and search the net for the right jpegs to Photoshop, to crop and re-size before moving those files into the right folders. I have a master folder for these folders on my desktop, and every few months I'll refresh the same folders on SD-card storage on three Kindle Fire tablets I and others use, to keep them current. I also have a family-photo file I try to keep up with as well, harvesting shots from friends and family on FB, as well as my own ongoing scanning project, which includes Photoshop re-touching and recovering the oldest and dingiest of my originals, which no other family member has in this quality. So, that whole quest is ongoing.

I also have a number of current music files from online I improve via Adobe Audition, for both these files above, and flash drives and burning CD-R's for the cars. So...that's ongoing.

I'm also making time to continue to produce megamixes, mixtape collections, edits and extended versions, and the same sort of augmentations to the original tracks I own, which I have been doing since I discovered what fun it can be to work in a radio production studio, back in 1978. People ask me what my favorite videogame is, I tell them "Adobe Audition".

I also have times of the day I can listen in private to my surround collection on the big system. I have a policy of not putting them with the rest of the collection until I've auditioned them completely at least once.

I also still have stacks of un-auditioned CD's I don't file in those collections until I've listened to them completely on headphones.

Then, aside from the Mp3-sorting/filing/tagging process, I also have the NAS ripping project, and every CD and CD-R will have a new home in FLAC (which also, if I live long enough, will replace most of my mp3 collection in most of their current uses).

And in addition to all those...my wife and I enjoy music on the road. And over the Kindles, plugged-into a small system upstairs, and a smaller powered speaker in the bedroom.

And...if I haven't mentioned it...we also occasionally have time to listen to the main system. So the answer isn't whether or not I enjoy my system more than I used to, so much as...WHICH ONE! :faint:

18. Ingenieur

Sorry for your loss, I know how'd I miss mine.

I went to school in Pittsburgh, I moved away for a long time, 20+ years.
    Back in the area, 50 miles south of the 'Burg.

Pittsburgh is a great city and the area has a lot of nice areas with the mountains, etc.

If you're ever near Ohiopyle I'll buy you a drink (coffee for me).

19. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Haven't turned on the record player for a month.

20. Ingenieur

Now's a good as time as any
    :D

SpeedMorris likes this.
  21. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident Thread Starter

I should have probably worded the topic title differently and asked if, as you're getting older, do you find your listening to music time more precious?

Ingenieur likes this.
  22. Ingenieur

As I get older I find TIME (period) more precious.
    :agree:

chervokas and SpeedMorris like this.
  23. Artie2

Artie2 Well-Known Member

Funny you mention that. I'm a little embarrassed to say that I've discovered several examples of "new" music from commercials. (And I turn 68 exactly one month from now.)

Geowulf - "Saltwater": Corona beer
    Club Yoko - "I Like It": Microsoft
    2NE1 - "I Am the Best": some car commercial. (I think.) (Nope - Microsoft again.)

There's been a few. :whistle:

Ingenieur likes this.
  24. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Like @Ingenieur , as I get older I find time is more precious -- I can feel it running out, it's more an more obviously the one thing I can't recover once it's been lost, and I have more and more demands on mine: work, family commitments, other kind of obligations. I envy those of you who are retired. Like may other people I know, I don't know if I'll ever be in a financial position where retirement is an option, I just hope I'll be able to find some business willing to keep playing me to do something when I'm ancient. I do listen to music very differently now than when I was young. When I was young, I always had music playing whenever I was doing anything. Now I rarely put on music unless I have enough free time to actually sit down in my music room and listen to do, doing nothing else. I'm not much of a background music listener anymore. I don't know if I value the time I spend listening to music on my hifi more than I did. But it is more precious in the sense that it's become a think I rarely have the opportunity to do despite the fact that I love it.

Lenny99 likes this.
  25. Professor Batty

Professor Batty Forum Resident

I used to run sound (active mix, doing arrangements) and kind of burned out on listening to music for a while. Since retiring, I have three systems going (four if you count DVD/CD/TV) and I find that I do listen more, but not regularly, but not to radio, I don't have a receiver in any of them. Streaming is too much, however, I'd rather get into artists via albums than algorithms.