AS you get older, do you find yourself using your system/s more than you used to?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by csgreene, Oct 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

When you're a kid the road ahead it long, endless, time is irrelevant. So you spend it wastefully at times.

As you get older, the road gets shorter, you see it is finite. Time becomes relevant.
    This may cause anxiety.

Drown in it or ride it like a wave, go with the flow or swim upstream.
    imho, that is the challenge.

2. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

You're worrying about all the wrong things! You're latest shopping excursion (Luxman L 509x) is where you're head needs to be.

McLover likes this.
  3. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Since I got married my system useage is is about the same or slightly less.What has changed is I’m listening a lot more to my cds than my vinyl.Don’t want to listen to vinyl on Friday night when I just want to relax and have a few beers while listening to my music.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  4. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

I too am getting older and at my age 68, I am also more conscious of time running out. It’s a strange feeling. I’ve never been one to run from reality so it’s obvious I don’t have a great many years left. In all I find age a bit perplexing. How it makes me feel mentally and physically.

I’m very aware of age’s effect on me when I put on a vinyl. I have to be extra careful because of arthritis in my hands. Also, I need the volume higher than in the past.

Though these things are a normal occurrence as one ages, that doesn’t make them any easier to endure.

On the other side, I appreciate music much more than in the past. And I’m more patient with my listening habits. I’ll listen to an entire side of vinyl rather than bomb a couple songs. I have actually listened to music I would never consider in the past.

That’s all at home. In my car I try to be very careful while driving. Usually I’ll move to a file I have saved, start it and let in play.

siebrand, jek57 and inperson like this.
  5. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I go in spurts and right now yes, I am listening more and trying to go to bed earlier. I like to listen to something relaxing before I hit the hay. I find as I get older I am listening to less rock and more very light music. Right now I love this album. Sappy I know but give it a try.

[​IMG]

McLover, Ingenieur and Lenny99 like this.
  6. jek57

jek57 Forum Resident

I've been into audio since my teens been through many many systems I'm 64 cancer at 62 in remission now thank God and I do listen to music now much more than in the past because of the digital age streaming it has opened up a whole lot of music options also didn't hurt that as a retirement gift with the wife's blessings I was ae to buy a McIntosh Mc152 and wharfadales diamonds 11.4s . But through all that music has been a blessing to me!

Hook, siebrand, GyroSE and 2 others like this.
  7. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

I have recently purchased a Dean Martin album along with a Glen Campbell album. Not sappy, but not R and R.

I might take a shot with your album.

inperson likes this.
  8. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

Really, why?

9. VU Master

VU Master Senior Member

YesI have, for sure. It's partly because I'm edging into retirement and have more free time, but also because enjoying music, which has always been important to me, is even more important now. Books too, though I still get out a lot.

10. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

Same!

It is making me crazy. I have the system that I dreamed of, I have fantastic records and streaming options and my available time for music is at an all time low, at least on my main system. I use a speaker in the kitchen while cooking almost every day but concentrated listening is at a low relative to the last few years. Mostly due to social commitments that take me out of my house.

All that said, I still like it just as much and dream of more upgrades ;)

11. ayrehead

ayrehead Bipedal Forum Resident

It seems like the older I get the less free time I have. Too much other stuff competing for my time.

Tim 2 and saturdayboy like this.
  12. Ingenieur

I'm not not worried.
    I have reconciled.
    No fear of mortality, only of not having lived.
    ;)

Vandersteen Treo CT on the radar

Glmoneydawg and Morbius like this.
  13. Ingenieur

congrats
    keep up the good fight!

14. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I just ordered a MAC7200 today.

jek57 likes this.
  15. Ingenieur

It was on my short list
    It and the Luxman.

I've had a Mac for 12 years, wanted to change it up. The phono section swayed me.
    But the AiO Mac solution with high quality DAC, phono sections and SotA tuner, well it was a tough decision. Plus the power and built like a bank vault.

Only good choices between those two.

If you haven't read the MA7200 Stereophile review, do so, it will make you more anxious to get it. ;)
    $7500 is not a small sum, regardless, it is a bargain.

Morbius likes this.
  16. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I'm a regular subscriber to Stereophile and have read and reread the review several times, in addition I've researched it on other sources as well. I've more than done my due diligence on this product and have been in lust for quite some time.

I got a great deal, $3500 in trade for my MA5300 plus the tax and they're paying the return freight and its all documented. I just have to wait for them to get one in stock to ship. Hopefully COVID won't interfere with that too much.

Ingenieur likes this.
  17. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Hell's yeah! :)

For me it was more a function of what stage / phase of life I was in, not age, compared to now.

In the 2000 timeframe, we two year old twin boys (I was 40 at the time), I was travelling a lot.... put all my 2 channel audio gear, LPs, more into storage. Bought a mid-level HT / AVR system, something that is someone stuck a GI-Joe into the woofer, I wouldn't have an annurism... :)

Ran the HT / AVR based system until around 2015, still have some of the DefTech speakers from that system in secondary systems, the AVR in a storage shed somewhere :) I still had a TT installed, but it sounded like a$$ running through the Phono input on my Denon, so I didn't listen to it often. Actually, it was OK, I had a Denon 4806, which some know was actually quite musical for an AVR... well, as good as they get anyway.

Anyway, when my sons' hit later teens, and Dad became back seat to other interests (around 2015), I took everything back out of storage... and over the next six years till today, bought a bunch of stuff to try, and morphed into TheVinylAddict :help:

jek57, Ingenieur and Glmoneydawg like this.
  18. jek57

jek57 Forum Resident

Thank You so much

Ingenieur likes this.
  19. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

Not scared.
    It's like writing a novel about yourself and what you did with your life.
    The novel simply has an ending.

Don't waste time.
    Try to do what you REALLY wanted to do with what time you have.
    You might not get what you want but you might get what you need.
    Did I hear that somewhere?

Oh---and meanwhile LOOK at all the beauty right in front of you!
    It's almost like a ton of stuff was designed to be a good working setup including the cycle of life.

20. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

[​IMG]

21. brockgaw

brockgaw Forum Resident

Yup!!!!

action pact likes this.
  22. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

23. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Definitely listening to more music as I've gotten older. Our house, garage, cabana, and backyard all have music. :agree:

24. mjcmt

mjcmt Forum Resident

I'm 70 and use the TV/movies/apps 2-channel system more, and my music 2-channel system in a spare room less.

25. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Actually less

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.